High Rep Training

Can someone recommend me training with high reps (10 or more reps per set) ?

why high reps?

Check out the Set/Rep Bible by Chad Waterbury, in it you can see for yourself on how to design a good program.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=651322

Because I have a wrist injury and I can’t lift big weight .

Go with “Big Boy Basics” and adjust the loads to the reps needed./

In basic make a solid program based on BIG compound movements and do the high reps younneed until you are healed

[quote]Uscumla Beograd wrote:
Because I have a wrist injury and I can’t lift big weight .[/quote]

You don’t have to use high reps exclusively. Do lot of sets of lower reps with ligter weight, possibly shortening rest times. Something like 8-10x4-5 with about 1min rest or less. These will kick your ass even with 12-15RM load.

It seems that amongst T-Nation folks, high reps are considered evil. While I feel they are not the best for muscle building, I do think that they have there place.
Muscle endurance is just as important and often more useful in the real world than the ability to deadlift a small car.
Through the military, I am forced to to high rep work, mostly with bodyweight, but we use other methods as well. Now, most will disagree, but I feel sets of repping out on pushups, pullups and situps go a long way to adding density and tone.

My sport is TKD and I can tell you that huge, muscular guys are screwed if a match lasts more than 20 seconds. They soon start huffing and puffing; easy pickin’s! I know that you want to get big but don’t throw out high reps. You’ll be a lot tougher when you can do 100 pushups with each hand, or 30 one leg squats with each leg than any guy who can bench 450 and squat 600.

That’s funny - I’m 220lbs and can go 5 3min rounds as still be ready for more. (Limited to 5 rounds for fight).

The problem is with conditioning or should i say lack of. too much aerobics and not enough specific conditioning.

I prefer to use my weights session for improving my max strength. If you have fought a guy who is really allot stronger (and has specific conditioning) you will generally get your ass kicked (skills being equal).

Regarding the wrist - make sure you allow enough time for the healing. What was the problem? Have you have had it checked out to make sure it’s ok to load again.

This maybe a good time to hit the legs hard - nothing like a hard squat session to make you grow!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
My sport is TKD and I can tell you that huge, muscular guys are screwed if a match lasts more than 20 seconds. They soon start huffing and puffing; easy pickin’s! I know that you want to get big but don’t throw out high reps. You’ll be a lot tougher when you can do 100 pushups with each hand, or 30 one leg squats with each leg than any guy who can bench 450 and squat 600.[/quote]

Big guys aren’t any more screwed than a little guy with the anaerobic and aerobic capacity of a 2 year old.

Just because they’re big doesn’t mean they don’t have the endurance. Look at the heavyweight wrestlers who go for 3 minute matches multiple times throughout a tournament or the super heavyweights/heavyweights in UFC. Some of those things last pretty long. The only reason you’ll see anyone, let alone a big guy, huffing and puffing in sparring is because they don’t train their anaerobic endurance with sprints and the like. Training anaerobics can also have an affect on aerobic endurance.

Just thought I’d throw that in there…:wink:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
My sport is TKD and I can tell you that huge, muscular guys are screwed if a match lasts more than 20 seconds. They soon start huffing and puffing; easy pickin’s! I know that you want to get big but don’t throw out high reps. You’ll be a lot tougher when you can do 100 pushups with each hand, or 30 one leg squats with each leg than any guy who can bench 450 and squat 600.[/quote]

Your post is very ignorant. 450 Bench and 600 Squat are HUGE for 99.5% of people. For a 200 lbs person, that’s 3x bodyweight. Do you have any idea how much that is? It’s HUGE! Many will never reach that, I probably never will, no matter how hard and long they workout. And those who reach that levels spend multiple years of very dedicated training in order to do so. Reaching those numbers is not something you can do on the side and with ease.

Besides, a guy squatting 600 could very easily improve greatly in one legged sqautting over the course of few months, since the amount of force needed for one rep of 1-leg squat is such a small portion of his 1RM. A guy squatting 600 probably has solid work capacity and has been working on his GPP, too. On the other hard, a skinny guy squatting one legged reps couldn’t probably walk out 600 pounds. Just like it would be much easier for a muscular, strong guy to improve his endurance, then it would be
for a small guy to improve strenght and build some size.

And, who the hell said to throw out high reps from ALL training? Many PLers do high reps, usually for assistance exercies. But, when someone is injured, what good is to decrease the load only to push the envelope with high reps nearing failure?

I second the request for what the injury actually is.

This may be a time to use the leg press, sled, and GHR bench (and similar things) for a while.

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
I second the request for what the injury actually is.

This may be a time to use the leg press, sled, and GHR bench (and similar things) for a while.

-Dan[/quote]

I know that nothing is broken(bone) , and I have another examination in monday .

I don’t have equiment for sled , and what is GHR bench .

Don’t load it till you get it checked out.

I know most people on this site are very anti high rep traning but I have lifted heavy weight low reps for years to train for rugby and it helped… but never got me to where I wanted to be. Recntly, due to an injury, I had to switch to nothing but body-weight exercises for very high reps and I feel like I am in he best shape of my life. Not to mention I am faster, quicker and have more endurance than ever before.

[quote]DB297 wrote:
I know most people on this site are very anti high rep traning but I have lifted heavy weight low reps for years to train for rugby and it helped… but never got me to where I wanted to be. Recntly, due to an injury, I had to switch to nothing but body-weight exercises for very high reps and I feel like I am in he best shape of my life. Not to mention I am faster, quicker and have more endurance than ever before. [/quote]

Most people are against EXCLUSIVE high reps. I don’t think there is a single author or prominent forum poster on this site who advocates no high rep momvements. Among some perceived anti-high-reppers CW is often cited as a source for high set low rep training protocols, but his programs often include high rep work.

I think the stigma is against always using high rep ranges and always working to failure. I know in one of his recent posts or articles Eric Cressey advocated highish reps even for PL’ers for some movements.

Also, using high reps often goes hand in hand with using small pussy movements. I definitely thing there are alot of reasons 20 reps of lateral raises suck but 20 rep squats are a useful tool.

High reps are another method in the toolbox. They aren’t intrinsically bad OR good. It’s all about how you use them.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Did he just say 100 -ONE HUNDRED- one arm push ups/hand??? I think that when done properly (note-I can’t…started training though) - shoulders parallel to floor- they seem impossible (for now at least)

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Most people don’t realize that while raw one rep strength helps in a fight,I think fighting comes down to higher rep strength.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
My sport is TKD and I can tell you that huge, muscular guys are screwed if a match lasts more than 20 seconds. They soon start huffing and puffing; easy pickin’s! I know that you want to get big but don’t throw out high reps. You’ll be a lot tougher when you can do 100 pushups with each hand, or 30 one leg squats with each leg than any guy who can bench 450 and squat 600.

Most people don’t realize that while raw one rep strength helps in a fight,I think fighting comes down to higher rep strength.[/quote]

I would like to offer my opinion on this and seeing as i have almost 50 years experience in wrestling/martial arts the opinion is based on some experience.

In a fight you cannot say it is strength that will win - nor can you say it is repetitions (aka speed). There are too many other variables. But if you want to increase your chances of winning you need BOTH strength and speed with a large dose of endurance thrown in.

But then again if it is a street fight and you get sucker punched none of the above means anything.

There is a saying in China - “when two tigers fight - one dies and the other is seriously wounded”.

Choose your fights very very carefully.

[quote]gonta47 wrote:
I would like to offer my opinion on this and seeing as i have almost 50 years experience in wrestling/martial arts the opinion is based on some experience.

In a fight you cannot say it is strength that will win - nor can you say it is repetitions (aka speed). There are too many other variables. But if you want to increase your chances of winning you need BOTH strength and speed with a large dose of endurance thrown in.

But then again if it is a street fight and you get sucker punched none of the above means anything.

There is a saying in China - “when two tigers fight - one dies and the other is seriously wounded”.

Choose your fights very very carefully.[/quote]

Well said!

[quote]gonta47 wrote:
Choose your fights very very carefully.[/quote]

I like that advice.