Highland Games?

Anyone here have experiance with highland games type events?

Im going to see an event later this month, Im too young to compete this year,(Havent been too young for something in a long time :slight_smile: )
it looks like a fun afternoon.

Anyways, once Ive grown up enough, I think I might like to give it a go.

Any training advice? I think it would be funny to start tossing a kaber around at the local gym.

Where are you located? I doubt you would want information pertaining to Highland games that are several states away from you.

Actually, Im mostly looking for general impressions from anyone who may have competed in any similar events, as well as training advice if any exists.

Location isnt really important, just info.

I have compeed 2 times this year. In fact I just competed in Estes Park Colorado this past Saturday. I came in 3rd in the C class out of 8. You will want to get strong and fast. Check out Dan John’s site as well as NASGA. I love the games, it is a lot of fun. And its spelled CABER.

Hey wimpy, 10 year competitor here. Started when i was 13, so I can almost guarantee you’re not too young.

PM me with specific questions and location, I’ll probably be able to hook you up with a training group

Hey Tbone

Could you do the same for me!?

I’m looking forward to my first highland games competition this november. I’ve read up on it as much as i can from dan johns website. I’m not training or practicing any specific events, just olympic lifting and strength training in general. I’m just gonna show up, jump into it and see how i do. Good luck to you guys in your upcoming competitions.

Is anyone here going to the New Hampshire Games Sept 23-25? It is the Masters World Championships. I am going to be there on Sat. The whole festival looks to be a great time.

Just as an aside…

What kilt/tartan will you be wearing?

As a clergyman, I’d love to go in a Clergy tartan, but more likely it’ll be a Robertson Red or Hunting (wife’s clan).

I currently wear the Stewart Black but I am looking into getting the Air Force tartan.

My son is going into the USAF, so we are likewise looking at that for him eventually.

Right now, just preparing for Robertson Reds for the rest of the family.

[quote]wtagye wrote:
Is anyone here going to the New Hampshire Games Sept 23-25? It is the Masters World Championships. I am going to be there on Sat. The whole festival looks to be a great time.[/quote]

Im hoping to go to the games on the 23 in order to see just what Im getting myself into.

In fact the flyer for the games is what got me to thinking of trying highland games.