Hijack Haven

At my current age, I can’t even read fiction. Everything I read is non-fiction. I wonder how well I could appreciate it now. But that’s just me.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I have never read Shakespeare. Just about at all. That is no pronouncement of good or bad. Simply the truth. Honestly? I’m not really interested. Maybe I should be ashamed of that, but that kind of reading just never appealed to me. I started something of his once years ago and just never could continue. I doubt I ever will. Don’t get me wrong. I understand his place in history and everybody declares what a genius he was so I’m sure he was. Just not my thing.[/quote]

I feel the same way about the bible, not trying to be funny or anything, but I just couldn’t keep at it long enough to finish it.

Now,…you can’t give me too much shit about this in a thread titled “Hijack Haven”. LOL

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Does Shakespeare need to be taught at high school level though? I mean as an immature 16 year old I didn’t have a chance in hell to appreciate it.

[/quote]

I was taught it in jr. high school, and loved it.

Kids used to be taught latin and ancient greek as part of a formal education. Granted, that was a long time ago, but the takeaway point is that kids will grow to fit our expectations of them.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
At my current age, I can’t even read fiction. Everything I read is non-fiction. I wonder how well I could appreciate it now. But that’s just me.[/quote]

“How poor are they that have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
Thou know’st we work by wit, and not by witchcraft;
And wit depends on dilatory time.” - Iago

Othello Act II, Scene III

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
At my current age, I can’t even read fiction. Everything I read is non-fiction. I wonder how well I could appreciate it now. But that’s just me.[/quote]

“How poor are they that have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
Thou know’st we work by wit, and not by witchcraft;
And wit depends on dilatory time.” - Iago

Othello Act II, Scene III[/quote]

(^_^)b

[quote]Cortes wrote:Tirib if you can make it through Jonathan Edwards you would have NO problem with Shakespeare. ;)[/quote]I hate to say this, but it had nothing to do with difficulty or being linguistically cumbersome. I’ve read mountains of old heady writings. I can read the original 1611 King James Bible just fine. It was boring. I don’t know what to say. I’m with Raj. He simply holds no appeal for me. Aquinas on the other hand, I devoured. Even while disagreeing.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
No man(or woman) knows himself until the Holy Spirit shows him his deadness in sin and need for Christ. [/quote] OK. But he does eventually KNOW HIMSELF! Yeah!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
No, that philosophy is overtly hostile to the true gospel. [/quote]
Ohh, one step forward, one step back.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Once again. ALL are conceived and born dead. The Father makes some alive, through Christ alone, by the power of the Holy Spirit. Every other pursuit of or offering to God is an affront to Himself and His majestic Son and is therefore itself sin.

The hottest parts of hell are reserved for those who are in religious idolatry. Churches included. Even my church. As I told Squating_Bear, Satan will send you to church himself. Pick you up and drive. As long as you will trust ANYTHING other than the sinless life, blood sacrifice and resurrection of the one and only divinely decreed access to the true and living God.

As I use the word, a “cultist” is someone embracing either one of those other ways or a fatally aberrant version of the gospel as Paul condemns in the first of Galatians.[/quote]

Who is stronger? Christ or Satan? If God is for you, who is against you?

In another thread:

[quote]therajraj wrote:<<< So does that mean you don’t consider homosexuality a sin? >>>[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:<<< I’m a Christian… No, I don’t. >>>[/quote][/quote]This explains a whole lot.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:<<< Who is stronger? Christ or Satan? If God is for you, who is against you? [/quote]Look friend =] I’ve played this game too many times to count with all kinds of heretics sporting all kinds of semantic trickery. You don’t even mean the same things as I do when you say Christ and Satan. You don’t really wanna pursue this do ya? Why would care what I think?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
A “cultist”, in Christian vernacular, is a member of any group or adherent to any doctrine or theology, claiming affinity with Jesus Christ, that is outside of historic orthodoxy. UNorthodox. Heretical in short.[/quote]

I’m sorry. But, I believe this to be off. Unless you are using it in some modernistic version of English I am not aware of.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
I’m intrigued to be called a ‘cultist’, since to me, cults are groups among the likes of Scientology, the Manson Family, Heaven’s Gate, Branch Davidians, etc.
[/quote]

They are, but that is a very narrow and strange meaning of cult, too.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
In another thread:

[quote]therajraj wrote:<<< So does that mean you don’t consider homosexuality a sin? >>>[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:<<< I’m a Christian… No, I don’t. >>>[/quote][/quote]This explains a whole lot.

[/quote]

Explain.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:<<< Who is stronger? Christ or Satan? If God is for you, who is against you? [/quote]Look friend =] I’ve played this game too many times to count with all kinds of heretics sporting all kinds of semantic trickery. You don’t even mean the same things as I do when you say Christ and Satan. You don’t really wanna pursue this do ya? Why would care what I think?
[/quote]

You hesitate to answer that because you think it’s a trick question?
If we can’t start off on that common ground, then you’re right. It’s probably not in the greater interest to pursue this.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:<<< You hesitate to answer that because you think it’s a trick question? >>>[/quote]No, it’s not a trick question. It’s a meaningless question. Because you believe in the biblical view of neither Christ nor Satan.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:<<< I’m sorry. But, I believe this to be off. Unless you are using it in some modernistic version of English I am not aware of. [/quote]That’s what I mean by it because it is now the protestant conservative Christian usage and has been for quite a while. Also, if Thunderbolt doesn’t respond in a day or two I will explain. I respect him enough to give him the opportunity to clarify if he wishes before I do. I don’t know if he will or not. He may feel he’s lending credibility to my fundamentalist arrogance by responding.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:<<< You hesitate to answer that because you think it’s a trick question? >>>[/quote]No, it’s not a trick question. It’s a meaningless question. Because you believe in the biblical view of neither Christ nor Satan.
[/quote]

Your love of debate confounds any possibility of common ground, even if it is for Christ’s sake.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]Your love of debate confounds any possibility of common ground, even if it is for Christ’s sake. [/quote]My love of Christ confounds any possibility of compromise of His truth with heretics falsely claiming common ground for His sake.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Also, if Thunderbolt doesn’t respond in a day or two I will explain. I respect him enough to give him the opportunity to clarify if he wishes before I do. I don’t know if he will or not. He may feel he’s lending credibility to my fundamentalist arrogance by responding. [/quote]

There’s nothing to clarify generally, and I certainly don’t need you to clarify anything. And I have about as much interest in your evaluation of my religion as I do your evaluation of my bracket picks for the NCAA tournament.

Which is to say, none.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:<<< There’s nothing to clarify generally, >>>[/quote]I will clarify what I meant by your claim upon Christ in light of your blatant disregard for the crystal clear statements of scripture being the explanation of quite a lot about your “religious” beliefs. Which is what I meant. [quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:<<< I have [no] interest in your evaluation of my religion. (redaction mine)[/quote]I had no illusions that you would.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]Your love of debate confounds any possibility of common ground, even if it is for Christ’s sake. [/quote]My love of Christ confounds any possibility of compromise of His truth with heretics falsely claiming common ground for His sake.
[/quote]

Whew! It’s a good thing I’m already saved and trust God directly to keep me that way. Imagine if everyone had to get Tirib’s review and seal of approval before having a relationship with Christ!