Higland Games in NE Florida / SE Georgia

Is anyone here a Highland Games competitor in the northeast Florida or southeast georgia area? I’m planning to compete in the Feb 2006 games in Jacksonville. It will be my first Highland Games, and I’m trying to find other competitors who can help me out with technique.

Tom Woolf

I live in Gainesville and am really interested in getting started in heavy athletics myself. Have you already started training or are you looking to get started?

[quote]GreatBigScot wrote:
I live in Gainesville and am really interested in getting started in heavy athletics myself. Have you already started training or are you looking to get started?[/quote]

GO GATORS!

Where do you train?

I live in Gainesville and am really interested in getting started in heavy athletics myself. Have you already started training or are you looking to get started?[/quote]

I started training the events just a couple of weeks ago. I have no competitive throwing experience, so my technique is probably terrible; I’ve done a little O-lifting, though, and that helps. At this point I’m still getting a feel for the techniques and training implements. I’ve ordered a training DVD, but haven’t got it yet. So far I’ve got stones of various weights to practice the clachneart, an adjustable practice hammer (4’ PVC handle with weight plates for the “head”), and a not-quite-straight 16’ log for a practice caber. I’ve got a weight handle and a three-tined pitchfork coming in the mail this week.

I’ve been practicing throws at the local baseball field. I’d like to find someone more experienced than myself to help me with technique, but lacking that I will do what I can on my own.

I’ve registered to compete in the Charleston Highland Games on the third weekend in September. This will be my first taste of actual HG competion. I’m hoping to learn a lot in Charleston, then make a good showing in Jacksonville in February.

Jacksonville huh? I doubt I will compete, but being that I live here I will check it out.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
GreatBigScot wrote:
I live in Gainesville and am really interested in getting started in heavy athletics myself. Have you already started training or are you looking to get started?

GO GATORS!

Where do you train?

[/quote]
I, unfortunately, train at Gainesville Health & Fitness (Wealth & Fashion) because it is the only place that’s open at the hours I need and they have good cardio equipment, I can’t make myself do much cardio outside the gym. I’m trying to convince them that they need a power rack. I used to train at Gainesville Gym , but the hours there are no longer compatible with my schedule. I miss it.

[quote]twoolf wrote:
GreatBigScot wrote:

I started training the events just a couple of weeks ago. I have no competitive throwing experience, so my technique is probably terrible; I’ve done a little O-lifting, though, and that helps. At this point I’m still getting a feel for the techniques and training implements. I’ve ordered a training DVD, but haven’t got it yet. So far I’ve got stones of various weights to practice the clachneart, an adjustable practice hammer (4’ PVC handle with weight plates for the “head”), and a not-quite-straight 16’ log for a practice caber. I’ve got a weight handle and a three-tined pitchfork coming in the mail this week.

I’ve been practicing throws at the local baseball field. I’d like to find someone more experienced than myself to help me with technique, but lacking that I will do what I can on my own.

I’ve registered to compete in the Charleston Highland Games on the third weekend in September. This will be my first taste of actual HG competion. I’m hoping to learn a lot in Charleston, then make a good showing in Jacksonville in February.
[/quote]

Well, it certainly sounds like you’ve got your shit together, alot more than myself. I’m definitely not any more experienced than you are so I doubt if I can be of any real assisstance, other than moral support. Where are you getting your equipment from? I would really be interested in purchasing some. Good luck in Charleston and I would appreciate any words of wisdom you could pass along because I would really like to compete in Jax.

Nate Dogg wrote:
GreatBigScot wrote:

GO GATORS!

Where do you train?

I, unfortunately, train at Gainesville Health & Fitness (Wealth & Fashion) because it is the only place that’s open at the hours I need and they have good cardio equipment, I can’t make myself do much cardio outside the gym. I’m trying to convince them that they need a power rack. I used to train at Gainesville Gym , but the hours there are no longer compatible with my schedule. I miss it.[/quote]

I used to train at the Gainesville Gym as well. After 10 years, I had enough of that place. I built my own home gym last summer and it was the best thing I ever did!

Along with a basic set up (power rack, olympic weight set, flat bench, etc.), I also have a dragging sled, sandbags, kbells and a few other implements.

Well, it certainly sounds like you’ve got your shit together, alot more than myself. I’m definitely not any more experienced than you are so I doubt if I can be of any real assisstance, other than moral support. Where are you getting your equipment from? I would really be interested in purchasing some. Good luck in Charleston and I would appreciate any words of wisdom you could pass along because I would really like to compete in Jax.[/quote]

I ordered my weight handle and pitchfork from “The Old Celt” (NASGA - Old Celt Equipment).

The Scottish Heavy Athletics website (Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos) has some good info on improvised and homemade training implements. I was lucky to find a caber-sized log on a recently cleared lot down the street from my house. One afternoon I walked over and cut the log to size with a handsaw, tied on a piece of nylon webbing and dragged it sled-style down the block to my house. It was a good little workout. The neighbors stared a little, but hey, I don’t have a pickup truck, and if I were worried about the neighbors staring I would be throwing rocks, weights, and sheaves in my back yard.

I’ll post results from Charleston after the meet. Hope to see you in Jax in February.