High Rep Overhead Press?

Does anybody else do these or do they just stick to heavier presses?

Ive just done these as a finisher and I feel the SO much more than “heavy” OHP’s

did sets of 20 reps with only 30kg and my whole shoulder girlde was burning in a good way.

high rep anything with a small weight will burn. Seriously, go do a bunch of bodyweight squats, bet you get a big burn. Bench like 40% of your max and see the burn you get once you do a lot of reps. That’s why you will feel it more then “heavy” reps. Doesn’t mean it is necessarily better for muscle growth.

Not saying a burn is bad/isn’t good, but a burn for the sake of getting a burn is useless. I like having a pump in my muscles after I do heavier, lower rep stuff, so as a finisher I could see the use. Basically to help feel the muscle.

To answer your question, no I never did OHP for more then 12 reps. I don’t like going below 5 for it also, so I always did 6-10. Never seemed like I could do enough weight to make OHP worth it for high reps, plus I don’t like the idea of trying to get a deep burn my shoulders/arms with a weight directly overhead.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
did sets of 20 reps with only 30kg and my whole shoulder girlde was burning in a good way.[/quote]
I don’t use this technique myself for OHP as I tend to go low reps and higher reps with lateral raises, etc.

I don’t see anything wrong with it though, I would just save it for the end and really pump up the muscles. I believe that’s what we meat heads call “Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy” if I am reading this chart correctly.

Also, working on pain tolerance always increases badassery.

*Chart

EDIT:
Didn’t come up at first. Oops!

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]pgtips wrote:
did sets of 20 reps with only 30kg and my whole shoulder girlde was burning in a good way.[/quote]
I don’t use this technique myself for OHP as I tend to go low reps and higher reps with lateral raises, etc.

I don’t see anything wrong with it though, I would just save it for the end and really pump up the muscles. I believe that’s what we meat heads call “Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy” if I am reading this chart correctly.

Also, working on pain tolerance always increases badassery. [/quote]

Hey, Thanks for that. That’s a pretty decent table, I’m sure I’ll be referencing that alot.

I’ve been thinking of doing a workout now that will be short, but I think would be effective.

With each excercise I do (Weighted) I’ll do one heavy set where I can get no more than 3-5 reps, then after that, I’ll strip the weight right off and do a set of as much reps as possible.

I don’t know why but I find high reps moderate/light weights therapeutic in a way. It gets me feeling the movement in a good way, plus I love that burning feeling.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
I don’t know why but I find high reps moderate/light weights therapeutic in a way. It gets me feeling the movement in a good way, plus I love that burning feeling.[/quote]
Let me guess, naturally skinny? Hard time gaining muscle/weight?

I’d say I’m average, I’m stronger and more athletic than most people I know, but nobody else I know does regular excercise or lifts, or if they do, they do bicep curls and bench. Although my strength is more in climbing things.

I just find I need a break after a few weeks of lifting heavy (relative to me) or else I feel really banged up and not very athletic. I started stronglifts and the squats burnt me out after a few weeks!

high reps feels like WD40 for my joints lol

Yeah man, embrace it. I love going high-reps after all heavy work. In fact, I can’t think of training without them for the most part.

Listen to your body!

[quote]pgtips wrote:

high reps feels like WD40 for my joints lol[/quote]

yep, 30rep squats feels great after heavy triples