T Nation

Hikes and Muscle Mass

As of a couple weeks ago, I started doing once a week hikes with my friends from school. Every time we go on a hike, it takes about 2.5-4 hours round trip to complete it. The last hike we went on, which was just two days ago, was over 7 miles mostly uphill and then we ended up getting a ride from a couple of good Samaritans we met when we finally got to summit.

I probably ended up burning over 1500 calories that day and I know that these hiking have been great for building overall endurance and fitness; however I am concerned about if this will burn a significant amount of muscle mass as I have been also trying to build muscle?

Good God.

depends on how many sterons and creatines u are on

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Good God. [/quote]

I’m starting a thread right now - ‘Cost in calories of having a shit for 45 minutes, the day after a Madras curry’.

Sweating - 45 cals
Crying and gripping my hair in anguish - 50 cals
Screaming ‘dear god the pain make it stop’ - - 10 cals
Squeezing - 50 cals
Wiping - 5 cals
Flushing the toilet x 3 - 25 cals
Total cals - Who fucking cares.

Sorry OP but ‘really…REALLY’

That was nasty. Funny but nasty - my bad.

Serious answer. I’m sure you’ll be fine. Not sure about the people your hiking with, but your fine.

From military experience, hikes are a negative for muscle building. Extreme overtraining on lower back and legs, and attrition of all calories in stock. If you carry that much weight (weapons/combat load), 1-3 miles may have benefit, or 7ish mile (7 being the top end) with little weight

[quote]VinBear7 wrote:
From military experience, hikes are a negative for muscle building. Extreme overtraining on lower back and legs, and attrition of all calories in stock. If you carry that much weight (weapons/combat load), 1-3 miles may have benefit, or 7ish mile (7 being the top end) with little weight [/quote]

There’s a difference between civvies going hiking and soldiers on a forced march. Judging their time and distance they’re going half the speed, and unless they’re silly they probably have a fraction of the weight.

To the OP, if you want to gain weight then consume more calorie than you expend.

If you want to look like an actual bodybuilder, then the hikes probably won’t do you any good.

If you want to look strong and lean, then hiking is awesome.

[quote]VinBear7 wrote:
From military experience, hikes are a negative for muscle building. Extreme overtraining on lower back and legs, and attrition of all calories in stock. If you carry that much weight (weapons/combat load), 1-3 miles may have benefit, or 7ish mile (7 being the top end) with little weight [/quote]

VinBear, first, thanks for your service. I’ve never been in the military, but I’m going to guess you guys went rucking more than once a week for a couple of hours. I actually don’t see any mention of carrying a load of any kind in the OP, so it’s not even rucking we’re talking about here, more going for a long-ish walk.

OP, don’t stress out about stuff like this. If you figure you burned some extra calories, eat a little more. It’s shocking how easy it is to get 1500 calories down your neck. About 2 cups of trail mix will get you there. I really can’t see how going for a bit of a hike once a week is going to have a noticeable impact on your physique or training one way or the other, if you’re generally eating/training smart.

If you like hiking with your buds, hike with your buds. Don’t sweat the small stuff man.