Hip Flexor Pain While Squatting

Quick one for you guys, Im new to the page and in the beginner/intermediate phase in lifting… again. My hip flexors have been killing me after I squat. They do not hurt when I am doing my work load sets, but they do bother me when I am warming up and stretching, After my work sets they are fine for a hour or so then they get so sore I can hardly walk up stairs with out using the hand rails. Is this still newness wearing off. I am following Jim Ripptoes Starting Strength program, mixed with a little of J Wendlers 5/3/1. I have never had this problem in the past, but I have also never squatted so deep before, (Following Starting Strength), where my hips drop below my knees. Please give me some suggestion as what to do to help. Thanks.

post a video

Agreed, you should post a video to diagnose form issues, however I did have the same problem when I started and after a month or so my body adjusted and I was pain free.

Without seeing a video I am betting you are squatting to low compared how wide your going. If your squatting wide going down super low can cause pain in the hips usually due to a lack of flexibility. You can either get more mobility or bring your squat in closer. If you squat close already then I have no clue and will need video.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Without seeing a video I am betting you are squatting to low compared how wide your going. If your squatting wide going down super low can cause pain in the hips usually due to a lack of flexibility. You can either get more mobility or bring your squat in closer. If you squat close already then I have no clue and will need video.[/quote]

^ Yup, I have the same problem. Bringing your stance in will take some stress off your hips. I also found some ab work, and back extensions help.

What’s your warm up look like?

Pretty sure if OP gets hella sore hip flexors from leg work, that means he probably has hella weak underdeveloped glutes. Pretty common stuff. Very common in our society nowadays.

I’m with Reed on this one. I had to bring my stance in narrower when I ran Smolov because it was tearing my hips apart. Also, if you pull sumo, this can add to the stress on the hips.

I found that stretching and foam rolling the hips helped, but the breakthrough for me was warming up on the adductor and abductor machines totally ended my hip flexor pain which had stopped me squatting for a good 4-6 months.

Sorry, it took me so long to respond to some of your replies. I will try to change up my stance and see what happens, if that does not work, I will post a video. Thanks for all the help and advice.