High Reps for Bodybuilding

[quote]trextacy wrote:

This is similar to the idea of taking your 6 rep max, lift it utnil you reach 25-30 reps approach, with 30-60 seconds between sets (although this part isn’t critical). Your first set will be 5-6 reps, your second set 4-6, but by the end you are doing doubles and singles. This results in more overall volume and more work with a heavier load, more than with most any other method (ramping, straight sets, pyramids, whatever).

[/quote]

Your basically talking about rest-pause correct?

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
I work each muscle twice each week.

I’ll go heavy compounds in the 3-6 range, and for the second workout I’ll do lighter isolation work in the 12-15 rep range. I’ve been doing this for four to five weeks and I’ve made substantial improvements on all my lifts.[/quote]

I hit my PRs doing this exact scheme. best gains of my life no kidding. Now I’m trying a 3X a week scheme with the reps at 4, 8, and 15-20 for each of the 3 days respectively. It’s also working quite well.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
I work each muscle twice each week.

I’ll go heavy compounds in the 3-6 range, and for the second workout I’ll do lighter isolation work in the 12-15 rep range. I’ve been doing this for four to five weeks and I’ve made substantial improvements on all my lifts.

I hit my PRs doing this exact scheme. best gains of my life no kidding. Now I’m trying a 3X a week scheme with the reps at 4, 8, and 15-20 for each of the 3 days respectively. It’s also working quite well.[/quote]

Same here, just hit a new flat BP and a conventional DL PR in the same week.

How do you divide the muscle groups for three times a week – are you doing any doubles?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
trextacy wrote:

This is similar to the idea of taking your 6 rep max, lift it utnil you reach 25-30 reps approach, with 30-60 seconds between sets (although this part isn’t critical). Your first set will be 5-6 reps, your second set 4-6, but by the end you are doing doubles and singles. This results in more overall volume and more work with a heavier load, more than with most any other method (ramping, straight sets, pyramids, whatever).

Your basically talking about rest-pause correct?[/quote]

Similar principle, but different in certain key respects.

Since it could end up being 7-10 sets (no set amount) then it would be different than standard DC rest pause (which usually only has 2 pauses and 3 “sets”) and it has longer rest periods…the last couple of sets could have 60+ seconds of rest if need be to perform the reps.

RP will usually end up around 10-12 total reps with the workin weight (e.g. 6 initial reps, pause, 2 reps, pause, 2 more reps) whereas this gives you your target # of reps for that muscle group (20-30) all at the working weight.

I split it up much differently I think. I split it up in a push pull fashion. Day 1 is push. 2 is pull. 3 is push, etc. etc (Sun is off). I do two workouts per day and limit the volume in each session to a minimum, focusing on intensity. I try to balance the work between the two workouts. For example, Mon is push day. Chest (small/medium) and shoulders (small/medium) are in the AM and Triceps (Small) and Quads (Large) are in the PM.

Mon,Tue are primarily 5X4. That’s it. No flushing or pumping exercises on this day. I go for maximal weight and low volume.
Wed, Thur is primarily 4X8 for my main exercises.
Fri, Sat is primarily 3X15-20 for my main exercises. That’s it. Nothing heavy at all. Only a pump.

I don’t really do doubles but I sometimes switch it up and do rest-pause for my main exercise on Monday and Tuesday (my four rep days), i.e. 5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,2.

I also don’t do any spinal compressing exercises (like squats or DLs) in the AM.

Mon:

AM 5X4** Chest and Shoulders
PM 5X4** Triceps and quads

Tue:

AM
-5X4** Back Thickness and Width(A)
PM
-3X12 Shrugs (cause it’s a weakpoint. I’m trying to pre-exhaust b4 the deads)
-8X3 Deadlifts (and other posterior chain work)
-Biceps

Wed:

AM
-4X8** Chest and Shoulders
PM
-4X8** Triceps and Quads (no back squats)

Thur:

AM
-4X8** Back Thickness and Width
PM
-3X12 Shrugs (cause it’s a weakpoint. I’m trying to pre-exhaust b4 the deads)
-4X8** Deadlifts (and other posterior chain work)
-4X8** Biceps

Fri:

AM
-3X15-20** Chest and Shoulders
PM
-3X15-20** Triceps and Quads (no back squats)

Sat: (I usually combine this into 1 workout)

AM
-3X15-20** Back Thickness and Width
-4X10 Facepulls
PM
-3X12 Reverse Shrugs
-Glute Ham Raise
-3X15-20** Biceps

Sun:Off

Notes:

1. Also, my rest periods are pretty high. Something like 2 - 2.5 minutes between most exercises on most days.

**This is the number of reps for the main exercise. secondary exercises and or anciliary work as necessary.
(A) I don’t personally do low reps for lats. On this day I do pulse reps on a isolateral lat pulldown machine, such that one rep equals a standard rep, plus three Triple Pulses at beginning of movement (pull the hands into the body powerfully only about 4-5". I do 5-6 reps in this fashion)

Be a man…go for 50!

A 50 rep squat is a different world. I’ve been incorporating some REAL high reps lately for legs: 2 sets of 50 on the squat, 2 sets of 25 leg ext/leg curl, 2 sets of 25 calf raise.

[quote]trextacy wrote:

Similar principle, but different in certain key respects.

[/quote]

Cool. Thanks