T Nation

Higher Volume for Leg Hypertrophy?

On leg day I have been working from higher reps down to a heavy set of 5 or so reps. The exception is with deadlift, where I jump right into heavier low volume work after warmup sets.
I have heard that, since the legs are primarily composed of slow twitch muscle fibers when compared to upper body muscles, it is best to train for hypertrophy with a higher rep range (around 20 reps per set as opposed to 10).
I’d appreciate any input on what others have found to work best for them.

nothing seems to work for me

[quote]illgixxer wrote:
nothing seems to work for me[/quote]

Nothing? Interesting. I will try that approach.

For guys trying to gain leg size listen to what I have to say here!!! First you have got to increase your calories, you have GOT to start gaining weight. YOU MUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GAIN THAT WEIGHT! If it means eating every 2 hours and even getting up in the middle of the night and eating, then YOU DO THAT if you truly want to get bigger.

By the way some have done exactly what I just said . This means preparing meals ahead of time and carrying it with you in containers in a ice chest.

Another thing is you must get STRONGER and that means the basics and we all know what they are, right? I recommend taking a small cycle approach to your leg training. Take 4 days to cover this. This means it may take 2 weeks to do the entire cycle. Leg Day 1… you will squat or deadlift working up to heavy sets of 3-5, That is all you do… Use plenty of rest between sets to maximize the weight you can lift.

Leg Day 2 you will do isolation training for the quads only. This means high volume leg extensions. Use a weight that you can do approx 20 reps with and do many sets ( how many is up to you and the amount of pump you are getting… try to increase the sets to at least 10) Here is the KEY…only rest 15-20 sec between sets !!! ( if u cannot do this, lighten the load ) Go for a SUPER PUMP EFFECT. You can also do drop sets .

If you do it right, your quads will be screaming for mercy!! And occasionaly you can add a compound movement or 2 following these. Use the same short rest using either squats or leg press. Day 3 you will do isolation training for your hamstrings. Use the same protocol as for quads using the leg curl machine or preferably a strap/cable set up off the low pulley. And as with quads, you can follow this with a compound movement occasionally.

Use romanian or stiff leg deadlifts, cable pull thru, back hyperextension, etc. Day 4 you will do higher volume squats ( do sets of 10 one week, sets of 12 the next week, sets of 15 the next and repeat)

Remember this is 4 different legs workouts to be followed in the order I listed them done on your scheduled leg days. So if you have 2 leg workouts scheduled per week it will take you 2 weeks to get through it.
Work hard and work smart

[quote]rocket man 400 wrote:
For guys trying to gain leg size listen to what I have to say here!!! First you have got to increase your calories, you have GOT to start gaining weight. YOU MUST DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GAIN THAT WEIGHT! If it means eating every 2 hours and even getting up in the middle of the night and eating, then YOU DO THAT if you truly want to get bigger.

By the way some have done exactly what I just said . This means preparing meals ahead of time and carrying it with you in containers in a ice chest.

Another thing is you must get STRONGER and that means the basics and we all know what they are, right? I recommend taking a small cycle approach to your leg training. Take 4 days to cover this. This means it may take 2 weeks to do the entire cycle. Leg Day 1… you will squat or deadlift working up to heavy sets of 3-5, That is all you do… Use plenty of rest between sets to maximize the weight you can lift.

Leg Day 2 you will do isolation training for the quads only. This means high volume leg extensions. Use a weight that you can do approx 20 reps with and do many sets ( how many is up to you and the amount of pump you are getting… try to increase the sets to at least 10) Here is the KEY…only rest 15-20 sec between sets !!! ( if u cannot do this, lighten the load ) Go for a SUPER PUMP EFFECT. You can also do drop sets .

If you do it right, your quads will be screaming for mercy!! And occasionaly you can add a compound movement or 2 following these. Use the same short rest using either squats or leg press. Day 3 you will do isolation training for your hamstrings. Use the same protocol as for quads using the leg curl machine or preferably a strap/cable set up off the low pulley. And as with quads, you can follow this with a compound movement occasionally.

Use romanian or stiff leg deadlifts, cable pull thru, back hyperextension, etc. Day 4 you will do higher volume squats ( do sets of 10 one week, sets of 12 the next week, sets of 15 the next and repeat)

Remember this is 4 different legs workouts to be followed in the order I listed them done on your scheduled leg days. So if you have 2 leg workouts scheduled per week it will take you 2 weeks to get through it.
Work hard and work smart[/quote]

Interesting suggestion. I think I will try this, as I actually did something similar to day one this morning. Instead of my typical leg day (squats or deads, then RDLS or front squats, leg press, leg curl/extension, etc.) I just did 20 sets of squats working down to heavy sets at the end.
Thanks for the advice.

[/quote]

DUDE THIS FUCKING POST IS SO FUCKING HARDCORE IT MAKES MY HEAD EXPLODE!!!

WOW!!!

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]

WOW!!![/quote]

Loll!

Mix of both higher reps (20+) and lower reps seem to work best for me…

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]

WOW!!![/quote]

lulz pit