Hijack Haven

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =] [/quote]What was my reason for doing this topic?[/quote]Sounded like somebody deciding who to vote for, but I have a feeling you’re gonna tell me no.
[/quote]

You have known me for this long…you really think I am going to vote? What would be my purpose in voting?

I personally would be curious why you would vote…you read the same book I do.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =] [/quote]What was my reason for doing this topic?[/quote]Sounded like somebody deciding who to vote for, but I have a feeling you’re gonna tell me no.
[/quote]

You have known me for this long…you really think I am going to vote? What would be my purpose in voting?

I personally would be curious why you would vote…you read the same book I do.[/quote]That’s why it threw me off that it sounded like you were asking about potential objects of your vote. I should have known you were just trying to lure me into a debate about JW style separatism. Ya lil devil ya =]

YAY Sister Charyse!!! She’s my churchmate =]
http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/ENT04/120925044/Mahogany-Jones-LIVE-Africa-State-Department-music-ambassador?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/ENT04/120925044/Mahogany-Jones-LIVE-Africa-State-Department-music-ambassador?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p
[/quote]

Thought you didn’t like hip hop?

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/ENT04/120925044/Mahogany-Jones-LIVE-Africa-State-Department-music-ambassador?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p[/quote]

Thought you didn’t like hip hop?[/quote] Not my kinda music Chris, but you ain’t comparin a woman who who has committed her gifts to the glory of Jesus to that depraved demonic gangster crap are ya? She’s more of a spoken word poet anyway. Ive seen her perform many times. Her work is more solid than most of the sermons that will go forth tomorrow morning. Just like my man Shai Linne and Stephen the Levite. Shai is a true theologian and man of God. I mean it.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/ENT04/120925044/Mahogany-Jones-LIVE-Africa-State-Department-music-ambassador?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p[/quote]

Thought you didn’t like hip hop?[/quote] Not my kinda music Chris, but you ain’t comparin a woman who who has committed her gifts to the glory of Jesus to that depraved demonic gangster crap are ya? She’s more of a spoken word poet anyway. Ive seen her perform many times. Her work is more solid than most of the sermons that will go forth tomorrow morning. Just like my man Shai Linne and Stephen the Levite. Shai is a true theologian and man of God. I mean it.

[/quote]

You’re the one that spoke generalizations about a genre of music, not me. Don’t get sentimental on me, again.

Here ya go Chris. A little homespun piece from sister Charyse, stage name Mahogany Jones. She talks about Jesus as her husband and lover. In her poetry too. It may unnerve some folks not used to such a thing.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/audio/Lose_Control.m4a

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Here ya go Chris. A little homespun piece from sister Charyse, stage name Mahogany Jones. She talks about Jesus as her husband and lover. In her poetry too. It may unnerve some folks not used to such a thing.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/audio/Lose_Control.m4a[/quote]

I’m tellin’ ya Tirib, I was working a PR event with the Fire Department once at a church event that hosted a bunch of jesus bands. I suffered through some of the worst music I’ve ever listened to that day, including a christian rap group.

I tried to tell my Lt. (very religious guy) that maybe I should be able to leave since I’m an atheist and all; he just smiled, nodded his head while I logically explained my situation, and politely said “NO”. LOL…at least I tried.

ALSO: Dawkins is coming to our great state soon, and will be in your neck of the woods. I was thinking you’d like to join me and go listen to him speak? LOL…maybe we can even get Pat to make the trip up from Georgia? :slight_smile:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
It may unnerve some folks not used to such a thing.
[/quote]

I don’t know if this is referring to me, but if it is…check out my posts about the meaning of the Eucharist…in my more…passionate posts.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:<<< I’m tellin’ ya Tirib, I was working a PR event with the Fire Department once at a church event that hosted a bunch of jesus bands. I suffered through some of the worst music I’ve ever listened to that day, including a christian rap group. >>>[/quote]I’m sorry you had to be subjected to that sparky. Yes, there are some truly bad “Christian” “musicians” out there.[quote]bigflamer wrote:<<< ALSO: Dawkins is coming to our great state soon, and will be in your neck of the woods. I was thinking you’d like to join me and go listen to him speak? LOL…maybe we can even get Pat to make the trip up from Georgia? :-)[/quote]THAT would be sumthin. Where and when? I gotta be honest. I would actually really be up for this, but my schedule is insane. If I can I will, but it will take a move of the Holy Ghost to enable me to do it. Especially if it’s in another part of the state. Can you image me getting up and asking Dawkins to tell me why he believes that 2+2=4. Oh my Lord Jesus what I wouldn’t give for that. Wouldn’t be enough time though. Let’s see what Pat says. Patty ol boy I would LOVE to meet you in person. HAHAHA!!! I’ve only met one guy in real life that I knew here first.

Not necessarily no. One day you are going have the light go on about how incredibly wrong you’ve been about me all along Chris. Not my kinda music again, but did you like the song at all?

Begin hijack:

Anybody else out there think its entirely reasonable to believe there is a god who set things in motion and evolution is just His way of carrying things out? Idk, I guess I just don’t feel like science and religion have o be directly conflicting all the time.

End hijack, carry on

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
Begin hijack:

Anybody else out there think its entirely reasonable to believe there is a god who set things in motion and evolution is just His way of carrying things out? Idk, I guess I just don’t feel like science and religion have o be directly conflicting all the time.

End hijack, carry on[/quote]

You know, for some God works in mysterious ways, only that they do know exactly how He did not do it.

If they can live with their cognitive dissonance, so can I.

Moved from the presidential thread:

countingbeans wrote:
atypical1 wrote:
But why is “pro-life” even a political stance? It’s a moral one but the federal government shouldn’t have the power to tell someone whether they can or can’t have an abortion.
james

This is sort of what I’m getting at. There is a way to push that ideal, and effect change without making it political. It is hard and long road, and will take effort and understanding to the demographic landscape.

But here is the thing. The government has the right to tell someone they cannot walk into a delivery room and kill a newborn baby, so therefore they have the right to tell someone they can’t kill that same baby in the womb.

But anyway, the real answer is to try and change the perseption of the people from one where abortion is a “right” to a perseption to where abortion is the last thing anyone would think of doing. This involves sex education, parental responsibility, economic policy and institutions outside of government set up to help mothers faced with difficult times.

I think the Catholic position is the most retarded: Contraception is a sin AND Abortion is a sin… You can’t have it both ways - people are going to fuck, and NOT always for procreation. It may work for SOME Catholics (and, really are we going to kid ourselves into saying that EVERY time EVERY Catholic has sex, they are trying to knock up their wife? Assuming they are married?), but less than 25% of the US population is Catholic, so how the hell can they think they are entitled to ram that bullshit down the REST of the country’s throat?

Religion needs to stay out of politics. If it is against YOUR religion, don’t practice contraception and don’t get abortions. If you choose to believe the world was created in seven days and that we DIDN’T evolve into the current species that we are, fine. But stay the hell out of MY kid’s school system with that bullshit.

And for the record, I am personally against abortion. If I knocked someone up, I would do everything in my power to ensure MY seed survived and prospered. I’m in a good position to do that. Not everybody is.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Contraception is a sin AND Abortion is a sin… You can’t have it both ways - people are going to fuck, and NOT always for procreation.[/quote]

This is where the understanding part and the putting your country first part comes into play.

People of all religions have to come to terms with the fact America isn’t going to have one religious hive mind. And all religions are going to vote, at least to a degree. So it comes down to being fractioned off as their own party, or coming to terms with contraception is the answer to the larger problem of abortion at least in the short term.

If the current popular forms of contraception aren’t acceptable, then get your ass in gear and research on that is.

Again, the road to pro-life is long, and needs to be played correctly to continue to get elected. (Although I am formulating a case in my mind where hispanics are going to lean red in the end, and it won’t matter, but it is a fetus of a theory right now.)

This plays into the art of communication and entertainment factor of politics the right all but passes on. Obama gets it. Whittle has a good video on it:

Packaging matters. A lot of the morals that go along with religion are good, and make up a lot fo our laws. There is a way to have a message without pushing yourself on people. I feel a lot fo people are a bit over senstive towards religious people, but I do get some of the push back.

Never going to happen, can’t happen and is one fo the first things mentioned in the Bill of Rights.

It’s influence won’t ever die, and shouldn’t. People need to understand the difference between influence and belief being pushed.

I think there should be theology classes, and there would be much less of the fighting about all this.

Teach evolution in science, and creationism in theology…

Religion is a very inportant part of society, we need to be educated about it.

Good video by HBS prof Clayton Christenson on how religion can enforce proper work ethic and values that lead to a functioning economy. I recall a class that attributed part of the US’s rapid early industrialization from Protestant values of hard work ethic and the belief in monochronic time.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:This only confirms my belief that RELIGION is the root of all evil and is the primary source of much of the suffering on our planet.[/quote]Lemme know if you need some more.[quote]George Washington
1st U.S. President

“While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.”
–The Writings of Washington, pp. 342-343.

John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

“Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God … What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be.”
–Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

"The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite, and these Principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: And the general Principles of English and American Liberty, in which all those young Men United, and which had United all Parties in America, in Majorities sufficient to assert and maintain her Independence.

“Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System.”
–Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, excerpt from a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

“The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever.”
–Adams wrote this in a letter to his wife, Abigail, on July 3, 1776.

Thomas Jefferson
3rd U.S. President, Drafter and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever; That a revolution of the wheel of fortune, a change of situation, is among possible events; that it may become probable by Supernatural influence! The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in that event.”
Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, p. 237.

John Hancock
1st Signer of the Declaration of Independence

“Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. … Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.”
–History of the United States of America, Vol. II, p. 229.

Samuel Adams
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Father of the American Revolution

“And as it is our duty to extend our wishes to the happiness of the great family of man, I conceive that we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world that the rod of tyrants may be broken to pieces, and the oppressed made free again; that wars may cease in all the earth, and that the confusions that are and have been among nations may be overruled by promoting and speedily bringing on that holy and happy period when the kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and all people everywhere willingly bow to the sceptre of Him who is Prince of Peace.”
–As Governor of Massachusetts, Proclamation of a Day of Fast, March 20, 1797.

James Monroe
5th U.S. President

“When we view the blessings with which our country has been favored, those which we now enjoy, and the means which we possess of handing them down unimpaired to our latest posterity, our attention is irresistibly drawn to the source from whence they flow. Let us then, unite in offering our most grateful acknowledgments for these blessings to the Divine Author of All Good.”
2nd Annual Message to Congress, November 16, 1818.

John Quincy Adams
6th U.S. President

“The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth. Never since the foundation of the world have the prospects of mankind been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made ‘bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God’ (Isaiah 52:10).”
Life of John Quincy Adams, p. 248

William Penn
Founder of Pennsylvania

“I do declare to the whole world that we believe the Scriptures to contain a declaration of the mind and will of God in and to those ages in which they were written; being given forth by the Holy Ghost moving in the hearts of holy men of God; that they ought also to be read, believed, and fulfilled in our day; being used for reproof and instruction, that the man of God may be perfect. They are a declaration and testimony of heavenly things themselves, and, as such, we carry a high respect for them. We accept them as the words of God Himself.”
–Treatise of the Religion of the Quakers, p. 355.

Roger Sherman
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution

"I believe that there is one only living and true God, existing in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, the same in substance equal in power and glory. That the scriptures of the old and new testaments are a revelation from God, and a complete rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him. That God has foreordained whatsoever comes to pass, so as thereby he is not the author or approver of sin. That he creates all things, and preserves and governs all creatures and all their actions, in a manner perfectly consistent with the freedom of will in moral agents, and the usefulness of means. That he made man at first perfectly holy, that the first man sinned, and as he was the public head of his posterity, they all became sinners in consequence of his first transgression, are wholly indisposed to that which is good and inclined to evil, and on account of sin are liable to all the miseries of this life, to death, and to the pains of hell forever.

"I believe that God having elected some of mankind to eternal life, did send his own Son to become man, die in the room and stead of sinners and thus to lay a foundation for the offer of pardon and salvation to all mankind, so as all may be saved who are willing to accept the gospel offer: also by his special grace and spirit, to regenerate, sanctify and enable to persevere in holiness, all who shall be saved; and to procure in consequence of their repentance and faith in himself their justification by virtue of his atonement as the only meritorious cause.

"I believe a visible church to be a congregation of those who make a credible profession of their faith in Christ, and obedience to him, joined by the bond of the covenant.

“I believe that the souls of believers are at their death made perfectly holy, and immediately taken to glory: that at the end of this world there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a final judgement of all mankind, when the righteous shall be publicly acquitted by Christ the Judge and admitted to everlasting life and glory, and the wicked be sentenced to everlasting punishment.”
The Life of Roger Sherman, pp. 272-273.

Benjamin Rush
Signer of the Declaration of Independence and Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

“The gospel of Jesus Christ prescribes the wisest rules for just conduct in every situation of life. Happy they who are enabled to obey them in all situations!”
–The Autobiography of Benjamin Rush, pp. 165-166.

“Christianity is the only true and perfect religion, and that in proportion as mankind adopts its principles and obeys its precepts, they will be wise and happy.”
–Essays, Literary, Moral, and Philosophical, published in 1798.

"I know there is an objection among many people to teaching children doctrines of any kind, because they are liable to be controverted. But let us not be wiser than our Maker.

“If moral precepts alone could have reformed mankind, the mission of the Son of God into all the world would have been unnecessary. The perfect morality of the gospel rests upon the doctrine which, though often controverted has never been refuted: I mean the vicarious life and death of the Son of God.”
–Essays, Literary, Moral, and Philosophical, published in 1798.

John Witherspoon
Signer of the Declaration of Independence, Clergyman and President of Princeton University AND ancestor of Reese Witherspoon

"While we give praise to God, the Supreme Disposer of all events, for His interposition on our behalf, let us guard against the dangerous error of trusting in, or boasting of, an arm of flesh … If your cause is just, if your principles are pure, and if your conduct is prudent, you need not fear the multitude of opposing hosts.

"What follows from this? That he is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down profanity and immorality of every kind.

“Whoever is an avowed enemy of God, I scruple not to call him an enemy of his country.”
Sermon at Princeton University, “The Dominion of Providence over the Passions of Men,” May 17, 1776.

Patrick Henry
Ratifier of the U.S. Constitution

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.”
–The Trumpet Voice of Freedom: Patrick Henry of Virginia, p. iii.

“The Bible … is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed.”
Sketches of the Life and Character of Patrick Henry, p. 402.

John Jay
1st Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and President of the American Bible Society

"By conveying the Bible to people thus circumstanced, we certainly do them a most interesting kindness. We thereby enable them to learn that man was originally created and placed in a state of happiness, but, becoming disobedient, was subjected to the degradation and evils which he and his posterity have since experienced.

“The Bible will also inform them that our gracious Creator has provided for us a Redeemer, in whom all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; that this Redeemer has made atonement “for the sins of the whole world,” and thereby reconciling the Divine justice with the Divine mercy has opened a way for our redemption and salvation; and that these inestimable benefits are of the free gift and grace of God, not of our deserving, nor in our power to deserve.”
–In God We Trust?The Religious Beliefs and Ideas of the American Founding Fathers, p. 379.

“In forming and settling my belief relative to the doctrines of Christianity, I adopted no articles from creeds but such only as, on careful examination, I found to be confirmed by the Bible.”
American Statesman Series, p. 360. [/quote]
Wikipedia on the founding fathers. Religion section. [quote]Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons). Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.

A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson (who created the so-called “Jefferson Bible”) and Benjamin Franklin. Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[/quote]

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Gay marriage is obvious deviltry.

Gays are a result of Satan interfering in God’s work. They must NOT be recognized within the sanctity of marriage.[/quote]
Who is this “Satan” feller you speak of?

I have no way of knowing, but I suspect Jackie_Jacked is MIA because she’s havin that baby =]

Amid Sandy?s devastation, Long Island union sent written demand to Florida utilities: Pay dues or stay home

Read more: Amid Sandy’s devastation, Long Island union sent written demand to Florida utilities: Pay dues or stay home | The Daily Caller

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Amid Sandy?s devastation, Long Island union sent written demand to Florida utilities: Pay dues or stay home

Read more: Amid Sandy’s devastation, Long Island union sent written demand to Florida utilities: Pay dues or stay home | The Daily Caller
[/quote]LOL!!! When will we learn? Workers of the world unite!!!