High Rep Trap Dar Deadlifts for Combat?

Hello everyone, I would like to apologize in advance if the title of this thread is a little misleading. Allow me to explain.

I have recently read the 2 v 1 Road Rage thread in which members such as idaho and other ex LEO’s described life or death situations where they were fighting with a cracked up criminal.

If you were to take an LEO with formal training/weight lifting experience and have him do very high reps on the trap bar with solid weight on a consistent basis, would that increase his chances of surviving in a “balls to the wall” combat scenario which lasts for about 1 and a half minutes? I specify that time because that is the time that idaho had to square off with a criminal who was on PCP or some such.

Say, doing 45-50 reps with the trap bar using 225-250 lbs. Would this increase VO2 max, lactate threshold, pain tolerance, or otherwise have some sort of useful carryover to a life or death situation in which the individual in question had to exert himself to the extreme for over a minute, with his life being on the line?

I would very much appreciate any and all responses from LEO’s who have experimented with or at least tried high rep compound lifts and who also have been in life and death fights with criminals. Thank you very much in advance, gentlemen.

High rep deadlifts are incredibly taking on the CNS; it’s just the combination of full body movement, spinal compression etc. so, no IMHO. Use deadlifts for pure strength development once a week and let people sprint hills and/or do descending sets of burpees for conditioning.

That being said, I’m not a LEO. But the general rule that you should be able to recover from training still applies.

In my opinion limited as it is…the best way to survive a life or death situation is to train for it. Situational based training in life like scenarios is the best way to train. Being physically fit is important but adrenaline management and clear thought are probably right up there with that. It takes the total package to survive life or death situations…

Being physical strong will not always allow you to win a fight… a weaker, smarter, calmer warrior can prevail over a more physically stronger guy who adrenaline dumps and blows his load early…

[quote]damutt wrote:
In my opinion limited as it is…the best way to survive a life or death situation is to train for it. Situational based training in life like scenarios is the best way to train. Being physically fit is important but adrenaline management and clear thought are probably right up there with that. It takes the total package to survive life or death situations…

Being physical strong will not always allow you to win a fight… a weaker, smarter, calmer warrior can prevail over a more physically stronger guy who adrenaline dumps and blows his load early…[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Part of my question was using High Rep deads on top of the situational based training that you mentioned.