T Nation

Highest Calorie/Cheapest Food

I’m trying to find out the highest calorie, cheapest food out there(one that I could easily find to…). I’ve been having trouble getting my calories in. I don’t realy care if its healthy or not, and i also don’t care if it has a bad taste(or lack of)

Thanks.

PSSS, Vote Kerry

Start mixing peanut butter and ice cream with your shakes.

DI

my guess would be bagged flour…just mix it with water and eat it.

peanut butter with sunflower seeds mixed in on bread with 2 cups of whole milk

I’m thinking butter…

…but peanut butter and milk would be more practical choices. Both provide lots of calories and are easy to take in large amounts.

Pure peanut butter (not the 85% peanut 15% salt ones) is one of the thickest sources of food… it does contain a large proportion of saturated fats and its hard to find peanut butter w/o added sugar so watch that gut. However, peanut butter is usually over 20% protein and ~600cal/100g, and cheap at that. Milk is also a good source for those who need to bulk (though don’t use it if your metabolism is slow… lots of F+C)… one common thing in old body-building mags is breathing squats + 3L of milk per day… works like a charm, for a while (but then you start getting fat =/). Milk is about 8% protein. I’d reccomend against the ice-cream - it’s not overly cheap and generally is F+C without protein. Bread is also a cheap and reasonably dense food, lowish on proteins (wheat misses one essential amino acid) and likely to make you feel full, however. Oh, and pizza. There’s a reason people that live off pizza are fat; it’s loaded with P+F+C. But i’d use that as a last resort - like I said, people get fat from it :slight_smile:

If you really just want calories and don’t care about the health, then large amounts of butter are in order.

…but if you like your heart, peanut butter and milk would probably be more practical. Both are loaded with different kinds of calories and are easy to take in large amounts.

I imagine that lard is pretty cheap, but I wouldn’t want to eat it.

Now pizza, ice cream, apple pie, and cheese cake are a different story.

Wow, i realy appreciate all the ideas, especialy the flour one(im just wondeirng whether to swallow…or chew)

Keep em comin’

Don Alessi recommends heavy whipping cream. 1 cup has 390 cals (mostly from fat - 44 grams or which 28 are saturated). I’m not sure how much it costs as I’ve never tried it.

I so not eat them anymore but buy a bag of potatoes. Lots of starch…

big mac and large milshake.

What about coconut milk.

[quote]Superman wrote:
I’m trying to find out the highest calorie, cheapest food out there(one that I could easily find to…). I’ve been having trouble getting my calories in. I don’t realy care if its healthy or not, and i also don’t care if it has a bad taste(or lack of)

Thanks.[/quote]

This is easy. Olive oil. You will benefit health wise too! Try it with high protien low carb meals. Start with about 3 tbl spoons a day.

PSSS, Vote Kerry

Pure cheapness has got to go to a major agricultural grain product.

Buy a HUGE bag of flour and make bread, or a HUGE bag of rice, or corn meal… shop where resteraunts shop if you want to save those extra pennies. And by huge I mean 50lb sack. Make a yeast starter and keep it in the fridge, it will last years.

Now caloric density is different, all fats are 8 cals/gram, so whatever the cheapest fat you can find would be another cheap caloric source. But things like coconut milk and heavy cream, while great for putting on weight, are no where near as cheap per cal as grains.

(of course, we have no protein… protein ain’t cheap mate).

Janders,
aren’t fats 9 kcal/gram?

[quote]mdragon wrote:
This is easy. Olive oil. You will benefit health wise too! Try it with high protien low carb meals. Start with about 3 tbl spoons a day.
[/quote]

Olive oil is expensive, if you don’t care about your health chug down canola oil… its about 1/6 the price (at least here in aus; if in the us it’s different then be sure to slap me)

Mind you, it’s about 6x worse for you.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Janders,
aren’t fats 9 kcal/gram?[/quote]

Hah, good point. I blame that totally on bad typing. Yea… bad typing.

Though the 9-4-4 numbers are only an approximation: I know carbs are a bit under 4cal/gram (3.6 comes to mind), and protein is just slightly above. I have no idea what fat actually is.

Flour is cheap and tastes good. The only thing required for a lean loaf of bread, something like French bread or Italian bread is flour, water, salt, and yeast. Consult Peter Reinhart’s bread books if you are interested in bread baking.

I think ten bucks of olive oil would last at least a few weeks. Then if you buy it in a big jug at Sam’s about twenty bucks for a few months. No slapping just licking.