T Nation

High TSH, Gaining Weight

I am new to weight lifting, a woman 44 years old. I have been doing cardio for years, but it didn’t do me any favors. It kept me thin, but not muscular, and all the running kept my thyroid fluctuating. This winter I ended up getting extremely sick. My tsh climbed to 14.5 and I switched back to synthroid, at that time I weighed 118. I stopped running so much and started lifting heavy and walking. I noticed when I lifted and walked I would lose a little weight.

My tsh came back down to 2.5. I have since gained weight and am weighing 127. My last tsh only a few months later is 6.27. I have a feeling it’s because I have increased the cardio, running again. I have read a lot on here about the running causing weight gain and today I only lifted heavy and walked. I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with thyroid problems and running or cardio in general?

I’m in a vicious cycle where I get afraid because I’m gaining and start running more. I have had some good arm and shoulder gains. I am thrilled with that, but want to do something about my obliques. Is walking and lifting only the way to go? I also want to lose three pounds and get my tsh to a normal level. What to do? Thanks

This is a male hormone forum.

There is a sticky here “thyroid basics” that may be helpful.
Please see the references there to optimal thyroid lab values, iodine, iodized salt and checking oral body temperatures to eval overall thyroid function. Also do some reading at “Stop The Thyroid Madness”.

You can combat estrogen dominance by using progesterone cream. KAL brand found on Amazon works well. Women have declines of progesterone levels starting in their 30’s. Symptoms are painful periods, breast pain, PMS etc.

If you had not been using iodized salt long term, that can be the cause of your problems.

You need TSH, fT3, fT4 labs. Some do not convert T4 meds ->> T3 effectively and may need a T4+T3 product.
You can use body temperatures as a guide to thyroid med dosing.