Hip Cramps With Leg Curls

I just finished my workout for today. My last one was the Leg Curls today. I have one of those benches that have the Leg extension/curl adaptation on the base. It rocks ass as far as the extensions go.

I just started back at working out last week. Both days looked like this: Dead Lifts, Standing Calf Raises, Leg Extensions, and THEN Leg Curls. EVERY time I try to do the curls, I get a muscle cramping on my hip. The more I lean forward, the hip cramps on the side I am working out. The more I stay in a upward, standing position, the hip opposite to the side I’m working out starts cramping.

Do you think it is my form, or could it be that I am doing it last? I know if I had one where I could lay down, the problem would be solved. Maybe my feet are misplaced?

Thanks for the help!

I’d start a program that doesn’t have leg extensions or curls!

They’re both very unnatural movements (most likely the cause of the pain) - best reserved for down the road when you’re using them for a highly specific reason for your particular goals.

threadjack

That being said, how can one train the hamstrings without loading the spine? This cuts out deadlift and GM variations. I am not sure about GHR’s, but I have a disc herniation so I am not sure I want to try it right now.

/threadjack

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
threadjack

That being said, how can one train the hamstrings without loading the spine? This cuts out deadlift and GM variations. I am not sure about GHR’s, but I have a disc herniation so I am not sure I want to try it right now.

/threadjack[/quote]

Isn’t that was the reverse Hyper was invented for?

GHRs would have been my first suggestion…

You could also do some band exercises. Loop the band around your ankle. Pull the leg back against the band (getting some good glute/ham activation). What about static holds like a glute bridge?

Ask this questions over at EliteFTS Q & A, they’ll give you some good answers for sure.

OP, seems like a simple solution: drop leg curls. If you can try some Glute Ham Raises.

I second glute ham raises.

I will try them today and see if they hurt. My GHR strength sucks so I can only do the negative ones, but I will definitely try them.

I wanted to try reverse hypers but my gym doesnt have the gear. I do isometric holds, glute activation stuff, and other exercises that activate the hams. I can actually train the glutes very hard … but not the erectors or hams.

I’m the kind of guy that would rather do a 30 second isometric hold against weight than 3 a minute BW hold … seems kind of boring to me after awhile. I do these exercises throughout the day.

I will try the GHR’s though, thanks dudes.