Highly Unsatisfied With The Overhead

Robert Wilkerson - 445 lb. Push Press - YouTube after seeing that I wanted to press more than him

lol

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
Robert Wilkerson - 445 lb. Push Press - YouTube after seeing that I wanted to press more than him[/quote]

That’s a push press though. I mean, it’s still fucking insane, but not quite as insane as a strict press of near 500.

In fact, I’m pretty sure you could count on one hand the number of people who have ever strict pressed 500 in the history of mankind.

Vasily Alexeev, Serge Reding, Rudolph Mang, Ken Patera, and… I dunno I think that’s it.

I get where you guys are coming from thanks for the advice. I definitely plan on pressing over 400 which obviously gonna take years but I love doing this so I can’t see getting to like 250 and saying yeahh this won’t work. As far as the disc goes I think the acupuncture doctor is out of his mind. My sciatic pain is almost gone and I didn’t have low back pain a day in my life.

This was just an idea but I was thinking once the sciatic pain is 100% gone, maybe like 3 weeks after run Smolov. My squat is garbage so I would squat 4x a week like that calls for and bench/overhead twice a week. Only problem is no deadlifting so I’m not to sure. Maybe just run 5/3/1 or some type of West side soon [/quote]

Yeah good thinking. 3 weeks with a healthy back is enough to prepare you for the toughest squat program known to man. Maybe you shouldn’t even bother with the three weeks, just go straight into Smolov. Then you can beat yourself up even quicker.

Seriously, a more moderate program will help you more in the long run. You can’t set PRs hurt. Priority #1 is staying healthy. It doesn’t matter how hard you train if you are hurt 50% of the time. I’ve been there. It was dumb.

Robert Wilkerson - 445 lb. Push Press - YouTube after seeing that I wanted to press more than him[/quote]
Id fight him

crush your triceps and eat dbol like skittles :wink:

Are there any cases where people have hit a plateau on a lift and then gone to more than double that number in their lifetime? I think that given any big lift those lifters had probably reached 50% of that early in their training without any real struggles.

For the OP

It’s not going to happen. Just because you see some youtube videos of the strongest guys out there doing it doesn’t mean that it’s possible for you to do.

First, you’ve got an injured back. That alone is a show stopper for you.

Second, you’re struggling with 185 and asking people on an internet forum for help. You’re not even halfway there. Are you even at BW? What do you weigh right now?

Third, you’re not an elite athlete. These vids aren’t just joe schmoe pressing that much weight. Fucking Klokov had a lift named after him if that gives you an indicator of the caliber of talent.

My advice is to set some reasonable goals and move forward from there. 400 or 500 lbs isn’t even in the same universe as realistic.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
It’s not going to happen. Just because you see some youtube videos of the strongest guys out there doing it doesn’t mean that it’s possible for you to do.

First, you’ve got an injured back. That alone is a show stopper for you.

Second, you’re struggling with 185 and asking people on an internet forum for help. You’re not even halfway there. Are you even at BW? What do you weigh right now?

Third, you’re not an elite athlete. These vids aren’t just joe schmoe pressing that much weight. Fucking Klokov had a lift named after him if that gives you an indicator of the caliber of talent.

My advice is to set some reasonable goals and move forward from there. 400 or 500 lbs isn’t even in the same universe as realistic.

james[/quote]

/thread

Lot of replies

1. It’s not even certain I have a herniated disc, he only said it was possible because I had some of the worst sciatic pain AFTER dead lifting which would make sense. I have absolutely 0 back pain. I’m not gonna fuck up and go back under the bar too soon. I’m considering smolov and said 3 weeks as a hopeful best case scenario because I want to get squatting ASAP

2. I train the push press not strict standing press

3. It’s easy for you to say I’m not going to press 400 because I’m not at body weight but I’m pretty sure all the best lifters have not been pressing 400 since they were 16 so it obviously comes with time.

4. Obviously you don’t have to be born a freak athlete, I’m pretty athletic and with work,eating right, and training right you can press heavy.

5. It’s easy for the people on here ( not sayin names ) to come onto my post just to say, Hey kid you won’t press 400. At least I’m in the gym busting my ass because I want to break records and not at home popping pills which my old lifting parter is at home doing cause he’s a fuck up. I posted this to get some input on how to press more and that’s it.

Thanks for the positive replies

You post a new thread every 10 minutes. Get off the internet and eat a steak or 2, do some rehab, and chase your goals. It will be much more beneficial.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
You post a new thread every 10 minutes. Get off the internet and eat a steak or 2, do some rehab, and chase your goals. It will be much more beneficial. [/quote]
chibi’s growing up

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
You post a new thread every 10 minutes. Get off the internet and eat a steak or 2, do some rehab, and chase your goals. It will be much more beneficial. [
I guess I can’t come here and post some things for some info. Mind your business dude it’s a damn question because I want to get my numbers up. Eating a steak won’t make my numbers go up. Thank you very much for your informative reply

Eating a steak won’t make my numbers go up.
[/quote]
Yes. Yes, it would.

Eating a steak won’t make my numbers go up. Thank you very much for your informative reply
[/quote]

Oh really? So you don’t need to eat, just go into the gym and magically you’ll get to 400bs in no time.

Want to get to a 400lb overhead? Then eat, train, eat, train, eat, train. Do that for 15 years and maybe you’ll get there.

I’m insulted that you think it’s even possible for you to get to 400lbs to be honest. Do you know how much weight that is? Can you even squat or deadlift that? Or bench it?

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

Eating a steak won’t make my numbers go up. Thank you very much for your informative reply
[/quote]

Oh really? So you don’t need to eat, just go into the gym and magically you’ll get to 400bs in no time.

Want to get to a 400lb overhead? Then eat, train, eat, train, eat, train. Do that for 15 years and maybe you’ll get there.

I’m insulted that you think it’s even possible for you to get to 400lbs to be honest. Do you know how much weight that is? Can you even squat or deadlift that? Or bench it?

james
[/quote]

What I was saying was just having some steak will not make me lift freakish amount of weight. I think it’s great that a bunch of “men” on here think it’s entertaining or some shit that a 16 year old who’s been lifting since 7th grade wants to be one of the strongest power lifters ever so instead of saying oh yeah that’s extremely hard you gotta eat right train right and be determined to do that. But no you’re sitting here saying that you are insulted with my fuckin goal.

That’s pathetic honestly, listening to all the people on here telling me what I “Can” and “Can’t” do is not putting a dent in my effort cause I’ll read the shit talking on here and be right back in the gym tomorrow. Have a good one, and good luck with any goals that you have in the future

What I was saying was just having some steak will not make me lift freakish amount of weight. I think it’s great that a bunch of “men” on here think it’s entertaining or some shit that a 16 year old who’s been lifting since 7th grade wants to be one of the strongest power lifters ever so instead of saying oh yeah that’s extremely hard you gotta eat right train right and be determined to do that. But no you’re sitting here saying that you are insulted with my fuckin goal.

That’s pathetic honestly, listening to all the people on here telling me what I “Can” and “Can’t” do is not putting a dent in my effort cause I’ll read the shit talking on here and be right back in the gym tomorrow. Have a good one, and good luck with any goals that you have in the future
[/quote]

It’s great you have goals. And if a 400 overhead is one of them then best of luck.

You’re not going to get there asking guys on the internet who can’t even see what your form looks like. Get a coach. Find a gym where really, really strong dudes lift and hang out there. And eat. You said that steak isn’t going to make you lift big weights but it is. You need to put on a lot of weight to hope to move that kind of poundage.

Learn how to push press. That’s going to be your best bet at moving that much weight. I highly doubt you’ll ever strict press it but if you’re committed, train hard, and eat more food than you think possible then you might just push press it.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[/quote]

james
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you’re physically capable of a strict press in the distant future, you will have to sacrifice a lot. Basically, everything in your life will have to be devoted to getting you closer to that goal. What some of the great lifters did is get some sponsorship and a part time job on the side and their full time job was the bodybuilding or olympic lifting or whatever their weightlifting goal was.

Oh, and your first step will be to get to 185. What is your current routine?

james