Hip Flexor Tendonitis

I woke up the morning after a BJJ class and my left hip flexors were in so much pain I could hardly stand. It would take the breath out of me any time I put weight on it. After foam rolling it for about 10 minutes I got some relief and was able to bench press (with no leg drive of course). Has anyone else had this issue? How long did it take foe you to get back to your usual athletic activities and what rehab methods helped you the most?

For now I have been Foam rolling it a lot, doing some hip flexor and psoas stretches, taking naproxen twice a day and alternating hot and cold.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
I woke up the morning after a BJJ class and my left hip flexors were in so much pain I could hardly stand. It would take the breath out of me any time I put weight on it. After foam rolling it for about 10 minutes I got some relief and was able to bench press (with no leg drive of course). Has anyone else had this issue? How long did it take foe you to get back to your usual athletic activities and what rehab methods helped you the most?

For now I have been Foam rolling it a lot, doing some hip flexor and psoas stretches, taking naproxen twice a day and alternating hot and cold.[/quote]

You shouldn’t be foam rolling or stretching it. If it was a sudden thing, that means you have an acute injury caused by stress. Stretching and foam rolling will actually increase recovery time this. Your best bet would probably be to rest for 24-48hrs. Then start moving and trying to get blood into the area.

This problem has been chronic, it has just never been this bad. It started about a year ago and would go up and down in severity. I just did something to irritate it a lot. Strangely, there was no discomfort the night before while at the bjj class or afterward.

Make sure your hip is moving correctly. Lay down and do a few clam shells, make sure you glute is abducting your leg, and that your hip flexor isn’t acting up and doing the work.

I’m not super experienced in BJJ but I imagine that it would be easy to develop weird movement patterns after getting into those crazy positions. Especially in the hips, when in your guard position, with your legs and feet going all over the place.

Be sure to roll those IT bands and stretch your quads as well.

It’s getting better really rapidly. I am able to walk and do bodyweight squats with no pain so I’ll baby it the rest of the week and then slowly get back into my regular activity. Thanks for the replies.