T Nation

Hip Arthroscopy

Last week I had arthroscopic surgery on my left hip to fix a labral tear, a pincer based femoroacetabular impingement, and bone spurs that had developed. Post surgery the doctor told my wife the cartilage that was torn and had become "feathered" due to the impingement and bone growth rubbing the torn cartilage. A few years back I had done several months of PT and mobility work to correct what was thought to be only an impingement at the time.

My doctor said my range of motion should improve and I should be fully recovered and back to full training capacity in 12 weeks. However he still advised not going deep on squats. I have already started PT and am supposed to meet with my doc again in a week or so.

I was just curious what others have experienced with hip arthroscopy, recovery, how long did it take you to recover (I know this depends on a lot of variables), and how training went once you were fully recovered.

Thanks

With your surgery, expect a minimum of a year to become 100% pain free in all ranges of motion. I’m at 10 months of an even more severe version of your surgery and I still have pain. You’ll need to maintain a lot of mobility work and soft tissue work to make sure that the femur and acetabulum don’t start rubbing on each other again. Don’t push anything your doctor doesn’t tell you to. Also, PT can’t fix actual hip impingement, because it is a structural defect, not a soft tissue/connective tissue problem.

It took me 6-8 weeks before my limp was gone, and I was cleared to start training dynamic movements after 3 months, cleared to started actually training after 4 months. Didn’t have my first pain free squat until about 4 weeks ago. Keep up the unilateral rehab movements much longer than you feel necessary. All the walking on crutches and limping will develop some pretty sever imbalances. I still have trouble getting my quad and glute to work properly.

Pain is normal, even having a positive impingement test deep into your recovery. And even after you’ve been cleared to walk, your hip may feel weird for awhile as the bone is still “raw” and you’re learning how to move again. You should have increased range of motion within 10-14 days so long as you keep the hip moving and don’t let scar tissue build up.

Thank you for the information.

My doctor said roughly ten days ~ two weeks on crutches and in a hip brace. I am eager to move around and do something but I also know I am no spring chicken either ( coming up on 41) and recovery/mobility is important.

[quote]hawk1278 wrote:
Thank you for the information.

My doctor said roughly ten days ~ two weeks on crutches and in a hip brace. I am eager to move around and do something but I also know I am no spring chicken either ( coming up on 41) and recovery/mobility is important.[/quote]

The standard procedure is 4 weeks on crutches, 2 weeks in the various braces (they gave me 2, one for walking, and one for sleeping). I’d bank on 4 weeks and consider yourself lucky if you get off after 3. I know I for one couldn’t put any weight on the leg after 2 weeks. It hurt too bad.