Hip Flexors: Forgotten Muscle?

With all the focus on eliminating the hip flexors on ab training and what have you, is the hip flexor pretty much undertrained?
Does anyone do any hip flexor specific training? What and how?

I remember reading something by Thibs where he said to build decent hip flexors you get on a leg extension, perform a rep, hold the top position and lift your leg (you won’t be able to lift it, obviously, but you try). Never tried it but the theory seems sound.

Leg raises… prolly as much flexors as abs.

Dave Tate has written about how when he was at Westside he would do sled drags with the straps around his ankles to strengthen his hip flexors while doing his GPP work.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
Dave Tate has written about how when he was at Westside he would do sled drags with the straps around his ankles to strengthen his hip flexors while doing his GPP work. [/quote]

oh god that sounds horrible

1 Like

I heard Dave Tate used to eat his morning oatmeal with a spoon-shaped cable machine attachment to build his wrist flexors.

Dave Tate must have very strong flexors then.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
With all the focus on eliminating the hip flexors on ab training and what have you[/quote]
Even if people minimize hip flexor use when training abs (and I’m not sure a lot of people do), the hip flexors are still activated a bunch with things like deep squats, glute bridges/hip thrusts, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, planks, and sprints.

I’d bet they’re not really undertrained in most lifters. If anything, they tend to be chronically tight/shortened/inefficiently-activated from overuse - sitting all day at work, shallow squats, a lack of unilateral leg work, etc.

For sure though, top powerlifters might address the hip flexors specifically with the foot-strapped sled drags, “wrong way” hanging leg raises, lying leg raises, etc., if that’s something they’ve determined to be holding back their lifts. But I don’t think it’s something most people with a decent training program and decent form need to worry about.