HIIT Full Body Weight Workout

Hi Sailorchris,

looks like you’re beginning in the right end - educating yourself. We see so many people starving themselves and all that stupid stuff.

Sounds like you’ll have no problem staying active either. You’re gonna have awesome progress, I’m sure - you’re doing everything right and you sound really motivated.

Keep us updated on your progress, and we’ll be cheering you on :slight_smile:

I have a question about isolation excersizes. I’m currently doing a HIIT workout routine. I’ve modified a part of the HIIT to include bench press instead of push-ups with the legs on a swiss ball (I know my way is easier but I want to get through the entire routine. At the end of the HIIT workout I add deadlifts, and bicep and tricep work.

Should my tricep weight workout be at a different weight than the weight I use to workout my biceps. It just seems my triceps are much weaker than my biceps. Is this pretty typical?

Although I can lift more weight, I’ve been working my biceps with 25 lbs dumbells for volume reps. I usually do 7 sets of ten reps if I’m just working my arms, but at the end of HIIT I’ve reduced this to 5 sets of 10 reps. For tricps I lift 15 lbs behind my head lifts (dont know the proper name) It seems as though my tricep work is much harder than the bicep work.

Is it better to lift more weight, but less volume of lifts? Should I work my tricps with 25 lbs weights for as many reps as i can do or should I continue to lift more reps at a reduced weight.

Although my question is concerning bicep and trips I am also lifting considerably less weight on my bench press than I could lift, but I doing it so I can get the volume of reps in to build strength.

Once more q. I’m unsure of the difference between lifting for strength, and lifting to increase muscle size. Any direction to articles, threads would be welcomed.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

posted 03/11/2008 at 08:20PM

Started a HIIT program two weeks ago. Real Fast Fat Loss
by Alwyn Cosgrove and Chad Waterbury
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1589833

Coming off of fifth day of training. Train three days every other day then two days off.

Rationale: To create a metabolic disturbance through not only total
body training, but total body lifts.
Sets and Reps: Use the heaviest load you can manage with perfect
form for all sets.
Day 1: 5 x 5 reps
Day 2: Off
Day 3: 4 x 10 reps
Day 4: Off
Day 5: 3 x 15 reps
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Off

I Run this routine as follows:

Exercise 1: DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) 3 sets of 5 reps with 10 lbs

Excersize 2: Bench Press 5 sets of 10 reps at 80 lbs.

Excersize 3: Bent Over Row - Back Extension Hybrid 3 sets of 5 reps

Exercise 4: Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press 3 sets with 5 reps with 10 lbs

Exercise 5: 2 x 20second squat jumps; 20second squats; 20second squat and hold.

Exercise 6: Tabata bike sprints:
Pedal hard for 20s followed by 10s of easy pedaling. Continue with
this sequence for 8 rounds (4 minutes). Pedal easy for 5 minutes. Do
another 8 rounds of the 20s:10s cycle.

Exercise 7: Good morning - Reverse Lunge combo 3 sets of 5 reps with 10 lbs db

Excercise 8: Deadlifts 5 x 5 at 140 lbs

Exercise 9: 3 minutes of kettlebell swings with 18 lbs

Excersize 10: Bicep curls with db 5 sets of 10 reps at 25 lbs

Excersize 11: Tricep behind the head extensions 5 sets of 10 reps at 15 lbsb

All of these excersizes are performed with a quick paced intensity. Rest between reps is 30 seconds, rest between excersizes is 1-2 minutes depending on the excersize.

Feel free to critique.

Two Weeks Down
posted 03/13/2008 at 08:23AM

Last night finished my 6th workout day of the HIIT which puts thru two of the eight weeks I plan on training with this routine.

Last nights session was focused on using good form for all of the excersizes. I was really having balance and form problems duing the romanian db lunges, but I took my time to make sure all of these reps had good form, and I went through the full ROM, making sure my leg went parallell to the ground (ouch).

Looking back over the last two weeks I think the weight i am using on the bench press and the deadlifts is to low. With my session tomorrow I’m going to increase my bench press by 20 lbs (maybe 30), and as soon as i can get over to by some new plates and add about 70 more pounds to the deadlift weight. I know these weights have been light but I wanted to leave it light while my body adjusted to this workout program.

Weight Increases

Friday was the 7th workout day of a planned 16 workouts, and the beginning of the third week. Great workout tonight. I felt great in part becasue I finally adjusted my food protein intake to right around 200g. While I’m eating clean (consistently day in and day out) i just havent been able to constanly eat breakfast. I get up get busy (i work from home) and before I know it its almost/lunch time. Corrected this with hardboiled eggs served to me at my desk so i cant help but eat. Also added tuna to the diet yesterday. I will eat as an afternoon snack and drink whey protein drink 1/2 hour prior to workout. My energy level actually feels better.

Incresed my bench press weight by 45 lbs today. Had been lifting 80 lbs 7 x 10 which was way to lite. So today’s bench press portion of the circuit looked like this:
80 lbs 2 x 20
110 lbs 3 x 5
125 lbs 3 x 5

Increased my tricep weight by 15 lbs. Scull Crushers lifts 25lbs 3 x 5

Increased the kettleball swings by two minutes to a total of five minutes. One minute of swings, and one minute of rest until the completion of five total minutes of swings.

The Diet
posted 03/11/2008 at 07:43PM

I noticed most people offering advise want to know what the diet looks like, and also the workout plan. Below is my diet. My workout is posted above.

Breakfast - Plain instant Quaker Oatmeal (one or two packets depending on hunger) with sliced apple/banana or raisins (for sweetner), and a dozen almonds. My other breakfast staple is two hardboiled eggs. I eat one meal oneday and the other the next. Thats it. Maybe 8 oz of OJ or 2% milk.

Snack #1 - ABS recepie protein smoothie (8 oz) or a glass of 100% whey protein (made with water), and 1/2 dozen almonds. Sometimes when i’m on the run i’ll eat a protein bar.

Lunch - One whole grain bread sandwich with mustard, two slices of meat, one slice of cheese, and some leafy green salad (not iceburg). Thats it. I eat two small fillets of white fish or salmon at least 3 times a week for lunch (gordons frozen fillets/seasoned). I put it into a packet of spring mix or spinach salads, or two wheat tortillas (since this is lunch i limit myself to 2 tortillas). There is usually fish left over so i eat it alone with a little fresh squeezed lemon (from my tree) or in a small salad.

Snack #2 - Same as snack #1 with 1/2 dozen almonds

5:00 PM 1/2 hour before workouts (right now 3 days a week) one scoop 100% whey protein (made with water).

Snack #3 - Post workout protein drink (100% Whey) made with water.

Dinner - Large skinless chicken breast (made on a little george for flavor) maybe cooked up with some canned tomatoes (instead of spagetti sauce), some wheat pasta, or cut up into chunks and put into a whole wheat tortilla (2-3 depending on hunger) with a little cheese spread on top, some avocado, or salsa. I also eat steak 1-2 nights a week instead of chicken. My wife also cooks spagetti at least once a week with italian sausage so I limit myself to one sausage (lots of saturated fats). Most of our meals also have a vegetable.

Snack #4 - The ABS diet calls for this snack to be a healthy dessert but I usually eat oranges off of my tree (I know its tough for those in the cold but I live in Sunny So Cal at the beach and my tree produces year round, and in abundance) or an apple/banana with natural peanut butter (with Omega 3 added) spread on each bite. About 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons.

Snack #5 - If i didnt eat peanut butter earlier in the day then I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter, if i did have peanut butter then I usually just eat 1 dozen almonds, or have a slice or two of avocado.

I also drink more water than all the fish in the oceans. I think I put down more than two gallons of water everyday. I pay for it because i piss more than a buss load of frat boys on holiday, but i dont ever feel dehydrated.

Feel free to critique at will.

Holy crap I took one additional day off yesterday (every other day workout then two days off) because my son is home for spring break and I could barly get into my routine. Weights felt heavy, body weight excersizes were hard, and I felt fatigued throught the workout.

Have to up the protein intake. I know this has to be the problem. This isnt the first time i’ve felt like this and it corrected when I ate more protein over the next couple of days. Todays protein intake was 201 grams the majority which came in the form of a steak after my workout.

Thursdays workout will be better.

Ok I received a bit of a blow today when I stepped onto a scale at the doctors office yesterday. This was the first time in about 18 or 24 months that I had weighed myself. The scale said I weighed 344 lbs. Absolutely blew me away. The last time i weighed myself at the gym i remember the weight being 326 lbs.

The reason I was so blown away is because i have been eating clean and healthy foods since the beginning of the year, six meals a day of a fairly balanced diet leaning towards a heavier percentage of protein. I’ve not allowed many cheat meals since the beginning of February. And I can feel, and visually see, that I’ve lost a good amount of weight.

Although learning my current weigh came as a shock to me I need to continue to move forward. Next goal; 314 by the beginning of June. The glass needs to remain half full…Always!

That is the key. Ignore the numbers. I play mind games all the time with the scale. All the time. Use the mirror and clothes as a better gauge.

[quote]Sailorchris wrote:

form for all sets.

Exercise 1: DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) 3 sets of 5 reps with 10 lbs

All of these excersizes are performed with a quick paced intensity. Rest between reps is 30 seconds, rest between excersizes is 1-2 minutes depending on the excersize.

Feel free to critique.
[/quote]

Firstly, cut out the arms. They take away energy from other parts of your body, and you will be working them on plenty of the exercises.

Secondly, I would rearrange these (btw exercises 7,5,4,1 are gnraly - props to you). Do deads, then chest, then squats, then rows, then bike, then lunge, then kettles, then pullups [you can also work these in between exercises] (not chin ups and sometimes do them in a 10,8,6,4,2 rep pattern and add weight/ use the triangle bar and go to either side), follow this with sit ups on an incline,

I ordered them like this to start by activating large parts of the body and put your strongest exercises first. This can help raise metabolism, and it will also get you extremely hot for the whole workout. You need to balance them so you don’t get burnt out. Remember to bring layers and strip/add them to maintain muscle temperature.

I think this may help as a push to shed pounds. Lemme know what you think or if you have any questions.

[quote]Lucid_3ntr0py wrote:
Sailorchris wrote:

form for all sets.

Feel free to critique.

Firstly, cut out the arms. They take away energy from other parts of your body, and you will be working them on plenty of the exercises.

Secondly, I would rearrange these (btw exercises 7,5,4,1 are gnraly - props to you). Do deads, then chest, then squats, then rows, then bike, then lunge, then kettles, then pullups [you can also work these in between exercises] (not chin ups and sometimes do them in a 10,8,6,4,2 rep pattern and add weight/ use the triangle bar and go to either side), follow this with sit ups on an incline,

I ordered them like this to start by activating large parts of the body and put your strongest exercises first. This can help raise metabolism, and it will also get you extremely hot for the whole workout. You need to balance them so you don’t get burnt out. Remember to bring layers and strip/add them to maintain muscle temperature.

I think this may help as a push to shed pounds. Lemme know what you think or if you have any questions.[/quote]

Lucid:

Thanks for the input. I’ll take a look at rearranging my routine. I hadnt really given this too much thought, I was kind of operating “from the book” so to speak.

Yesterdays workout was the 15th HIIT program workout. Beginning with the 13th workout I increased the number of sets from 3 to 4 sets, the reps remain the same at 5. And since some of my weights have inreased I am posting my most current circuit below:

4 sets of 5 reps each excersize

1. DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) with 10lbs db weights

2. Bench Press 115 lbs 4 x 5; 125lbs 4 x 5

3. Bent Over Row - Back Extension Hybrid
    using Olympic bar 135lbs 4 x 5

4. Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press with 10 lbs db 4 x 5

5. 4 x 20 squat jumps; 20s squats; 20s squat and hold (that is a total combination of 4 sets of 5 for each in the sequence listed).

6. Tabata bike sprints:
    Pedal hard for 20s followed by 10s of easy pedaling (4 minutes). Pedal easy for 5 minutes then (4 minutes) of the 20s:10s cycle.

7. Deadlifts 4 x 5 at 135 lbs

8. Waterbury DB Row 4 x 5 using 25 lbs db

9. Kettlebell swings total of 80 using 18 lbs

The workouts have gotten a lot easier. I’m at the point where I’m starting to feel like I’m not doing enough. Next week the routine will remain the same but then the following week I plan on going with the original HIIT plan Waterbury described in his article “real fast fat loss”. The sets will be spead out 5 x 5, 4 x 10, and 3 x 15.

I’m also going to add two days a week of bicept and tricept work. And on these same days run a series of 40 yard sprints. I would like to add squats as well but I still havent gotten a squat rack yet.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I can feel, and visually see, that I’ve lost a good amount of weight.

That is the key. Ignore the numbers. I play mind games all the time with the scale. All the time. Use the mirror and clothes as a better gauge.[/quote]

Thanks for the pick me up. The mirror is still frightening, ans i suspect it will be for some time to come, but the clothes are definately hanging on me now. I just keep telling myself it took me eyars to put this weight on so its not going to come off in a couple of weeks or months.

Todays workout was a little off kilter for me, mainly becuase I wanted to watch the final four games (Memphis you suck), so sorry for that rant.

I broke my routine up into two different sessions. The first session was only bench press 115 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps, 125 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps, and 135 lbs 4 sets of 3 reps.

The second session was several hours later, after those Memphis pricks beat the Bruins, and i got home from church (which I prayed for forgiveness for thinking bad thought about those Memphis pricks). This second session was the HIIT program I’m currently doing (see above posts).

I want to ask anyone who reads this if they have read Bernardi’s article about G-Flex and what they might think about working out several times per day, segregating body parts with a comprehensively thought out routine. And, if you do/don’t agree with the philosophy of G-Flex do you know of any training programs or articles which might be helpful in assembling a daily training program.

Your feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Blast away.

17th Fast Fat Loss workout Session. Decided to change things up a bit. My workouts are changing to allow for an increase to the number of excersizes, and adding some running sprints. I’m going to break up some of the HIIT program and move select excersizes into a second excersize day. Blasted thru Monday’s routine the rest of the new routine will look something along these lines:

Monday

DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) with 20 lbs db weights 4 sets of 5 reps

Bent Over Row - Back Extension Hybrid
using Olympic bar 135lbs 4 sets of 5 reps

Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press with 10 lbs db 4 sets of 5 reps

4 x 20 squat jumps; 20s squats; 20s squat and hold 4 sets of 5 for each

Tabata bike sprints:
Pedal hard for 20s followed by 10s of easy pedaling (4 minutes). Pedal easy for 5 minutes then (4 minutes) of the 20s:10s cycle.

Deadlifts 4 sets of 5 reps at 135 lbs

Waterbury DB Row 4 sets of 5 reps using 25 lbs db

Kettlebell swings total of 80 using 18 lbs

Tuesday

Morning

Warm up walk 1/2 mile

Sprints 8 20 yard sprints at 50%

8 40 yards at 70%

8 40 yards at 90%

Evening

Bench Press 135 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps

Front squats using Olympic Bar only (until form and balance get better) 4 sets of 5 reps

Back squats using Olympic Bar only 4 sets of 5 reps

Floor db press 50 lbs 4 sets of 5 reps

Biceps 50 lb db 4 sets of 10 reps

Triceps 50 lb db 4 sets of 5 reps

Wednesday

DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) with 20 lbs db weights 4 sets of 5 reps

Tabata bike sprints:

Thursday

Morning

Warm up walk 1/2 mile

Sprints 8 20 yard sprints at 50%

8 40 yards at 70%

8 40 yards at 90%

Evening

Front squats using Olympic Bar only (until form and balance get better) 4 sets of 5 reps

Friday

Tabata bike sprints:

Saturdays

Tabata bike HIIT 20 minutes

First day of running and I had to skip it, UGH! My business got in the way, i hate when that happens. The sprints will have to wait until friday morning. The evening workout was good.

Bench Press 135 lbs 8 sets of 5 reps

Bicep Curl w/25 lb db 4 sets of 10

Tricep skull crushers w/25 lb db 4 sets of 10

Floor Presses 25 lb db 4 sets of 10

100 situps on decline bench

I’m also working on fron and back squat form with a regular bar. Did a dozen or so of them with bodyweight and the bar.

Congrats on your life affirming decision to turn around your health. Looks like your putting in the work. That HIIT and metabolic work kicks my ass. I tried a Waterbury program a while back and much prefer to lift heavy and intensely than strictly measure my rest periods and keep breathing at a frenetic pace through my workout…lol.

What I don’t understand is why you’re not doing chin ups in your workouts, since you can supposedly do 10??? Instead the only direct back work I see is rowing. Chin ups/Pull ups are the money movements for building your back.

Quick detach chin up bars that lag bolt into door frames are available to buy if you don’t currently have the equipment at home to do chins.

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
Congrats on your life affirming decision to turn around your health. Looks like your putting in the work. That HIIT and metabolic work kicks my ass. I tried a Waterbury program a while back and much prefer to lift heavy and intensely than strictly measure my rest periods and keep breathing at a frenetic pace through my workout…lol.

What I don’t understand is why you’re not doing chin ups in your workouts, since you can supposedly do 10??? Instead the only direct back work I see is rowing. Chin ups/Pull ups are the money movements for building your back.

Quick detach chin up bars that lag bolt into door frames are available to buy if you don’t currently have the equipment at home to do chins.[/quote]

The ten has turned into three. I admit it, my memory is of a lighter me. I did get to ten when we first started these workouts (7/8 years ago), but at last, i tried recently and only got to three, and that was brutal, and spread out over half an hour, shit i dont remeber them being so hard. There is bars at the track were I’ll run my sprints so I can add them there, now that you mentioned it, thanks. Oh, and thanks for calling me to the carpet though!

I dont have a chin bar here at the house. There’s several things i want to buy and a chin/dip station is one of them. I’m waiting for my son to come home for summer break so we can go shop for gym stuff. I go to pick him up from school 1st week of May. On our way home we’re also going to climb the Angels Landing trail at Zion National Park (I didnt make it last year and it pisses me off), and another one he wants to climb. Momma wants an elliptical machine so I’ll be a wee bit poorer soon.

Hi,

Your workout looks good to me. Your protein intake should be at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight which is over 300 grams of protein a day. I don’t think your hitting that mark.

KraigY

[quote]KraigY wrote:
Hi,

Your workout looks good to me. Your protein intake should be at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight which is over 300 grams of protein a day. I don’t think your hitting that mark.

KraigY
[/quote]

Today was the 18th HIIT Session

You are correct, I am not hitting 330 calories per day. In fact, I am consuming between 190 and 250 grams per day and thats with two or three whey drinks a day. I am in a reduced calorie diet right now. I keep the carbs to under 25% of total calorie intake, and pepper my meals with as much good fats as possible.

I dont think the 1 gram per body weight of protein applies across the board to everyone. When you look at my percentage of body weight that is fat (40%) vs lean muscle it just doesnt compute that I should injest 330 grams of protein daily. Thats the equivalent of eating three pounds of steak per day. Sorry, just aint gonna happen. But my natural weight before the weight gains was around 180, and my goal weight is 225 so I try to keep the proteins on the upper edge of this range.

Tonights workout was horrible. Half way thru i hit a fricken wall, and struggled thru the rest of it.

DB Romanian Deadlift to Split Snatch (plus lunge) with 10lbs db weights 4 sets x 5 reps

using Olympic bar 135lbs 4 sets x 5 reps

Dynamic Lunge plus shoulder press with 10 lbs db 4 sets x 5 reps

4 x 20 squat jumps; 20s squats; 20s squat and hold (that is a total combination of 4 sets of 5 for each in the sequence listed).

1. Tabata bike sprints:

2. Deadlifts 4 sets x 5 reps at 135 lbs

3. Waterbury DB Row 4 sets x 5 reps using 25 lbs db

4. Kettlebell swings total of 80 using 18 lbs