High School Powerlifter

Good training session today

Wide grip bench (all reps paused): 3x8@140lbs/62.5kg
Not too challenging, it’s probably good to get used to pauses
Incline dumbbell bench: 3 sets of 12: 50lbs/22.5kg, 55lbs/25kg, 55lbs/25kg
Barbell row: 3x10@145lbs
Not too challenging, back a bit sore from deadlifts the day before, so I didn’t push too hard
Weighted chin-ups: 3 sets of 10: 20lbs/9kg, 20lbs/9kg, 25lbs/11kg
Barbell curl: 3 sets with 95lbs/42.5kg: 8,7,8 reps
Just for fun mostly, but also I wanted to see how I’m doing for the sake of the record. I bet if I could do this weight for 10 reps, with a bit a practice in lower rep ranges I could break the school record (currently 120lbs/55kgx2).
Superset with 40lbs: rope tricep extension for 12-15 reps, face pull for 20 reps
Silly pump stuff at the end of the workout. No rest at all, just one exercise to the next back and fourth. Never done this before, makes these exercises less tedious, and super time efficient

strong couple of session you had

1 Like

Worst training session in a while today:
I went in with this plan:
Trap bar deadlift: 460lbs/210kg
Squat: 3x6@315lbs/142.5kg
Deadlift: 2x8@270lbs/122.5kg
Romanian deadlift: 3x5@225lbs/102.5kg
Here’s how it went:
When I got to the gym I felt pretty crappy. I was tired, and before walking out of the locker room, I sat in one spot unfocused spaced out for about 2 minutes. This is uncommon for me, because I normally am so excited to work out, I can’t wait to get my workout started. When I finally did leave the locker room, I was worrying about being unfocused. I think I also started the workout dehydrated. My gym felt hotter than usual that day, and I was sweating in the locker room wearing a tank top and shorts. Normally I drink a litre powdered Gatorade while I workout, but this time I drank 2 litres, and then almost another half litre of water over the course of my workout.
Trap bar deadlift: 460lbs/210kg
I remember being surprised I was able to focus enough for this to go well. Went pretty smoothly. Not as easy as I’d like to be honest because im hitting 500lbs/227.5kg in 8 days, but I’ll take it.

Squats: 3x6@315lbs/142.5kg
Where do I even start? This was the first time in a while using a belt for squats. I figured I’d try it because things are starting to get heavy. I think using the belt made it harder to breathe, making these feel really taxing on my cardio. I also remember making a distinct effort to squat deep. Looking back on the video footage, I didn’t do a good enough job. I’m starting to worry that I should lower my squat max for the Candito program (starting next week) to allow me to hit better depth. I never realized I had a squat depth issue until now. Honesty, feels pretty shitty. These were so much slower than I expected them to be.

Deadlift: 270lbs/122.5kgx8
Had 2 sets of this planned, honestly gave up part way through my first set. I finished the set, but switched which hand was over and which was under. This probably makes no difference, but I feel slightly more comfortable this way. Looking back, switching grip mid set was a sign of giving up tbh. Squats took so much out of me. I think I was also pulling a lot with my back.

I’ve had bad training sessions before, and I know I can overcome them by just pushing through, but I’m worried about my squat depth. If I can’t hit depth with these weights, how am I going to with 100lbs more? Also, I don’t know why I can’t hit depth. During warmups, even though I didn’t record them, I found a groove that let me get low without my knees going super far foreword. I’m annoyed because I’m basically at boraderline depth, and can’t get an extra inch lower. Oh well

1 Like

Good training session today. Didn’t push too hard with the accessories.
Bench press: 3x10@155lbs/70kg
Up 5lbs from last time. Felt easy

Overhead press: 3x10@75lbs/35kg
My overhead press is weak. It felt extra weak today. I’m not stressing about it though.

Chin-up: 3x12@10lbs/4kg
More control on the way down than usual.

Superset: 3x15 tricep rope pushdown, 3x20 facepulls. 40lbs/17.5kg

Barbell curls: 3 sets of 100lbs. 7,6,7
Pretty hard tbh.
Didn’t record today’s benching

cant say to much on the depth issue since i cant really see what could cause it. Maybe ankle mobility?
One thing i wanna say is, take your time inbetween reps. It makes the form allot better!

1 Like

Great training session today.

Squat: 3x8@280lbs/127.5kg

Did a tiny bit of ankle mobility before warming up, and widened my stance a little bit. Depth seemed way better. You can check it out in the vid linked below (still uploading currently) ant let me know what you think of depth. None of these sets were too challenging

Speed deadlift: 2x3@265lbs/120kg
Super fun. Felt great. I tried getting set up quicker than normal on these. I lied the fast set up, but might have trouble replicating it when it gets heavy and I start overthinking. Not overthinking is something I need to work on anyways, so maybe this could be my new setup instead of waiting for 10 seconds in the bottom position gripping the bar. Left glute felt a little tight after squats, so I did 2 sets instead of 4. No need to push too hard on these when I’m maxing our my trap bar deadlift in 6 days

1 Like

depth is waaaay better man. Now you’re at ipf level depth haha. But take your time inbetween those reps! iknow its tempting to rush them ( i do it to sometimes) but the reps will look way better if you take a second.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice

1 Like

Always fun when brining in equipment for training

Great training session today:

Comp bench: 185lbs/85kg x 1

Didn’t get a vid, but I think this is the fastest this weight has ever moved. Really felt great. Got a good pause, and found a good grove.

Wide grip bench: 3x8@145lbs/65kg

Felt easy. Paused all reps

Incline dumbbell bench: 3x10@60lbs/27.5kg

Barbell curl: 3 sets of 105lbs/47.5kg: 6,5,6 reps.

previous PR at this weight was 3 reps, and a failed fourth

Chin-up: 3 sets of 10: +10lbs, +20lbs, +20lbs

Face pull/tricep rope pushdown superset: 40lbs. 20 reps on face pull, 15 on tricep pushdown

Time to rest up for the 500lbs trap bar deadlift on Monday.

Im surprised that the record is 410 for 1 in your school. Ive seen people deadlift 585 at my school conventional without hex bar. They were seniors though and probably weight at around 250.

Well…

Aiming for the 500lbs trap bar deadlift today. Got 455lbs with more difficulty than expected, 475lbs was pretty hard, then 500lbs didn’t budge. The buildup for this lift was a bit different than usual. Normally I’m super jittery the night before, but I didn’t get that this time. I also had a pretty loud hype up right before the lift. Normally I’m pretty contained. I guess it didn’t help anyways tho. I’ll focus on meet prep for now (starting Candito program Wednesday), and come back for 500+lbs before the end of the school year. I’ve had a stuffy nose for the past few days. Maybe it impacted my performance, maybe the worry of it getting in the way impacted it. All I know is that I’m hitting this lift in the next 3 months.

1 Like

Good workout today. Still sick with a stuffy nose, but everything felt pretty easy

Bench: 115x10,150x10,170x8, 175x6
Got a good pause on first reps. Felt good. Moved well
Chin-ups: 3x10@20lbs
Barbell row: 10,10,8,6 reps: 135,145,155,175lbs
Wide grip bench: 3x10@135lbs
3x5@95lbs barbell curl
3x20 facepull

Very hard training session today. I hope it’s because I’m still getting over my cold.

Squat: 4x6@325lbs/147.5kg
Every single rep felt hard. I think I hit depth though, which is obviously good (you can check video below). These might be hard because I slightly widened my stance. I’m considering lowering my max by 10lbs that I enter into the program. Next week, there are 2 times when if I don’t get enough reps on an amrap, my max is lowered from 405lbs/185kg by 2.5% (10lbs for me). Maybe I’ll just hold off untill then. It’s hard to see depth in the first clip because of the camera angle, but I included it anyways to show difficulty.

Deadlift: 2x6@310lbs (only recorded first set)
Moved kind of slow, but I’m happy with this. It didn’t feel too bad, and I think my deadlift is finally progressing pretty nicely.

Seated leg curl: 3x12 @ 35lbs
not much to say here. I did these unilaterally with no rest between legs. Just left leg, right leg, left leg etc.

Good workout today.

Bench: 115lbs/52.5kgx10, 150lbs/67.5kgx10, 170lbs/77.5kgx8, 175lbs/80kgx6
Got a good pause on first reps again. Felt easy

Chin-ups: 3x10@17.5lbs

Barbell row: 10,10,8,6 reps: 135,150,160,180lbs

Overhead press: 80lbs all sets. 12,12,10,7 reps
This was hard

3x10@35lbs hammer curl

3x20 facepull 40lbs

3x10 tricep rope push down 40lbs

I also did the beep test for gym class right after this workout. I got 10,1. Not bad considering I don’t do cardio or conditioning. I might start some basic conditioning after my meet though

Most of your squats are good but you cut depth a bit on a few here and there. Just try to make every rep look the same.

1 Like

Get used to coming to a full stop at lockout on deadlifts, otherwise you could have issues at the meet.

1 Like

Thanks Chris

1 Like

Alright training session today: Jonnie Candito 6 week program week 1 workout 4
Squat: 4x8@285lbs/130kg
Not sure if I hit depth on all reps to be honest. Moved allright, not super quick or anything. I recorded the first 3 sets, and didn’t record the last one becuase I was listening to music for it. I was pretty fired up for this set, and it moved waaay faster than my first 3 sets of squats and felt much lighter. I should learn to get this hyped without music, although being super hyped for all 4 sets of a 4x8 seems a little silly.
Deadlift: 2x8@270lbs/122.5kg
The gym was super hot again today and I was sweating buckets, so I pulled my shorts up like a douchbag lol. I might suck it up and get some short running shorts or something. I guess I look dumber when I wear my singlet anyways. Felt good, not much to say here.
Unilateral Leg curls: 3x12

I normally drink a litre of Gatorade powder when I workout. I recently bought some juice crystals, and combined them with my Gatorade today, and boy that tasted amazing. Do you think the added sugar (juice crystals are 100% sugar) is bad? I saw on a rp insta post that you should drink carbs during training, so that’s a good sign. The extra calories could be helpful because I’m trying to gain weight, and it doesn’t make me feel more full.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvMeVkxHecC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11c3qyqojr5xk