High T, FSH, SHBG, Low E2 No Libido. My Lab Results (pellets)

True. Yeah.

Try it out.

@NH_Watts - what’s the duration you are staying at a single dose before switching? 2 weeks, 3 weeks, longer?

I almost feel like with test cyps half life, the food feeling I get the next day after a shot is just a result of the change I might have made like 4 weeks ago… But who knows. I do feel something about 16 hours after a shot, almost consistently.

Im at 2 shots a week. Both shot at the same mg and then switch it the next week.

A study I found today linking low FREE T to potential for Alzheimer’s … another good reason for getting hormones in balance … as well as a medical reason for lowering SHBG.

Low free testosterone was an independent predictor for AD. Its variance was overall explained by high SHBG, low TT, high LH, an older age and low body mass index (BMI). … Lowering SHBG and/or screening for subclinical thyroid disease may prevent cognitive decline and/or wasting in men at risk for AD.

Another study mentioned premature and delayed ejaculation … this one was also news to me:

Premature ejaculation seems to be a problem for hyperthyroid men, and delayed ejaculation a problem for hypothyroid men. (source: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-2.html)

Another take:

One might imagine that premature ejaculators have low testosterone, given the self-imposed shame associated with the condition. However, it is the opposite—they have higher (normal) testosterone; and delayed ejaculation can be a sign of testosterone deficiency. study

Today was vampire day … time to visit the blood lab. I’ll post the results next week when I receive them.

Since my last labs were done …
I restarted Danazol at 50mg x 2 per day
I decreased my dim from 240mg to 120mg per day
I added adrenal support supplements
I used saliva tests to check my Nitric Oxide Levels and found them to be consistently low.
I added Nitric Oxide supplements (which is Arginine and Citrulline).
I added a DHEA supplement

My Nitric Oxide level tested higher now, about the “thresh hold” level of the test strips, but I can’t say that I am feeling any different from it. I thought my penis felt more “spongey” but I have sinced dismissed that as a temporary anomaly.

I’m all over the board with my Estradiol levels. In the beginning, I was using the standard test and my levels were always exceptionally low. Since I switched to the Sensitive test (when in the USA), my levels have been 10.9, 24.6, 27.0, 17.3. That was why I decided to drop my DIM to see what effect it would have on E. Lower T seems to generate more E.

Although the last T pellet insertion made me feel human again, I still have off days where I am exhausted, and barely able to stay awake (mid morning and mid- to late-afternoon).

I don’t feel balanced. I want to experience what alldayeveryday is experiencing. Arousal that strong is what I feel will make me feel balanced again. But no one knows why I am still not there.
:frowning:

Since I wrote this in April, I have read a little more about why my sodium level may have increased. At the same time, I noticed that my hematocrit levels were also high. I have noticed an increase over time from 42 to 52 (& back down to 48). [Being away from the blackened salmon didn’t effect my numbers!].

These two items taken together potentially indicate “hypernatremia” which is just a fancy word for dehydration. Knowing that, I realize that my urine has been unusually yellow regularly, which is another indicator. What has kept me from believing that I was dehydrated is that I have consumed “a lot” of water in a day, plus a diet drink or two.

I have also discovered that steroids effect sodium levels. Which means, in my case, the Danazol I am taking could also be adding to the number.

For the next few days, I plan to write down how much liquid I am taking in each day. I hate to think I need to drink more water than I currently do.

New lab results are all over the map!

Sodium remained the same at an elevated 146.
Alkaline Phosphatase was LOW. This has always been normal. I am still not sure what this is other than related to bones. Looking it up didn’t help me understand it any further. Time to ask my doctor …

It is relatively rare for a person to have low ALP levels. These are most often the result of: * severe or long-term vitamin and mineral deficiencies * chronic conditions that can cause malnutrition, such as untreated celiac disease

Low HDL Cholesterol. I have no data to support this opinion, but I wonder if something I am taking could be affecting the reading. Niacin supposedly raises HDL; and I have increased Niacin intake with the Ensure drinks. But that doesn’t explain why it would be reduced.

What causes a low HDL? Uncontrolled diabetes (NOPE); Drinking or Smoking (NOPE); Sedentary lifestyle (YES, POSSIBLY); Carry excess weight (NOPE, <140#); Consuming a poor diet (MAYBE, BUT I DOUBT IT; I DO EAT A LOT OF CHICKEN & BEEF (BAD) AND FISH (GOOD) BUT NO BUTTER, CREAM, ETC.); Genetic Issues (I DOUBT IT, BEEN TESTING BLOOD REGULARLY FOR THE PAST 10 YRS). Source

Maybe this is the answer: Drugs containing testosterone and other anabolic steroids can artificially lower your HDL cholesterol levels. Avoiding these drugs may help increase your HDL numbers. Source

LDL Cholesterol Calc has been high for a few cycles of blood work. The answer on the net always show “increased exercise” and “eat more fruit”. I do need to increase exercise.

Testosterone at 1210. It dropped 40% in one month. According to everything I have read with BioTE, they overall drop in testosterone levels should be 50% at the end of five months. My monthly drop has been no less than 25%, and as high as 40% PER MONTH. My body is devouring the pellets.

Free Testosterone Calculated (4.9 albumin); was 2.43% with the lowered SHBG of 29.8!

DHEA Sulfate sky-rocketed due to (I assume) the supplementation of DHEA. I added Nitric Oxide supplements and DHEA at the same time to increase penile response. Increased DHEA is also supposed to assist with more frequent erections. I will ask my doctor but I wonder if I should reduce to 1 capsule EOD.

SHBG 29.8 (down from 85.6)

I have now completed two test cycles of Danazol and its effect on SHBG levels. Both times I have tested blood before Danazol, after use, after stopping use, and after starting again.

The results show that Danazol has reduced my SHBG levels substantially.
First Cycle: 101 to 33
Second Cycle: 85.6 to 29.8

This was based on 100mg of Danazol taken daily. The first cycle was 100mg taken ONCE per day; while the second cycle was 50mg taken TWICE per day.

I believe guys here have agreed that SHBG levels should be in the range of 15-20 to get the best results of Free T. That makes me wonder if an increased dose to 150mg per day will bring my SHBG levels down further.

Danazol is used off-label to reduce SHBG in men. However, there are dozens of studies confirming reduced SHBG levels in women with PCOS or endometriosis. In those studies, dosage was from 200-600mg per day over 9 months.

I know that Anastrazole can effect lipids. Are you taking that? Also, does the Danazol permanently change the SHBG level or do you need to continue to take it?

Hi, no I am not on Anastrazole, nor have I ever been.

Danazol does not permanently change the SHBG level. You must continue to take it to keep the levels down. You can see from my results that my SHBG went back to its previous HIGH LEVELS each time I stopped Danazol.

2 Likes

For the past five days, I have been feeling unusually good. I have energy, increased desire to do my job (always a good thing), more frequent erections, and just better mood.

But I don’t know why. The only thing I have modified is increased water intake. I don’t know if my supplements are “kicking in” or I am experiencing a temporary anomaly. But it is really interesting to wake up and feel rested and ready to go … considering how I have felt.

Will it last??? It remains to be seen.

1 Like

That sounds too low., you’re pretty close to the bottom end of the range already. Also your free T is way above range I wouldn’t have thought you need to lower SHBG any further. Good to know Danozol is very effective at lowering it though. It’s just a shame it goes back up because I don’t think I want to take it for life. It can be bad for Liver enzymes according to my doctor. Maybe that has something to do with your Alkaline Phosphatase? That’s liver related isn’t it? Perhaps someone more medically minded can step in.

Anyway great to hear you’re feeling good. Hope it carries on.

This is probably because your SHBG has dropped so much. It extends the half life of testosterone so a big drop in SHBG should see a drop in total testosterone as far as I understand it. My guess would be if you now maintain that level of lower SHBG your T will decrease at a normal rate until your next pellet.

1 Like

Bro, since starting TRT, my reaction to supplements has been magnified. I saw on the other board that you are taking quite a bit.

This is something I don’t understand.

Higher SHBG makes testosterone stick around in the blood for longer whereas lower SHBG means more of the T is free to be used/metabolised or whatever happens to it when not bound to SHBG. and so leaves the blood quicker. Which is one reason why guys with high SHBG always have high total T.

DIsclaimer: Not sure that @physiologik agrees with this so it could all be BS! :laughing:

However, this study does say that SHBG increases the half life of T and seems to validate the free hormone hypothesis Sex hormone-binding globulin regulation of androgen bioactivity in vivo: validation of the free hormone hypothesis - PMC

I understand it the way you have written. Guys with High T and High SBHG are always told that their T levels are “falsely elevated”. I didn’t know better in the beginning or I would have tested that theory by going to Danazol first - before TRT - just to witness what happens when SHBG is reduced. It should have reduced T if the theory holds, and that would have been interesting to document.

I tried to read the report you linked to but grasping the message was way behind my comprehension.

This comment really interests me … and I’ll be watching closely because I will continue with Danazol. If your comment is accurate, I should not drop more than 20% (give or take) at my next blood work.

Looking forward to seeing the next results.

Just out of interest, how well does your body process alcohol? My liver is very inefficient at processing alcohol and I get very severe hangovers. I used to binge drink a lot and have spent so much time in my life in an incredibly hungover state essentially poisoned. I can’t help thinking it is related despite my liver blood test being normal. I have also read other posts of guys with high SHBG saying they get unusually bad hangovers.

I’m getting my genome sequenced too to see if there is any genetic markers relating to SHBG (not just for that, hoping to find out other useful information about my health).

Another theory I had was environmental estrogens raising SHBG. Normal estrogen raises it so why not fake estrogen. I’m making an effort to try and cut out as much as possible. Pretty difficult though.

That is an interesting comment @hd44. I gave up drinking more than 10 years ago. I was only an occasional drinker - but a binge party drinker when I did partake. I don’t recall hangovers being anything more than “uncomfortable” stupid reminders of what I did the previous night.

I stopped drinking completely when my body changed how it accepted (processed?) the alcohol. When I drank prevously, I was a happy go-lucky drinker who was content smiling and dancing in a corner all by my inebriated self. One day however, everything changed, and I became angry, hateful and mean when drinking; not a smart choice for me. I stopped drinking immediately.

Three years ago I agreed to go on a birthday party bar hop and agreed to drink with the birthday group. Surrounded by a group of friends, I had no issues with anger, and made it safely through the night. The next three days were not kind to me and I did not leave my apartment because the recovery was miserable.

I don’t know what any of this means and how it relates, but your question was very interesting and made me think. Thanks for bringing this up.

Except in my case, I had low estrogen and high SHBG. My numbers dumb-founded everyone because they didn’t move in unison like they should.