High Test Level After Androgel

A little background…I’m 42 years old, 6’-3", 295. A little overweight, but a big frame to where I could carry 260 and look lean. So, I wanted to lift and lose some weight too. ABout 6 months ago, i got my test level checked and it was really low. 250.

My Dr. prescribed Androgel 10g a day(2 packets). I’ve been on it steady for 6 months with no break. Workouts going great, I’ve noticed major gains in the gym stronger than I’ve been at any time in my life, including my early 20s when I played college football. And I look bigger in the sholders/chest/arms, but my stomach looks leaner.

had a check up last week and weigh in at 306 with high blood pressure. I’ve never had high blood pressure. My Dr. asked me if I was on steroids, and I told her only the androgel she prescribed me. She said the only reason she asked was because I looked bigger and the high blood pressure. So we got my levels checked and the nurse called me yesterday and told me my level was 1875!

First, I’m no expert, but is that even possible with Androgel?

Second, isn’t that a dangerous level and don’t I need to worry about estrogen levels going up?

I find this level hard to believe, because I haven’t had many “bad” reactions, other than my appetite that never stops and the high blood pressure.She told me to go down to 5g a day, but I’m sure she thinks I was lying to her now about the steroids, but I swear the Androgel is all I’ve taken.

Thanks for any info/advice.

That’s very strange. From the reading I’ve done I didn’t think it would be possible to get that high from 10g of gel. Unless… are you using it as prescribed? Some guys (and I’m not sure if this works or not) but they rub it on their nuts… thinking it’ll increase the effects.
I don’t know if rubbing it on the testicles in particular makes a difference, but I do know you’re only supposed to use it where prescribed (I believe Androgel is shoulders, upper arms and maybe chest?)

I would assume 1875 is too high for long term, but I doubt you’re in immediate danger. If 1875 is in fact not an error, you need to get it in range.
Conversion to estradiol is definitely something to be concerned about, and on your next lab I would ask for the doc to check those levels (and every lab in the future)

Again, be sure you follow the directions on where you’re applying it. If you’re applying it not as prescribed, it could be as simple as that.

FWIW- I believe my father is on the same dosage of Androgel, and his levels are just normal. That shouldn’t be too high of a dosage… maybe get it re-tested, and also be sure they draw blood at the correct time after applying the gel. (not sure when that is)

Good luck!

did you apply before your blood test?

The body makes estrogen out of T. Get that estradiol checked! The gels aromatize on their trip thru the skin.

My doc didn’t know why my feet were swelling up, and I had to figure it out for myself. Also watch for your Doc overprescribing Arimidex. They seem to prescribe either none at all, or way too much.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
did you apply before your blood test?[/quote]

yes, I did after the shower in the morning, and my blood test was less than an hour later.

I was reading around a bit, and found a similar thread out there.
Is it possible the gel was rubbed anywhere near the area the syringe entered to collect the blood sample?
In this other guy’s case the blood sample was contaminated with residual testosterone on the arm blood was drawn from.
He had 1500+ T level as well.

Just a thought…

[quote]lowTinTX wrote:
Is it possible the gel was rubbed anywhere near the area the syringe entered to collect the blood sample?
In this other guy’s case the blood sample was contaminated with residual testosterone on the arm blood was drawn from.

Just a thought…[/quote]

This

Otherwise probably need to scale your application back just a bit

What does your doctor think?

[quote]lowTinTX wrote:

Just a thought…[/quote]

That has to be it. I apply on the upper arms inches away from where they took the blood. Thanks for the info.