T Nation

HIIT Training

Opinions on if this will work. I don;t have a football field available (covered in ice and snow), so I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm thinking of using the stairs in my office building. I'll run up two floors, wal one for 4-6 sets. Then take the elevator down. What do you guys think?

I'm in a fat off competition and need to drop from 15% to 7-8% in 3 1/2 months. I want to maintain as much LBM as possible, so I am trying to maintain my poundages.

Jumping rope is a good alternative.

Actually sprinting and sled draging in the snow is a blast, just be careful of your footing. I live in Michigan, but I schedule two days of hill sprints per week, and drag the sled about 2000 feet each day.

Mm'kay, guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Ever thought of jump roping? Or using a row machine at the gym for HIIT? Or the Eliptical? Or performing CT's Running Man?

BTW, how's the weight training? Diet? What's the rest of your program looking like?

Er..typo alert: I should have said, "jumping rope", not "jump roping".

Sounded like some weird cowboy activity....I think. :wink:)

Z-Man, I love doing stairs and I love my StairMaster. But cardio is just cardio. Get yourself a HR monitor so that you can get the most out of your cardio.

Patricia touched on something far more important than the cardio. The greatest chance you have of achieving your goals is by optimizing your diet. The cardio will help fershure, but get your diet and PWO nutrition dialed in!

Good luck, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

What is your jump roping routine? Any recomendations?

I began with Coach D's "Renegade Rope". That's a excellent way of beginning.

Now? I perform "boxing rounds" with my jump rope: 3-min on/1-min off (active off; shadow boxing, stretching). Around 20-30 min per session, 2-3 sessions a week.

I gotta second Patricia's advice on both levels, the first being the diet. If you dont have your diet in line no amount of cardio is going to do much of any good.

Second, the jumping rope (jump roping LOL), along with the shadow boxing is also working great for me. I mix it up doing a session of rope, recovery, shadow boxing, recovery, rope, etc.. Go all out during the on phase and you will be crawling out of the gym.

As far as your stair running. I am sure it could be just as effective. I would suggest one change. Instead of taking the elevator, I would say take the stairs back down @ a slow pace for your recovery stage, instead of simply standing on the elevator. I find if I sprint then totally stop for recovery, then go right back again it is much more difficult to keep the intensity and lends to cramping.

Just my suggestion.

My diet is thus:

Morning - Protien Carb meal

Mid Morning - Protien Shake/Veggies

Lunch - Protien Fat

Mid Afternoon - Protien Shake/Veggies

Dinner - Generally Protien and Veggies

I lift weights 3-4 times a week and intend on doing HIIT 3 times a week. I lift at about 80%. The length of time lifted varies. If I'm bulking, my workouts are heavier, and shorter. I am experimenting with a longer workout that drains me of energy over a longer period of time. Squats, deadlifts, SLDL's, weighted dips, pull-ups and bench press are a core part of my training. I do a major body area on my weightlifting days. Nearly all my lifts are compound because I'm not a strong believer in isolation, however I do side lateral raises rather than military press if I feel my triceps are getting overtrained and will affect my bench press.

I feel pretty confident about my diet and weight-lifting routine, but this is the first time I'm focusing on cutting fat in 16 years of working out, so this part of it is relatively new to me.

Thanks for the advice so far. I have tried elliptical, and it wasn't bad. I'll try stairs tomorrow, and if I feel like I'm gonna puke, then I've done it right :slight_smile:

I should make one clarification, I intend to run up 2 flights for the intensity stage and walk up one flight for the recovery stage. I'll take the elevator down at the end of the HIIT session, because I expect to be exhausted and lightheaded if I have exerted myself properly :slight_smile:

So I did some HIIT using stairs and it was as good a workout as sprinting. Here's what I did.

Run up 7 floors, walk down 3, repeat 5 times.

I could hardly walk afterwards. Felt really good