Hikers and Wilderness Voyagers

4 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve heard nothing but good about the Terraframe/ Terraplane lines. I STILL kick myself for not buying one twenty years ago, when the Terraframe was an external frame design, the packs were on clearance for around $140, and the company was Dana Designs (named after Dana Gleason, the owner and founder of Mystery Ranch and Dana Designs.)

My Glacier was made in 2015, so it might be a little smaller than 71 liters. Regardless, I love the fit and color; it’s MR’s foliage green, which is grayish pine. I agree it’s a shame they don’t make the current Glacier with the Overload feature, but suppose that’s why they make the Terra line.

The Terraframe 80’s loden green isn’t hideous to my eye, but it’s not beautiful, either. If you buy a 65, I presume you already know, but pay attention to the harness sizing. The Future yoke is a pleasure to use when fitted and dialed in correctly.

1 Like

A hammock looks comfortable in winter when it’s not snowing. Do you bring a tent just in case, or is a hammock, sleeping bag, and bivy sack sufficient when snow’s falling?

I’ve got an osprey 30 and it’s kinda small and uncomfortable. Are any of the higher end bags more comfy?

Your hike pics are fantastic, keep posting them!

Which model is your Osprey pack? What about it is uncomfortable?

I offer a resounding “yes”, other packs are more comfortable. It isn’t that Osprey is a bad brand, but like shoes, each pack brand has its own basic shape that will fit some bodies but not others. Gregory packs are great, but they simply don’t fit my back and shoulders.

It’s possible your Osprey is made more for everyday carry (EDC) and short hikes than for 30-ish pounds and double-digit miles. It’s also possible Osprey packs aren’t a good fit for you. I had to return two Osprey packs to REI, a 35-ish liter and a 65 liter, because they really hurt after an hour or so. That’s when I decided to give Mystery Ranch a whirl (got amazing clearance prices too) and have been happy with them for six years and counting.

I just got in bed so I’ll have to look at the model tomorrow :joy:

Speaking of shoes… my shoes suck too. These things are amazing on pavement but fuck me they tried to kill me out there. It’s been a hell of a trial run :joy:

The backpack doesn’t feel like it’s fits me well, but idk how they are supposed to fit… it just doesn’t feel right. Like the straps don’t seem to held the pack right no matter where they are, i also feel like I’m too wide for it. The straps are just really uncomfortable and even though it has a firm backing or spine or what ever you want to call it, it doesn’t lay right. It’s almost like the attachment points for the strap are in the wrong spot and it’s pulling it at the wrong angle, if that makes sense.

Sadly the Terraframe does not have the Speedzip compartment (sleeping bag) that the Glacier does. I tell ya, Glacier + Overload would fit all my desires. Especially if the top lid is also fitted with an hydration port.

Snowing is the best time. I have never had to go to ground. You just need to know what you are doing. I have winter tarps for all conditions. Even two with wood stoves.

OES Wideangle

4 Likes

Back pack just like shoes are all about fit. Brand comes in after. Top quality but wrong fit is a no go for me.

I don’t want sore feet or back. I spend a lot of time at the store walking around with the shoes/boots, same with the pack and they better have weights to put in and be ready to have me there for some time.

1 Like

My favorite backpack is the 55L internal frame AARN
By having some weight in front your balance is much better.
You can also reach snacks and other items without stopping and taking off your pack.
No leaning forward to offset the weigh just on your back.
4 day 3 night loadout

MT55

3 Likes

My feet and ankles were so bad off this morning it took me a minute before I could even walk. Almost didn’t go hike today but I did lol :joy: did a little over 8 miles today so far, hardest section in the dark which was cool AF. Now looking for somewhere else to go.

Will provide more info and pictures later!

2 Likes

My hiking boots are like slippers. I have Lowa Caminos. Yes men boots because the women version is too narrow.
They are pretty stiff and over the ankle. They are not cheap but can be re soled and I beat them pretty good and they refuse to die.

And I need a new 50L bag mine died.

2 Likes

Had another 4am wake up call! Ankles and feet were swollen and it took a while before o could even walk, almost called it then but got some gas station drugs and hit the trail.

Went to arches today. First trail was the devils garden because they listed it as “hard”. The reviews all said don’t go counter clockwise because it’s too hard, so I went counter clockwise.

I was the first one there and hiked the first few miles in the dark using my headlamp. The first few miles were also the hard parts everyone talked about :joy:

Alltrails was a little sketchy, and there wasn’t many cairns during the sketchy part. I got turned around a few times and had to back track. A couple of the obstacles had me scratching my head and trying different paths to get through which I enjoyed. I think it would have been a lot simpler in the daylight, but I very much enjoyed it. This short section was the first time I felt like I was actually hiking. Everything else I was just walking through nature.
Due to the few set backs and time wasted, I once again missed the fucking first part of the sunrise lol still got to see a good bit of it though.

Hiked ~27 miles total this trip and unless I decide to try and go take photos of stars in the morning, I might be done lol. My lower half is shot.

)

6 Likes

4 Likes

You’ve done some serious mileage the last two days, especially for someone who hasn’t trained in advance! I’m not shocked your shoes are great on pavement but not off road. They look like they’re trail runners, which are made for jogging on packed trails with no pack or just a light hydration pack. Live and learn, I reckon :grin: It’s also possible they’re not a great fit for your feet for long periods. Like @donnerschweer said, the only way to know if hiking shoes fit is by spending lots of time in them in the same conditions you’ll be using them for.

I like using two pairs for hiking, one low cut and one above the ankle. I prefer hiking shoes to have stiffer, supportive soles and tough, durable uppers like leather or a leather and Cordura nylon mix. My feet are slightly wider and thicker/fatter than average, so I need shoes with higher volume and width. Merrell and Oboz work well as low hikers for me, especially Oboz Sawtooth II, because they come in wide width. My current mid-height hikers are Lowa Renegade II, which are no longer made. They’re also a wide model.

Your description of the pack’s fit makes perfect sense. You’ll probably want to find a pack with shoulder straps sewn farther apart and with more padding. Osprey’s mesh back with carbon frame holding it makes sense from a temperature stance, but I sweat when exercising regardless of what I’m wearing :joy:

REI’s return policy makes them very attractive when experimenting with which gear does and doesn’t work for you. I see they now carry Mystery Ranch packs online, although I’ve no idea what the stores near you have in stock. I know they also carry Gregory, Arc’teryx, Kelty, and REI brand. Each of those is generally good, but only if the pack fits you when it’s holding weight.

Your uses will determine what size/s of packs to get. Your 30 liters/ 2,200-ish cubic inches pack sounds like it’s a tad small for the type of hiking you’re doing on this trip. I have three outdoor packs for different types and lengths of hikes. The smallest is an Osprey hydration pack made for running. It’s only 6 liters/ 690 cubic inches. It holds water, a first aid kit, pocket stuff, snacks, and a little more if needed. My general-purpose pack is a Mystery Ranch Sweet Pea. It’s 33 liters and carries up to 30 pounds very, very well. Finally, my largest is a Mystery Ranch Glacier with 71 liters. I’ve been rucking with it, and it carries 30 pounds better than any pack I’ve used before.

I like having a frame sheet for rigidity and to stop junk from digging into my back. Aluminum or carbon fiber stays/ lengthwise pokes also help with rigidity and load transfer to the hips. Truth be told, I’ve yet to find a pack that transfers more weights to my hips than my shoulders.

Most packs come in sizes, based on torso length from disc C7 to the Iliac crest. A good pack fitter at REI can measure your spinal length and help adjust the packs for you. REIs usually have bean bags to put into packs so a customer can learn which pack size to buy, adjust the packs being considered, and load them up and walk around for a while. When debating between packs, I’ll browse other stuff while wearing a loaded pack, spending a good half hour in each. Same with boots.

1 Like

Hell of a post man, thanks!

The Alabama REI is a joke. I don’t think many have much real experience outdoors lol or Atleast that’s the vibe I got. They said these shoes were perfect for what I was doing and tried to talk me into a smaller bag! The shoes to have some amazing grip, I’ll give them that! I doubt they even know what a back pack fitting is, the questions I was asking about bags were generally met with “idk man but we sell a lot” :roll_eyes:.
I didn’t weigh my bad but it was heavy, I don’t carry about the weight though. What I do carry about is my arms having no blood flow and my arms and hands swelling so bad that I lose all vascularity and can’t even make a full fist!!!

Luckily the shoes and bag is from REI so that’s good. I do think, even if they are ugly, I need ankle support. So much off camber and downhills. I feel like they’d help keep my toes from being bashed in while also taking some of the stress off my ankles on the off camber stuff.

I still need to do some more hiking to figure out what I need and enjoy, but so far the thing that’s brought me the most joy was the hardest section everyone bitched about online lol so apparently daddy likes it rough.

1 Like

Haha heck YES to enjoying the toughest part of a hike!! It does sound like the employees at your hometown REI are clueless. I’ve no idea how close to an REI you are or will be, but stopping at a store out west, particularly in Utah or Colorado may give you the chance to exchange your pack and shoes and talk with someone who’s very knowledgeable.

Does the REI you bought from have a plastic hiking rock to walk up and down? That’s how people get an idea of the boots are too short. As you’ve obviously discovered, hiking downhill pushes your feet forward, hence the bruised, sore toes. It’s common to buy boots 1/2 size larger than everyday shoes. I look for boots with a thumb’s width of space between my big toes and the inside front of the boot, just like when my mom took me shoe shopping as a kid :joy: The difference the boot’s sole, the more support it gives. Test this by holding the boot upside down at its ends, heel in one hand toes in the other. It should bend at the ball of the foot, not the arch. Running shoes bend very easily, day hikers have less give, backpackers don’t bend much, and mountaineering boots won’t bend at all.

In a wilderness survival course I took, the instructors said no single pair will cover every use, so spend your time and money on a pair of shoes/ boots that will fit 80 percent of your needs. Buy new footwear, like snow or jungle boots, as the need arises. They were retired Air Force pararescue (PJs) and strongly recommended wearing boots that erred on the side of fit, support, and traction.

ETA - during a long hike with a heavy pack, a bit of hand swelling is normal. What you described, however is NOT typical and shows the pack is absolutely wrong for you.

I know they have one in Denver, I’ll have to see if I’m close to anything here.

I did try the rock ledge thingy but idk wtf I’m doing lol. You have to remember this was my first time hiking :joy: but now I know what it feels like so I’ll have a better idea of how to test it.
I wanted a half size up to account for normal swelling and stuff but felt the ones I got had a little room, and the half size up had too much room so idk what would have been better but regardless these shoes aren’t right. Gotta find some legit shoes I actually like lol

That class sounds bad ass man! I definitely want to do something like that. I want to feel prepared for the shit I want to do, and right now I’m lost :joy:

Dude the swelling was BAD. Like it hurt. I had to stop a couple times just because my arms were so jacked up

@TriednTrue they have an REI in grand junction and I’ll be there tomorrow so this works out PERFECT!!

1 Like