High Volume vs High Intensity for Size?

Hi everyone

I am just trying to get peoples opinions on this debate as I am putting together my new program. My aims are to build muscle and gain some size as I’m currently weighing 176lbs and I am 5ft 10 in height. I am more than happy with my routines that I do as I work shifts and have 2 young boys so I’m pretty busy so can only get in the gym 3xa week. So the question I’m asking is do you find that higher volume with lighter weights works better or the low volume high intensity approach is more affective at building muscle through hypertrophy.

Thanks in advance

Probably not the answer you wish to hear, but it’s really a combination of both. The amounts of either depend on the individual in terms of progress though.

Yeah that’s what I have been reading. When I say lighter weights I still mean very challenging. Recently I have been going with the high intensity approach and I have been progressing well but each time I get to a good level of strength I always seem to pick up injury that set me back and that’s why I started this post really

Step 1:
Pick one of these programs and run it for 12-24 weeks
5/3/1 BBB
5/3/1 Building The Monolith
Simple Guaranteed Strength and Size (Christian Thibaudeau)

Step 2:
Eat a shit ton of high quality food.

After 6 months you should be bigger and stronger.

1 Like

Lately I’ve been doing;

Moderate Intensity as a percentage of max weight lifted. Like weights in the 70%-80% range.

High Intensity as a feeling. Work hard, or lift those moderate weights until close to failure.

Low volume per exercise. A couple/few warm up sets, then 1 or 2 work sets in the 6-10 or 12-15 rep range.

High volume per muscle group or body part. You might do 3-4 exercises for each muscle group.

2 Likes

Short answer, heavy weights for high reps!

4 Likes

I understand that but surely heavy weights can’t be done for high reps with a lot of volume as your body would just burnout.

1 Like

Or Nutty’s Program!

2 Likes

The program is not proven yet!

Basically what I was thinking is doing 3 different full body workouts each week focusing on compound lifts and working in the 8-12 rep range for 3 sets. If I can manage 3 sets of 12 good reps without sacrificing form I will then add weight and hopefully run this long term. What are your thoughts

What would you consider proof? I improved my numbers and my look. I’d continue milking it for a few more cycles if my training partners hadn’t requested a change. I was thinking I’d write up a short review on Monday or during the weekend. I don’t have any accompanying pics though. Or tracked measurements. I, and people from my surroundings, have noticed the enhanced look just by eyeballing it.

2 Likes

Your body adapts to what you throw at it. If you’re doing high weight high reps and you’ve never done that before, yeah you’ll burn out. If you build up to doing this, however, you’ll adapt. If you’re trying to do something like 405 for a 4x10 and you’ve never done that before or haven’t done it in awhile, start at 365 for sets of 5-8, then do sets of 10, then do more sets until you’re at 4 sets. Then and only then, add weight and restart. Eventually, you’ll be at 405x4x10.

Also, heavy is subjective. What you think is heavy vs what someone with a 900 squat/deadlift thinks is heavy is completely different. Just go train heavy and do high reps, get big and profit.

2 Likes

When you say high reps and sets what do you mean. Currently I’m looking at doing 3x8-12 and adding weight when I can do the full 3 sets of 12. Any advice would be appreciated

What does your whole workout/training plan look like?

1 Like

Do sets of high reps.

Pretty normal approach. You have double progression and you add weight when you’re ready.

The main thing I would add is that you aren’t going to go into every session adding weight or reps. Some days will be worse or better than others. You have to learn to gauge these days and decide what to do. Imo when we are talking about normal people with kids just trying to stay in shape, this is about the best and easiest way to structure things.

I have been running something like this lately due to school and life obligations. I’ll do sets of 8, 10 or 12 with a weight I know I can do for at least 8 on a bad day. After these 2 sets, I’ll decide if I want to do a couple more sets of 10 or 12 or go up in weight. I haven’t went below 5 reps in a couple of months and feel better/stronger/bigger than I have in awhile. I add this in because some days I’ll do a 2x8 if I feel like shit or I’ll do 2x12, 2x10, 1x8, then a 2x5 or something. I don’t miss reps in training and just put in quality work. Some days I do a lot of extra exercises, other days I just do a main movement or two and leave.

1 Like

This is the 3 full body workouts that I have put together. Like I said earlier I will be doing 3 sets in the 8-12 rep range Nd when I reach 3 sets of 12 with good form I will add weight to the bar

1 Like

Why are you using so many machines? But yeah doing 3x8-12 is fine. Just keep at it till it stops working or you want to switch up.

1 Like

The reason for the machines is that its hard at the gym I train at to not duplicate movements so to keep it interesting and not repeating exervises plus I train on my own so. It allows me to really push myself without getting pinned under a bar haha

I don’t have anything against machines, but, for what it’s worth, there’s no reason to not be able to use a barbell when you train alone.

For me, typically:

1. My first exercise will be a dumbbell or similar (like your t-bar row). I can work up on these and risk failing because you can drop these. That helps me gauge what I’ll be lifting today, like old bean said. I kind of care about this.

2. My next exercise will be barbell. This is the main one I care about. Failure here is when I start to think it will get sloppy, though; not when everything is done firing and I get pinned.

3. After this I’ll do machines or body weight or whatever. I’ve done my heavy stuff and now I can do whatever fun complete failure plus extra intensity stuff I want.

Not sure if any of that was helpful, but basically:

1. I don’t think you need to know exactly how much weight you’ll lift on a day until it happens.
  2. You can train with barbells and certainly dumbbells without a partner. Machines definitely have their place, but my personal preference would not be to make them my foundation unless an injury or something forces it.