Hip-Hop is... Dead?

I was reading an article awhile ago with Nas about his album. He goes on about how he thinks rap over the past couple of years is “Dead” or at least not a real as it used to be. About the album from Nas:

“… Our way of thinking is dead, our commerce is dead. Everything in this society has been done. It’s like a slingshot, where you throw the muthafucka back and it starts losing speed and is about to fall down.”

What do you guys think about Hip-Hop/Rap being dead?

IMO, Money has changed the game. Just like it does with everything. Look at the NFL, MLB, NBA, Rock N Roll, etc. None have that raw old school feel that they used to have. Nothing wrong with it, just different and hard to compare to days past.

Things have a different feel to them when first starting, once those dollars come in, the game changes and never looks back.

Hip hop is dead? I think not.

Theres good Hip Hop out there you just have to look a little harder. It’s been commercialized and every things been done to death. Its like disco.

Theres people like Nas, Jay, Joe Budden, Royce, Saigon, Jay Cole, Pusha T, etc. Theres good rap out there it just isn’t profitable. Instead we get bullshit on the radio.

Maybe this is more your speed

There’s good stuff out there

The good stuff will never be played on the radio

I don’t know I. I can always find some good new stuff I have never heard before.

It died March 9 1997

[quote]dk44 wrote:
IMO, Money has changed the game. Just like it does with everything. Look at the NFL, MLB, NBA, Rock N Roll, etc. None have that raw old school feel that they used to have. Nothing wrong with it, just different and hard to compare to days past.

Things have a different feel to them when first starting, once those dollars come in, the game changes and never looks back.[/quote]

This right here.

Hip hop ain’t dead but it’s gone into hiding

It’s far from dead, Kanye’s last album more than proved that it isn’t.

Excellent picks, LIFTICVSMAXIMVS.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:
It’s far from dead, Kanye’s last album more than proved that it isn’t. [/quote]

I loved that album, but it was hard for me to classify it as hiphop- it seemed to transcend genres and defy definition.

Rap or hip-hop is like rock, all the good stuff is underground and never played on the radio or television.

HIP HOP SHOULD FAVOUR NONE! IM A FEMALE UNDERGROUND HIP HOP SUPPORTER AND LUV CANN OX, ILLOGIC, AESOP ROCK, AND MANY OTHER DEF JUX RAPPERS

HIP HOP IS NOT DEAD! ITS HIDING OUT THERE AND IF U WANT, GO SEEK IT AND YOU WILL FIND IT.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Hip hop is dead? I think not.

God damn that’s a good song.

[quote]sanele19 wrote:
HIP HOP IS NOT DEAD! ITS HIDING OUT THERE AND IF U WANT, GO SEEK IT AND YOU WILL FIND IT.[/quote]

This isn’t Twitter. Nor is hip-hop a religion, so stop acting like it.