Higher Volume Training to Match Better with Your Genetic Code

I know the tnation croud is big on low volume high intensity. However i used to be a pretty good tennis player and cross country runner. Plus i usually wake up with a heart rate of about 48 beats per minute. I also take 8000 steps a day. Do you all think due to my athletic background that training with higher volume 3-5 sets per exercise, 25-40 sets per workout would be better for me.

What about your joints bro?!

What does your genetic code say about your tendons?

Do you? This is the first time Iā€™ve heard that. Iā€™m not sure how you came to that conclusion ā€¦

Iā€™m also not sure what ā€˜genetic codeā€™ has to do with your post. All you talked about was your athletic background.

In any event, thereā€™s nothing wrong with higher volume training, and depending on your goals, that can absolutely be the right way to go. I have run very high volume programs, and Iā€™ve run low volume programs. Everything can work.

I will also add that having an athletic background doesnā€™t NECESSARILY mean high volume training is the right way to go. Iā€™m still a competitive athlete, and I train relatively low volume. You just need to figure out what works for you

4 Likes

This is news to me.

6 Likes

What type of sets are you thinking here? Sub maximal sets, speed work?

I canā€™t do that type of work if Iā€™m pushing sets hard. Depends on if I have a good amount of easier lifts as well. Stuff like curls.

I donā€™t think this is too crazy though if you account for the higher volume by adjusting the workouts.

I did about 20 sets today.

Iā€™d suggest maybe finding a reputable template to follow that is around the volume youā€™re looking for if you want to try it. Difficult to balance the difficulty if Iā€™m left to my own.

2 Likes

Honestly I need at least 2 weeks to recover after hitting any given muscle; anything less and Iā€™m not achieving peak performance.

This is a huge range.

Steps are a silly metric for fitness.

If you want to up the volume, just do it, and eat some more food. Youā€™re overthinking this thing. Itā€™s not about what you do now - itā€™s about what you do over the next 10+ years.

3 Likes

How much volume are you doing now? If itā€™s 10 sets, I wouldnā€™t start doing 40 next week.

Like everyone else said, thereā€™s a time and place for everything. For most of us, our volume is going to tend to wave up and down over the course of a year.

Are you following a program or doing your own thing? If it were me, Iā€™d try a couple professionally-written 12-week programs on either end of the volume spectrum as written. After awhile, youā€™ll know where you tend to lean. Then you can start tweaking whichever programs you like more toward your style. I still recommend tweaking the proā€™s work vs just doing whatever you want.

@T3hPwnisher does the above perhaps better than anyone, and documents it extraordinarily well, if you need an example.

3 Likes

I tend to go really hard if left to my own to pick the weights, sets, reps. It starts fine, but in 3-4 weeks my sets end up being grinders. Best for me to follow some sort of program / template, or borrow from it heavily (which is what I am doing now with the cube method).

4 Likes

Iā€™m the same - best to just leave it in someone elseā€™s hands.
I also really think itā€™s freeing to not have to make choices. I just choose the program and then Iā€™m in execute mode from there. We all have too many decisions to make every day. Iā€™m at my best when Iā€™m thinking the least.

4 Likes

I normally do straight sets on an exercise. the same weight on every set were the fatiugue gradually kicks in

Youā€™re very much coming across as someone who shouldnā€™t do his own programming.

There are plenty of high volume templates out there that are proven to work. Iā€™d suggest picking one and doing it exactly as written. I donā€™t believe you have the knowledge or experience necessary to program for yourself.

6 Likes

I didnā€™t connect the dots earlier, but he bought both of CTā€™s books and made a post questioning CTā€™s suggestion for frequency so yeah, youā€™re spot on, and he has picked a program so he just needs to follow it and ask less questions.

I do understand though - programming for myself was the first thing I wanted to do and one of the last things I actually learned to do.

5 Likes

I couldā€™ve saved myself the better part of 5 years had i been smart enough to buy a program when i first started lifting. Took literal years of trial and error to find out what works and why

3 Likes

Actually at the moment i am doing my own thing. I bought the ebooks in pursuit of new ideas.

Refraining from doing this will save you a LOT of heartache, I promise

4 Likes

Thatā€™s generally why people buy lifting books. You bought it and then questioned the authorā€™s approach to frequency in a manner that suggests you donā€™t understand much about this stuff.

Read the books. Follow them to the T. That is how you will learn how to ā€œdo your own thing.ā€

3 Likes

For real - thatā€™s the key. You wonā€™t learn this stuff by reading; the gainz come from application.

Thatā€™s really not just this game; thereā€™s a reason @flappinit has clinical days and a residency component (sorry if I misnamed - I donā€™t know your program in detail).

2 Likes

Yes, we got that part, lol. Weā€™re ALL telling you itā€™s a bad idea. I feel like youā€™re not reading the responses in this thread closely. Iā€™ll be bowing out. No reason to give detailed responses to people who donā€™t read them.

2 Likes

Just curious, how strong are you doing your own thing. Bench press?

I should add that ā€œdoing my own thingā€ might describe how I approached bodybuilding. That was my aim within 6 months of beginning to lift weights, but that was 1968 when there was limited information.

Most important is: are you getting stronger?

Your mention of ā€œgenetic codeā€ was confusing at best. But you said you ran cross country. That alone tells me you are wasting your time trying to add significant muscle mass. But thatā€™s just me. Donā€™t allow my opinion to stop you from proving me wrong.

2 Likes