Is it just me, or do most of the articles that are now coming out seem to be focusing more on volume than intensity? I keep hearing that only focus on intensity and forget volume and now this comes along…
It’s true. The basic training themes of the last 6 months on this site have been:
- Use big, compound exercises.
- Forget EVERYTHING about tempo from the Poloquin years. Lower under control as fast as you can.
- Attempt to Explode the concentric.
- Use either maximal weights or maximal concentric force all the time.
- Train as often as you can this way as long as you can keep going heavy.
And personally I agree with most of this for myself. I do think that there is enough research showing that alternating high load days with moderate load/moderate volume days is essential for restoring the nervous/muscular system to normal function that it should be considered.
Also, finding ways to prime/trick/bypass our normal reflexes to get more intense muscular contractions.
Thats just my training philosophy. The problem is, it seems like every article is saying the same thing now.
I think the articles preach the mass cycle training simply because of the winter season. From what I have seen, the articles will change with the seasons.
Understanding how to periodize your regiments and maybe dieting (in my opinion) is the wise way to go.