T Nation

HIIT Favorites

Hill sprints are excellent, you’ve got to realize how hard that is on the body though, all that vertical work is brutal. I would put in a much longer rest that just 1:1 on hill sprints as well, I would say more like 1:5 or so. I’ve done hill sprints for 300 meters where after the second set, all I could do was roll around on the ground until my legs stopped burning, I was basically useless after that and for several days after ward.

Here is another good one with some standardization. Either go to a basketball court or measure out 50 feet, a regulation basketball court is 50 feet wide. Start at one sideline and start your watch sprinting to the other line touching it with your foot, turning around and sprinting back to the other line. Each time you touch a line, count it; do it 16 times. This is called a 16 in :60 if your in good shape you should be able to repeatedly do this in under :60 seconds.

That sounds good. Might give that “16 in :60” one a go.

I’ve got loads of random bits of kit in my back garden (tyres, sledgehammers, kegs, sandbags, kettlebells etc), and live on a VERY steep hill. I like doing Tabata intervals with 8 different exercises (bits of kit and bodyweight), then doing 5 hill sprints, and then repeating that about 4 or 5 times. Nice and intense and gets the job done!

Tried the vertimax (400lbs resistance) for the first time ever this week and I can tell you guys it was by far the best conditioning routine I have ever done. Incorporated HIIT by doing 5 jumps, 5 squat jumps then 15 seconds of running on the spot. Rest 25 seconds and do the circuit again 2 more times (3 in total). That constitutes 1 set. Rest 2 minutes between sets and perform 3 total sets. I know most people won’t have access to a vertimax but if you do… do yourself a huge favor and get on it. Unreal results.

100 double unders
5 minutes regular jump-roping

End with another 100 double-unders.

My current favourite…Kettlebell swings for two minutes alternating hands every ten reps then sledge hammer swings for two minutes rest one minute then repeat for three-four sets…Also works good as a finisher…

There’s a guy called Billy Beck, some personal online trainer guy, anyway he has some neat ones:

3 min warm up

Increase level (be it speed on treadmill, level on stationary bike etc) one level every 30 sec 5 times

Decrease 1 level every 30 sec 5 times

Repeat again and again.

You can also do it where you go up 10 levels and back down.

I like a bike for either 20 seconds @ 100% and then 10 seconds @ 50-60% for 8 rounds or 30 seconds @ 100% and then 30 seconds @ 50-60% for 10 rounds. In between I keep the bike at about 60% for 6-8 minutes. I usually do 2 or 3 rounds in a 20-25 minute time period. Seems to get the job done.

I like putting anywhere from 60-90kilos on a bench and pushing it around the gym until I vomit.

I also like 10 star jumps, 10 chin-ups, 10 push-ups and 10 jumping squats. Repeat every 2mins (eg if the this takes you 1 minute to get through, you get 1 mins rest). Thank-you Ross Training.

I also like 100 KB swings (each arm) 25 chins, 50 push-up and 100 squats. Do as quick as possible, but finish one before you move onto the next. If you dont’ beat your previous time, you have to do it again.

Im just getting into my HIIT routine so I dont do anything special…I sprint balls out across a football field (i think its like 53 yds or something) walk back, sprint across, walk back etc etc…I do about 10-12 sprints and call it a day…I was doing low intensity steady state cardio for the past few weeks so my wind isnt quite there yet so Im only on the field for about 20 or 25 minutes

If you have a sport, incorporate into your Hiit.

I do: (1) Front kick to heavy bag, one minute all out, rest one minute. Repeat 5 times

(2) Round kick on BodyOpp bag, same

(3) Knee strike, same

(4) Elbow to temple on BodyOpp bag, same

Now repeat above with OTHER leg and other arm.

I drink Purple Wraath throughout. It helps a lot.

The best of luck with your cut!

One of my personal favorites is a pyramid style sprints on the elptical. Due to bad kness I can’t take the pounding on the treadmil or road so I use the elitical or bike. I sprint for 20sec. 30sec. 45sec, 60sec. 45sec. 30sec. 20sec. with 1 minute rest in between. It has worked well for me and only takes abuout 20min. to do.

Magic 50
5x
5 DB Snatches per arm (22,5kg)
5 DB Swings per Arm
10 burpees
For time.

For as many rounds as you can within 20 min
5 pull-ups
10 MB Slams
15 Burpees
20 Jumping jacks

Sweet 16

Tabata punching bag
Tabata squats
Tabata punching bag
Tabata push-ups

Interval Challenge
4x
12 burpees
24 push-ups
36 squats
500m row (or 400m run)
For time

Deck of cards:
Black -burpees
Red -push-ups
Joker-50 squats

All pictures have values of ten ,the rest as shown
Shuffle the deck
Put it face down
Pick up the card from the top
Do what it tells: Black ace-11 burpees
Put the card aside
Pick up another one…
Non stop
52 cards
Altogether you’ll perform 190 burpees and 190 push-ups plus 100 squats.
Takes about 50min to complete.
The sweet thing about it that it can never be the same. Worth trying.

[quote]Waffles wrote:

I use tabata too - barbell thrusters or kettlebell woodchops work best for me as I don’t have anywhere to sprint nearby.

I’ve made some mp3 tracks for tabata drills by overlaying the timer from the beachfitness.com site. They can be downloaded from 4shared.com if they’re of any use to anyone:

http://www.4shared.com/u/vvzszzzv/1fdcd8fe/Waffles.html [/quote]

Sweet! Thanks!

If you have access…tabata on a hand bike followed up with a tabata on a spin cycle. Repeat as desired.

gorelik wrote:
Magic 50
5x
5 DB Snatches per arm (22,5kg)
5 DB Swings per Arm
10 burpees
For time.

For as many rounds as you can within 20 min
5 pull-ups
10 MB Slams
15 Burpees
20 Jumping jacks

Sweet 16

Tabata punching bag
Tabata squats
Tabata punching bag
Tabata push-ups

Interval Challenge
4x
12 burpees
24 push-ups
36 squats
500m row (or 400m run)
For time

Deck of cards:
Black -burpees
Red -push-ups
Joker-50 squats

Shuffle the deck
Put it face down
Put the card aside
Pick up another one…
Non stop
52 cards

Hey gorelik - nice Tabata drill! Gotta luv when a punching bag is thrown into the mix…hullva lot more fun than burpees. Have you done “manmaker” burpees…all the fun of the burpee while holding on to some dumbells…those are a killer! BTW, what’s your Fran time! :wink:

^ I see someone’s a fan of Ross also, haha.

Personal favs…

Airdyne bike sprints… 20 sec on, 40 off. 30/30, depends on conditioning. Do that for 5-15 minutes.
Prowler til puke
Hill sprints til puke
Exercise bike sprints
Complexes can be ridiculous
Straight up sprinting… anywhere from 100-400m.

Cosgrovian complexes ftw

Airdyne bike sprints also… 30 sec on, 90 sec off… last time I was doing 30 sec on, followed by 20 med ball slams, rest 90, repeat

Prowler… all kinds of fun. Currently doing a pull-push mash up. Little description:
Take prowler, add weight. Take long rope (I think its 30 yds, like 3" diameter, pretty sure it weighs 50lbs).
Tie rope to low posts on prowler and walk rope out as far as possible.
Pull prowler to you with the rope, immediately turn it around and push it back with high posts.
Walk back down to the other end of the rope/Rest
Repeat til your arms and back fry
Remove rope
Push down and back til your lungs or legs give out

BB Complexes

KB Swings on the minute… 10 swings on the minute, every minute

[quote]gorelik wrote:
Deck of cards:
Black -burpees
Red -push-ups
Joker-50 squats

Shuffle the deck
Put it face down
Put the card aside
Pick up another one…
Non stop
52 cards

[/quote]

Thanks for this…good change of pace from the gym monotony. I might get weird looks when I yell “BLACKJACK!”