T Nation

Hip Flexor Pain with Box Squat

When I box squat with a wide stance and especially when I sumo deadlift I get this pain in my right hip flexor around lockout. Is this hip flexor weakness or just the wide stance beating up my hips? Should I be worried here?

Are you new to box squatting? We have a training partner who had the same problem, who was new to box squatting (and pretty new to lifting in general). I had him do lots of wide stance sled drags every time we squatted.

After a couple weeks, he was able to squat without pain. His hip flexors just needed to be brought up first.

Yea they’re fairly new for me, I did about a 2 month rotation with them as the main lift in the WS4SB template, but never got any pain. I took off about 3 weeks from box squats and started sumo deadlifting, which is when I noticed the pain. Now im coming back to them and feeling pain. Should I specifically look to strengthen the hip flexors of will they work themselves out?

foam roll man, foam roll

I get that pain sometimes, and when I do I notice I’m standing with all my weight on the heels of my feet. When my weight is more evenly distributed across my feet, there’s much less, if any, pain. This may be something to be mindful of when you’re squatting.

[quote]Waitingforcoyote wrote:
When I box squat with a wide stance and especially when I sumo deadlift I get this pain in my right hip flexor around lockout. Is this hip flexor weakness or just the wide stance beating up my hips? Should I be worried here?[/quote]

Wide stance squatting might not be for you my friend. Are you getting pain in the muscle or the joint?

Dynamic warm up. Blue Heat is a gift from the gods. Hot Pink is even better. Also, Once i get warmed up my hips don’t bother me until at least the next day. Seriously, Blue Heat.