T Nation

HIIT with Bad Knees

For the past several years, I have tried to start a few different HIIT routines (all sprinting based) but after the first few sessions, I get some sort of pain in my right knee. I used to run in high school and this happened to me back then as well (though less painful and less often). I think I just dont have knees that are cut out for sprinting.

So, what other HIIT can I do? I’ve recently tried a cycling routine but I wasn’t really impressed with it. It did not leave me feeling as worn out as a sprinting routine. I’ll try it again but I’m just not sure if any other HIIT routine would even have that effect as sprinting. I would love to find out though so if anyone knows of a good way to do this without putting too much stress on the knees, it would be tremendously helpful.

Thanks.

This might be a long shot, but have you ever had your knee looked at? Tight IT band is the #1 cause of knee issues.

You know, just ask a chiro, physio, doctor, etc…

does your knee hurt the first time you do the sprint HIIT or after a few sessions

sprinting is the best, but HIIT works well with anything that SUCKS ASS. Cycling just isn’t quite hard enough. these tend to be easier on the knees than sprinting:

sprint swimming (freestyle or butterfly)
kettlebells swings, snatches
rowing
grappling with an evenly matched opponent

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
sprinting is the best, but HIIT works well with anything that SUCKS ASS. Cycling just isn’t quite hard enough. these tend to be easier on the knees than sprinting:

sprint swimming (freestyle or butterfly)
kettlebells swings, snatches
rowing
grappling with an evenly matched opponent
[/quote]
x2 swimming pretty full proof and intervals on the rower can be as hard as it gets

also consider getting some ART