Hill Sprints on Asphalt

A road near my house is very steep and i was wondering would hill sprints on asphalt cause injuries in knees and ankles? or should i find a place in forest on dirt to avoid injuries?

The blacktop is prob safer than an off-road trail actually. At least you don’t have to lookout for your footing.

I wouldn’t do it. Too hard on the joints and achilles. If you can find a more forgiving surface, such as grass or dirt, it would be better

The fact that you’ll be sprinting uphill negates the typical injury potential associated with running on pavement. Plus, as another poster already mentioned, the smoother surface is safer as far as footing in concerned.

Go for it.

I agree with HK24719. The fact that you are going up hill makes the impact far lower. Millions of people run on flat pavement. You shouldn’t have any trouble doing this.

If you are sprinting, keep on the balls of your feet; If you do this on hill sprints, you should have no problems with impact.

It is running downhill that is the killer.

thank you guys

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
It is running downhill that is the killer.[/quote]

No idea why this concept creeps into these threads on hill sprints. Some years back before there was this Conditioning forum, this one guy dismissed one of my sprint advice-type posts while also recommended downhill sprinting. Turns out this guy was some casual hockey player from some New England state, but everyone does get to post.

Anyway, downhill sprinting surely has its place as some sort of supra-maximal training technique for the very advanced, but literally no one asking for advice on these forums would need it.

In other words, sprint uphill and walk back downhill and live to train another day.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
It is running downhill that is the killer.[/quote]

No idea why this concept creeps into these threads on hill sprints. Some years back before there was this Conditioning forum, this one guy dismissed one of my sprint advice-type posts while also recommended downhill sprinting. Turns out this guy was some casual hockey player from some New England state, but everyone does get to post.

Anyway, downhill sprinting surely has its place as some sort of supra-maximal training technique for the very advanced, but literally no one asking for advice on these forums would need it.

In other words, sprint uphill and walk back downhill and live to train another day.
[/quote]
I think you may have misunderstood aeyogi. I believe he was implying that running down hill was “killer” on your joints from the extra impact. Not that it should be done for conditioning.

heh true, looks like I was in full-rant mode a few days back