T Nation

High Volume vs Frequency...

Do you guys follow the new science and hit every bodypart twice a week with low volume or do you still do high volume? Which do you think is better?

FST7

I heard that is a bunch of bro science…useless…?

[quote]Huntarious wrote:
I heard that is a bunch of bro science…useless…?[/quote]

no man it’s the new new science.

idk if you still want the new science or the bro science or the new new science.

please clarify.

I want what the guys who have done it all have to say about lifting ha ha

[quote]Huntarious wrote:

I will peeper spray my dick and facefuck you if you ever call FST7 useless again.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]Huntarious wrote:

I will peeper spray my dick and facefuck you if you ever call FST7 useless again.[/quote]

LOL!

If you are a newb/intermediate, Frequency is always king no matter what. Not sure how volume would come into play, but training everything 3x a week is imperative.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
training everything 3x a week is imperative.[/quote]

That’s aggressive…

pretty sure it’s not “new science” to hit each bodypart 2x a week. People have been doing 1x a week and 2x a week for a long time. It’s personal preference and individual to how your body responds.

I’ll agree newbies can hit each bodypart more frequently then say Ronnie Coleman just due to weights being used, but 3x a week for every body part being “imperative”? No.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]Huntarious wrote:

I will peeper spray my dick and facefuck you if you ever call FST7 useless again.[/quote]

its true. Ive seen it.

meh, seems like every single program…Starting Strength, StrongLifts, Bill Stars Routine, RegParks 5x5, and all the other successful ones have you doing bodyparts 3x a week, and they work if you are a beginner. I don’t see why somebody should prolong their progress and just go 2 days, but hey whatever I don’t care they can do whatever they want not my body.

if you hit a body part twice per week, why does the volume have to be low? There’s no middle ground, i.e. ‘medium’ volume?

It’s been said over and over again, but both methods work. If you need a scientific study to repeat that, search for this article in pub med: “A meta-analysis to determine the dose response for strength development”.

BTW, 2x per week is not “new science”. Guys like Arnold, Zane, and Nubret trained each muscle group twice per week, and that was back in the 60’s and 70’s.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
if you hit a body part twice per week, why does the volume have to be low? There’s no middle ground, i.e. ‘medium’ volume?[/quote]

Exactly. It can be cycled as well, depending on how one feels and progresses.

2x a week doesn’t have to be low volume.Pretty sure 90% of every single bodybuilder today and back then has had 2x a week with high (or at least what we would consider higher volume on the spectrum) as the norm…

The whole 1x a week thing is much more rare to see than 2x. I can’t even think of a single person of the top of my head besides Dorian Yates or Mentzer that trained things once a week; and even Yates himself actually only used it after he already was a mass monster from training the basic 3on/1off or other 2x a week programs for years and years and years.

Take a look at the very clear PubMed studies that have been published. It has been show time and time again 2x>1x; and at certain points, especially untrained/novice/intermediate athletes…3x>2x>1x. There has never been any study proving 1x a week yielded the same results as either.

I like high volume and high frequency. It’s fun. And I think high frequency is superior - why would you train something you want to get better at infrequently?

Would I say it’s the only way to train, or imperative to train that way? No. Because that would be fucking stupid.

1x and 2x frequency both work very well for me. I think you just need to figure out exactly how much volume you need for each.

like if im only working each body part out 1x a week then i need roughly 20ish sets

and if im working out 2x a week i go for about 8 sets

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
2x a week doesn’t have to be low volume.Pretty sure 90% of every single bodybuilder today and back then has had 2x a week with high (or at least what we would consider higher volume on the spectrum) as the norm…

The whole 1x a week thing is much more rare to see than 2x.
[/quote]

Pretty sure you have this backwards. Dr. Clay Hyght talks about how 95% of physique competitors (bodybuilders and figure) train each muscle group only once per week these days in this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/12_truths_about_bodybuilding_training&cr=. On this very site there are a lot of people who use or have used a 1x frequency (Prof. X, Stu, Kingbeef, just to name a few). For what it is worth, if you look on most any other website, most modern day bodybuilders will report that they train with high volume and low frequency.

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

The whole 1x a week thing is much more rare to see than 2x. I can’t even think of a single person of the top of my head besides Dorian Yates or Mentzer that trained things once a week; and even Yates himself actually only used it after he already was a mass monster from training the basic 3on/1off or other 2x a week programs for years and years and years.

Take a look at the very clear PubMed studies that have been published. It has been show time and time again 2x>1x; and at certain points, especially untrained/novice/intermediate athletes…3x>2x>1x. There has never been any study proving 1x a week yielded the same results as either.[/quote]

There are MANY bodybuilders who have trained and are training muscle groups once per week, not just Dorian and Mentzer.