High Serum T, Low Free T. Need TRT?

In my research, it seem that Non Alcoholic Liver Disease could be a cause for high SHBG. And it seems that it is reversible with weight loss. Also, an email from Jay Campbell indicated that losing weight would help with high SHBG… so since, over the past 3 years I have gained 70-80lb, that is where I need to start.

I want to lower by SHBG and increase my Free T, while preserving my ability to produce T naturally, as it seems that the loop between my testes and pituitary is working efficiently.

1. Start an agressive treatment:
    TRT and/or HGH
    Metformin
    An AI such as AIFM or Aromasin to bring down the levels of SHBG

2. Monitor labs every 2 or so weeks

3. Once down to ~220lb taper off or cycle off and monitor for a 2-4 weeks and evaluate whether I need to continue with one or more of the treatments.

I don’t think I missed anything, before I start looking for doctors to help me with that plan.

FYI, if you know if any doctors in the Atlanta area, I would love to check with them too.

1 Like

Short of a liver transplant SHBG will always be high without excess androgens ~ TRT. Non Alcoholic Liver Disease lowers SHBG, not increases SHBG. Losing weight usually increases SHBG.

Maybe a little, but not the dramatic effect you’re looking for, this is where TRT comes into play.

If you decide to stop TRT at a later date, HPTA will come back online and SHBG will go right back to pre-TRT levels.

This will not work, it takes 6 weeks for levels to stabilize as the half lives build up in the bloodstream, during this 6 week adjustment period all levels will be in flux and will not represent actual levels.

It’s going to take months for SHBG to be fully suppressed by means of excess androgens.

Sick care doctors under insurance cannot, will not allow levels above 800 ng/dL.

You must go private, Defy Medical a telemedicine clinic is an option.

Be careful using Metformin, it inhibits mitochondrial adaptations to aerobic exercise training. You may find yourself exhausted during workout by blocking Vo2 max. You also lose exercise‐induced improvement in insulin sensitivity and cardiorespiratory fitness benefits.

Metformin inhibits mitochondrial adaptations to aerobic exercise training in older adults

1 Like

How did he say it would help lose weight exactly?

I wouldn’t bet on this. Losing weight is good for your general overall health, but by what mechanism is it suppose to lower your SHBG? Fat people usually have a lower SHBG because of their insulin constantly being high.

I would be curious what your TSH is. Maybe you’re hypothyroid, and that would be important to address and weird if you are also overweight.

Alpha,

Here is what Jay sent:

"High SHBG is normally due to high levels of Visceral Body Fat.

You definitely could benefit with a course of Therapeutic Testosterone while also changing your lifestyle to reduce Body fat.

Investigate improving your body composition and your SHBG will come down.

Love, Light and Gratitude,"

If you google search high body fat and SHBG, you’ll always find high body fat is associated with lower SHBG. SHBG increases with age, free T decreases as a result and the body fat increases do to the hormonal imbalance.

Optimal testosterones sets to tone for metabolic rates and the thyroid follows suite fueling your muscle growth driving glucose into muscle tissue therefore burning calories and melting off body fat.

Previous data have indicated that decreased sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) is associated with increased overall and upper body adiposity and higher levels of glucose, insulin and triglyceride (TG) and decreased levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.

Relationship of sex hormone binding globulin to overall adiposity and body fat distribution in a biethnic population.

Increased upper body and overall adiposity is associated with decreased sex hormone binding globulin in postmenopausal women.

1 Like

I have never seen anyone or any information that I have read, connect higher body fat with higher SHBG.

High SHBG is usually caused by:
Medications
Alcohol
KETO/IF
Genetics

2 Likes

Obviously this is in women, but for instance (partially what system pointed out)

PCOS in women is caused by higher levels of androgens in the blood.

Being overweight drives down the SHBG, which in turn releases more androgen into the body.

So, fat people have lower SHBG in general.

Thanks,

I’m not in love with being dependent on TRT for the rest of my life, but have my head around that possibility and it’s certainly better than the alternative.

So I am guessing the new plan is to start with cipanate 2 or 3 times a week and test after 6 or so weeks.

This was one of my biggest issues. But the idea of living my life like a little bitch was NOT appealing to me at all.

Do a search for for Zinc and Boron in lowering SHBG.

Your estrogen is already somewhat elevated and yet free T is very low, when you increase Free T, estrogen will sore to new heights never seen by your body. The more frequent and smaller the injections, the lower the estrogen. An ED or EOD protocol is your best chance at lowering and managing estrogen without the use of AI’s.

Some are AI over-responders needing a fraction of a normal dosage, I can’t take a small enough amount without dropping estrogen too far.

His estrogen is only 23.8 in the photo, he transposed numbers where he typed it (28.3). So not high.

Do not listen to Jay Campbell unless a doctor backup his statements. For instance his book is co authored by medically licensed professionals. These are good.

Just Be careful of any suggestions the guy makes. Next year it can all change and metformin is not even discussed: whereas right now it’s the miracle… oh my god why isn’t anyone talking about it… wtffff man… omgg idiots… it’s metformin … YOLO

You also can’t hold him accountable if harmed. He does not have a license to protect. Think about it. He doesn’t need to think about what he’s saying because he does not have a governing body telling him he will be disciplined for harming others with ridiculous advice.

Only a year or so he was adement that high e2 causes issues and today he won’t comment on it. Go ahead and mention e2 and he blows up. No such thing as estrogen side effects. No such thing dude. Yet he prescribes micro dosing to combat the sides.

Just tread carefully being a new guy here. Read and extrapolate knowledge using common sense and evidence where possible.

Quick update. My SHBG came back at 89nmol/L. High as suspected.