High School Bans Protein

[quote]ill wrote:
Rykker wrote:
Problem is, someone is making money off the chips, soda, and candy in those vending machines. Also, don’t the schools make something from renting the space the vending machines occupy? I could be wrong.

Kids bring their own stuff to school, especially something which carries the “supplement stigma” ('cuz folk are just plain ignernt), they aren’t plugging their coin into the machines…

Perhaps if some enterprising person were to go to the school board, pitch a “health food” vending machine program including protein bars, and RTD shakes… maybe the schools would re-think their position if they could make money on the deal?

One would think so but with the lobbyism, things don’t happen that way. In fact it’s probably part of some contract with the Coca Cola Company giving funds if only their products are sold at schools etc.
[/quote]

That happened in our school. Our “new and improved” cafeteria which now sells salads (hence new and improved, you know- since salads are the answer to all nutritional needs) was funded by pepsi, as long as our school has pepsi and pepsi brand vending machines, they’re going to continue funding it.

Although, our school administration is a bunch of idiots. Now, I’m a student so its obvious I’d think that, but when you have teachers and parents agreeing, thats pretty bad.

I can’t wait until protein is banned in the U.S. Not just protein supplements, but protein in all its forms.

DB

Wow. That is freaking ridiculous.

Well, when adults mandate certain things as “off limits” to kids, it tends to make them more appealing.

Maybe sneaking protein shakes onto school grounds will become a cool thing to do.

Aren’t multivitamins supplements?

Stupid.

I don’t understand this. Is this just supposed to apply athletes as other rules do? It must. It definitely shouldn’t apply to ANYONE, especially athletes. But they can’t stop someone from bringing the food they want to from home for lunch. I hope. That would be truly ridiculous.

Not that this implicit ‘peroformance-enhancing’ nature of protein rationale that underlies this rule isn’t

I really dont see the problem in this…

Here’s the reason. As soon as little johnny bodybuilder gets caught with some protein powder he’s going to be punished - the powder’s confiscated, he’s got detention, suspension, whatever. Johnny goes home crying to mommy and daddy, who threaten to retain a lawyer and sue the collective ass of the school board. The board, being a collection of elected officials, show no spine whatsoever, and immediately cave. Bingo, proteins back.

A lot of people in this thread have said “only in america” (which i dont believe, btw.) I say, only in america can you count on the threat of a lawsuit to get your way

Man that is one of the stupidest fucking things i’ve ever heard. Did Dr. Phil say protein was a harmful drug or something? …Dumbasses

[quote]NATE21 wrote:
Man that is one of the stupidest fucking things i’ve ever heard. Did Dr. Phil say protein was a harmful drug or something? …Dumbasses[/quote]

This is what you get when this country’s Congress gets together and halts further progress in important matters and spends a few weeks on baseball as the topic of the day. This entire country is backwards and it isn’t like you couldn’t see it coming.

I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t have a chance in hell of standing up to a serious challenge. What defines a protein bar? A rectangular object in which protein is the dominant macronutrient? So what, are they gonna ban boneless porkchops? Are Powerbars banned? Can you add mix whey in with gatorade and olive oil and have a “balanced macronutrient shake”?

What about a weight-gainer, most of those have more carbs than protein. Is it all protein they are against, or just whey/casein blends? Would I be able to puree a steak and drink it out of a water bottle? How exactly are they going to determine if something in a water bottle is a protein shake, are they going to put iodide in it and do a starch test?

I really wish my school would’ve initiated this ban when I was in high school. I would’ve had some fun with this.

This is serously fucked up, like someone else said, “protein” is just the next step on the steroid ladder. think about it when your in the gym, people dont ask what protein supp your using they say “on” like its some illegal on the down low shit. this really worries me.

If this ever happened at my kid’s school I would file some kind of lawsuit (I could do it myself so there wouldn’t be attorneys fees involved). And with T-Nation being populated with exercise science and nutrition majors, I could probably find an inexpensive expert witness, am I right?

I have NO CLUE what my legal theory would be, but I would think of something.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Yet, I am not surprised. Chips, okay; protein, bad. And we wonder why we have an obesity crisis.

Why don’t schools incorporate a class on nutrition(beyond elementary school)?

I had physical ed., sex ed, but never talked about nutrition.

/Prevention is cheaper than the cure/

[quote]marcusxavier wrote:

/Prevention is cheaper than the cure/[/quote]

Many nutritionists still believe that any more protein than 10% of total daily intake is completely useless and wasteful. Medical science has always been about 10-20 years BEHIND bodybuilding.

Wow. It just blows my mind how so many Athletic Trainers still limit their knowledge in other areas of fitness and health. I’m about to graduate with my BS in Athletic Training and so many of the other students in my class are clueless about any kind of strength and conditioning, and many are in poor shape as well.

It doesn’t surprise me that this athletic trainer supports the “protein ban”, but it is very disheartening to hear it. I struggle in my class when we have discussions on weight lifting form, depth of squats, or certain nutrition aspects. I always end up causing some kind of debate.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
marcusxavier wrote:

/Prevention is cheaper than the cure/

Many nutritionists still believe that any more protein than 10% of total daily intake is completely useless and wasteful. Medical science has always been about 10-20 years BEHIND bodybuilding.

[/quote]

this is because what you know and what you can prove arent always the same thing. it is a shame really, but looking at the bright side, when im 50, ill look better than the 20 year olds

[quote]etaco wrote:
On a slightly related note, I saw a PSA the other night that I really liked in which little kids started out begging for lard and sugar, continued begging for heart disease and childhood and diabetes, and finally progressed to begging in that kid like way to shortened life spans.
[/quote]

I would LOVE to see that PSA in wider circulation! At my 5-12 school, I saw an overweight father in the other day arguing with the PE teacher that we CAN’T make his (incredibly overweight) daughter run unless we want to cripple her for life. The PE teacher said “I’m not trying to make her run; she refuses to WALK.” (I didn’t hang out to hear the rest.)

probalby cause junk food companies pay to have their machines put in the schools…where as what super market chain is going to pay to put apples in and the schools are usually more than happy to take any money that they can come by

[quote]vroom wrote:
Damn, this pisses me off.

Hey, chips are a supplement, they are designed to add fats to the diet.

I guess they’ll have to stick to cottage cheese and beef jerky then?

Oh, hey, wait, what if I drink chocolate milk, but on the sly mix in some protein, who the hell will know? Maybe I’ll call it milkshake, that isn’t “healthy” right?

How stupid can people get… oh, I shouldn’t ask that.[/quote]

You forget that chocolate milk is the poor mans Surge. Maybe they can supplement without even knowing it.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
You forget that chocolate milk is the poor mans Surge. Maybe they can supplement without even knowing it.[/quote]

Bonus points for Testy – but please don’t suggest that I’d forget such a thing… :wink:

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
I can’t wait until protein is banned in the U.S. Not just protein supplements, but protein in all its forms.

DB[/quote]

You and 20,000,000 women who allegedly don’t like to swallow.