Hip/Groin Injury After Deadlifts. Anyone Have Anything Like This?

I’m a lifting noob, 38 years old. I’ve been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the last 9 months or so. Prior to this, I’ve never lifted at all before. I’ve run into my first “injury.” I am curious if those who are far more experienced than me might have run into something like this before.

I was doing my deadlifts and I had worked up to 330 5x5. I finished them fine, but afterwards, my right hip felt, “off.”

In my groin area on the right, I’ve have a weird sensation for about a week. The strange thing is that I can’t say that I have any pain, more of a strange feeling. When I stand or walk for long periods of time, my upper thigh feels weak (like it would if it were tired.)

I read all of the horror stories on the internet about hernias, but I cannot see or feel any bulge of any kind, there is no pain with bending or exertion.

Here’s the weirdest part, exercising seems to make it feel better. I took a break for a couple of days and then went back to squats. The squats produce no pain at all, and it actually feels better when I do them. Then the weird sensation comes back after I sit for long periods of time.

I have a very sedentary job, and I am on my butt for hours and hours at a computer.

I can kinda feel a knot in my extreme upper thigh (nothing on the abdominal wall) and the weird feeling moves in that direction.

I figured if it were a groin pull or strain, it would be debilitating pain, and this definitely isn’t that. To the extent that there is a pain, it’s more of an “off” feeling. I’d put it at a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10.

Has anyone ever run into something like this before? I haven’t hit the deadlifts since this happened about a week ago, do you think it’s worth trying or should I wait?

Are you stretching before and after deads? I ended up with TERRIBLE pain from my piriformis clamping down on a nerve. Basically, I was hitting deads super hard but never stretching.

1 Like

Hi, I just wanted to chime in with really getting your hip flexors loose and warmed up. I had problems forever with tight hip flexors causing many issues from sitting so much. If you look up some things on this topic it’ll show you warm ups to help with it.

I mean it definitely can’t hurt and I’ve had great success with fixing my hip mobility and tightness. It transferred positively to stopping groin, adductor, knee pain etc and activating my glutes way better. I pull sumo now and find this works better for me.

I also use a lacrosse ball to work out any tightness or knots before I start my workout. Warming up like this sucks but is worth it imo.