Himalayan Crystal Salt

Can anyone shed light on the nutritional reality of ‘unrefined crystal salt’?

Before I go into my main question, I’d like to mention that the term ‘salt’ is misused. The term ‘salt’ as generally (and wrongly) used today, refers to pure Sodium Cholride. In reality, pure Salt is a combination of essential minerals (one of which is Sodium Chloride).

For anyone who is unaware of this product, it is pure, organic salt (as opposed to the bleached, refined salt you find in processed foods & stores). Before people start labeling this salt as being identical to table salt, and mere ‘quackery’, please consider the potential for this product to offer health and performance benefits. The difference between natural rock salts and refined salt is seemingly as stark as the difference between refined sugar and an apple. Refined salt is a waste product - 99% sodium chloride, plus the addition of bleach & chemicals. Pure crystal salt is a ‘living’ combination of 84 essential minerals, formed by and containing the energy of the sun.

So, it makes sense to me that in a pure, unrefined state, this salt could offer health and performance benefits. We all know that society is full of examples of how healthy raw nutrition is processed into disease promoting ‘refined hybrids’, so is this the case with salt?

I don’t use salt for its heath benefits, if any. I use it because it has the amazing ability to bring out the real flavors in food. It can also have its own taste. The best source for specialty salt that I’ve found is Salt Traders.

http://www.salttraders.com/Detail.bok?no=1

The Danish Viking Smoked salt is amazing. All it takes is three of four crystals to change the flavor of a bowl of chowder. This stuff is intense. It’s also expensive.

Realisticaly, the higher mineral content is probably good, but the use of hyperbole always sets of some red flags for me. Especialy the energy from the sun bit.
There has been some research done on epsom salt baths that show that the magnesium is absorbed transdermaly and beneficial.

How do you use this stuff? In cooking or bathing?

The following link contains quite a bit of info regarding crystal salt, used for both bathing and consumption.

www.life-enthusiast.com/salt/history.htm

Regarding skepticism about ‘energy from the sun’, it is not as daft as it may sound. Living, unprocessed nutrients contain electro-mangetic energy, proven by electro-imaging - this energy field dies with excessive processing. This may all sound a bit hollistic for a bodybuilding site, but anything health or performance enhancing is worth considering.

[quote]edvizard wrote:
The following link contains quite a bit of info regarding crystal salt, used for both bathing and consumption.

Regarding skepticism about ‘energy from the sun’, it is not as daft as it may sound. Living, unprocessed nutrients contain electro-mangetic energy, proven by electro-imaging - this energy field dies with excessive processing. This may all sound a bit hollistic for a bodybuilding site, but anything health or performance enhancing is worth considering.[/quote]

Wow. What level of education do you have? Not trying to make fun of you; I’m honestly curious.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
edvizard wrote:

Regarding skepticism about ‘energy from the sun’, it is not as daft as it may sound. Living, unprocessed nutrients contain electro-mangetic energy, proven by electro-imaging - this energy field dies with excessive processing. This may all sound a bit hollistic for a bodybuilding site, but anything health or performance enhancing is worth considering.

Wow. What level of education do you have? Not trying to make fun of you; I’m honestly curious.
[/quote]

Only a Sports cience Grad. But what I do know is that if you take an MRI scan of something living (such as an apple), and something dead such as table salt, the living medium will resonate a large magnetic energy, unlike the dead one. It’s the same with a living human and a dead body.

So what? Living cells produce a bit of electrical activity. Big deal – you derive sustenance from the nutrients in food, not from its electrical activity. Do you eat your meat while it’s still alive?

Also, your reference to “organic salt” is retarded. Salts are inorganic compounds by definition. Also, how is sodium chloride a “waste product”? Sodium is essential for life. It’s true that people should be getting more magnesium etc than sodium, but in nature that comes from eating lots of vegetables, not from eating mineral salts.

Short version: your Himalayan salt is woo-woo bullshit.

[quote]edvizard wrote:
Only a Sports cience Grad. But what I do know is that if you take an MRI scan of something living (such as an apple), and something dead such as table salt, the living medium will resonate a large magnetic energy, unlike the dead one. It’s the same with a living human and a dead body.[/quote]

That’s exactly why we don’t eat living humans.

For the record: Just because something has a magnetic field, doesn’t make it magic for the human body. A street lamp has a magnetic field, but I wouldn’t try eating one.

Also, Meditteranean Salt is good stuff, look up Flower of the Ocean. Expensive, but very good.

[quote]Rex30 wrote:
So what? Living cells produce a bit of electrical activity. Big deal – you derive sustenance from the nutrients in food, not from its electrical activity. Do you eat your meat while it’s still alive?

Also, your reference to “organic salt” is retarded. Salts are inorganic compounds by definition. Also, how is sodium chloride a “waste product”? Sodium is essential for life. It’s true that people should be getting more magnesium etc than sodium, but in nature that comes from eating lots of vegetables, not from eating mineral salts.

Short version: your Himalayan salt is woo-woo bullshit.[/quote]

Yep thanks for your oh so intelligent response, without even considering ‘the potential’ of a nutrient.

A nine-week double-blind university study undertaken in 2003 at the Inter-University of Graz, Austria, examined the effects of drinking a minimum of 1.5 liters of tap water per day with common table salt vs. a minimum of 1.5 liters of water with Original Himalayan Crystal Salt on physical and psychological functions of the body.
In the study, patients who drank water together with the Original Himalayan Crystal Salt saw significant positive changes in respiratory, circulatory, organ, connective tissue and nervous system functions. Patients also reported increases in the quality of sleep, energy and concentration levels, brain activity, weight loss, enhanced consciousness and noticeable nail and hair growth.

Inter-University of Graz, wow! Funny how Medline has never heard of this study. Also, if you actually look at the link to the “study” you’ll find it uses “bioresonance” which has all the scientific validity associated with “energy healing” AND some unspecified powers of Eastern medicine! Double wow! Plus, all the effects are self-reported which means exactly sweet fuck all.

Face it, you don’t know jack about nutrition, chemistry, or the scientific method. Work on your critical thinking skills and you won’t be so desperate to believe every huckster you find on the internet.

touche, i believe that’s a point for Rex30.

fancy it up however you like, salt is still salt. sounds like crazy hippie talk to me.