T Nation

Hip Flexor Strain

I hurt my hip while squatting about 2 weeks ago and it still hurts. After doing a little research, I have come to the conclusion that I strained/pulled my right hip flexor. Squatting low, or raising my leg up towards my chest hurts the upper anterior portion of my leg. So it even hurts a bit to walk or go upstairs.

Also, the hip bone is really tender… feels bruised when any pressure is placed on it. Does anyone have any idea of how to heal this? Some web sites say to stretch it, others say not to, some say to ice, other to heat it… not sure what to actually do. I would like to get it heal ASAP… I haven’t been able to squat since and I really want to be able to get back at it soon.

Thanks

Rest it.
Ice the area for 5 mins, heat for 5 mins over an hour 2-3 times a day for a couple of days if necessary.
After the inital few days/week then stretch it and maybe perform some lying straight (uni-lateral) leg raises if the pain isn’t bad, you want to aim for a tight, nagging pain that kinda feels like you WANT to work/stretch it.

This is good for a low/medium level (upto type II) strain, and it wont be worse than that as it isnt a rupture by the sound of it…

but if it is a whole lot worse than this, go to a professional sports therapist in person and get stretches, deep tissue and exercises for real.

my 2 pence!

Same thing happened to me during baseball. I’m a catcher. I would heat/STEM before practice and Ice/STEM after practice. If you have access to a stem machine it will help if not I agree with Joe. I would prefer Ice/Rest for a few days to see if it gets better. After the rest slowly work back into training the muscle.

Gerdy