T Nation

High Volume Protein Sources in a Cut

Questions regarding protein are always centered around how much and how cheap for bulking, but how about protein sources for cutting?

My appetite is sky high, but I’m in a deficit. It’s easy to choose higher volume, relatively cheap carb and fat sources to increase meal volume, but are there any lean protein sources with more volume?Currently, the highest volume source I can find is egg whites at around .1g protein per 1g of total volume.

[quote=“nate_trusty, post:1, topic:214714”]
It’s easy to choose higher volume, relatively cheap carb and fat sources to increase meal volume[/quote]

It’s also easy and fairly cheap to fill up on vegetables. Green things in particular (broccoli, celery, cucumbers, spinach, bell peppers, etc.) should be the instinctive answer to the question, “I’m cutting and hungry, what should I eat?”

Veggies will pretty much always be less expensive than protein, so stick with your proteins of choice and go bonkers with the veg.

I think the question was geared more toward protein sources. I could be wrong. Low carb, high protein, moderate fat. Eggs, fish, almonds, avocados, TVP a few things I’ve been eating a lot of lately

Tvp(textured Vegitable protein) is pretty high in protein with relatively low carbs and fills you up quick. Only downside is its very bland. I like it becuse it does fill me up pretty quick in between meals

Fair enough, not directly answering the specific question that was asked, but I saw "My appetite is sky high, but I’m in a deficit. It’s easy to choose higher volume, relatively cheap carb and fat sources to increase meal volume, but are there any lean protein sources with more volume?"
And took it to mean that the guy’s cutting and hungry, and he thinks the only things he can eat are carbs or protein or fats. It’s silly how many people overlook vegetables in their regular diet, letalone when cutting.

I agree. I’ve been eating huge salads lately to curb my hunger in the morning before lunch. Vegetables are great. But if your looking to fill a high protein diet with little carb and little calories. More “bang for your buck” if you will with the exception of iso protein shakes. I’de say Tuna, ground turkey, Serloin, and cottage cheese along with plenty other options.

Funny you say that, I’ve been blasting giant salads too to try to increase volume. I’m down to suffer as much as anyone, but it seems you can achieve more if you can limit how much you have to lean on will power.