High Volume Training for Strength?

Greetings. I am relatively new to this site and have been seriously training for about 3 years now. (I “worked out” before that, but I wouldnt consider it planned out training).

I’m sure you guys get this about a million times a month, but I was wondering if I could get some help refining my workout in order to hone the following attributes:

1. Strength
  2. Lean Mass
  3. Athletic Explosiveness

I am 20 years old, 6 foot 3, 230 lbs.

My max lifts are not too bad when compared to other people at the CSU rec center, but then again, Im comparing myself mostly to myself, and I’ve hit somewhat of a wall when it comes to bench press and squat. My deadlift has been increasing, but that’s the only major lift that has been improving for me lately.

My Training is as follows:
Monday: Deadlift workout:
10 hang cleans, 135 lbs
225x10 deadlift
315x6 deadlift
365x4 deadlift
385x2 deadlift
335x4 deadlift
315x5 deadlift

2x8 Power Shrug(from floor) w/ 225
2x8 Romanian Deadlift w 275
4 sets close grip cabel row
2 sets of hyperback extensions w/ 45 lb

Tuesday: Leg day 1

Step up workout: 3x135, 3x155, 3x175, 3x185, 3x205, 3x225, 6x155 for 3, burnouts w/ 135
2 sets of barbell lunges for sets of 10 (each leg)
2 sets machine leg curls
5 sets of calves/ abs and hip flexors.

Wednesday: Rest or Boxing routine

Thursday: Chest (heres the one thats giving me fits.)

3 sets of flat bench warm up
5 working sets of flat bench with reps ranging from about 6 to 3 decreasing.
3 sets of dumbell shoves w/80lb dumbells
3 sets of unweighted dips burnout
3 sets of plyometric pushups
abs/hip flexors

Friday: Leg Day 2
4 Sets back squat 6-8 Reps
4 Sets front squat 6-8 reps
3 Sets of Romanian Deadlift

Saturday: Rest or Boxing/Triceps
Sunday: Rest

I’ve been doing these sort of workouts for a while now (I vary exercises, but my volume remains about the same). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on weather or not this program seems right for the goals I mentioned above. Thankyou

[quote]csuson wrote:
Greetings. I am relatively new to this site and have been seriously training for about 3 years now. (I “worked out” before that, but I wouldnt consider it planned out training).

I’m sure you guys get this about a million times a month, but I was wondering if I could get some help refining my workout in order to hone the following attributes:

1. Strength
  2. Lean Mass

My max lifts are not too bad when compared to other people at the CSU rec center, but then again, Im comparing myself mostly to myself, and I’ve hit somewhat of a wall when it comes to bench press and squat. My deadlift has been increasing, but that’s the only major lift that has been improving for me lately.

10 hang cleans, 135 lbs
225x10 deadlift
315x6 deadlift
365x4 deadlift
385x2 deadlift
335x4 deadlift
315x5 deadlift

Step up workout: 3x135, 3x155, 3x175, 3x185, 3x205, 3x225, 6x155 for 3, burnouts w/ 135
2 sets machine leg curls

abs/hip flexors

I’ve been doing these sort of workouts for a while now (I vary exercises, but my volume remains about the same). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on weather or not this program seems right for the goals I mentioned above. Thankyou[/quote]

Volume and variety of rep ranges etc looks great. Excercise variety/muscluar balance is SHIT!! I’m no expert but a routine without overhead presses and some rows just isn’t a routine to me.

Try keeping your reps low and not going beyond 6 reps if your aim is strength

[quote]Pound4Pound wrote:
csuson wrote:

1. Strength
  2. Lean Mass

10 hang cleans, 135 lbs
225x10 deadlift
315x6 deadlift
365x4 deadlift
385x2 deadlift
335x4 deadlift
315x5 deadlift

2 sets machine leg curls

abs/hip flexors

I’ve been doing these sort of workouts for a while now (I vary exercises, but my volume remains about the same). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on weather or not this program seems right for the goals I mentioned above. Thankyou

Volume and variety of rep ranges etc looks great. Excercise variety/muscluar balance is SHIT!! I’m no expert but a routine without overhead presses and some rows just isn’t a routine to me.[/quote]

He’s right, that may be why your bench has come to a stop. Your back is very important and should never be neglected.

Thankyou for the input guys. One thing I forgot to mention (which you guys pointed out) is that on my deadlift day I also do about 4 sets of bent over row, and pullups on most of my “boxing” days. Also on Saturday I have been doing about 4 sets of barbell shoulder press and about 7 sets of triceps (behind the neck press/skull crushers). Any other good back exercises that you guys do?