High Rep, Lower Weight Training

[quote]clip11 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
What are you eating?

I really dont have a diet because its too expensive for me right now.

Lol, what?

You know what I mean…

[/quote]

diet - the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group

Even if you ate nothing at all, that’s your diet. A diet doesn’t mean something to lose weight, it just means whatever your eating. So I’m going to assume you mean you don’t have money for protein supp? If so I would pretty much say that’s the #1 food you would want to spend money on. Unless your seriously getting 1.5 to 2g of protein per lb. of body weight from other foods. But then I feel like that would be more expensive.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
What are you eating?

I really dont have a diet because its too expensive for me right now.[/quote]

There’s your problem.

If you don’t eat enough to fuel your workouts, you won’t get stronger.
If you don’t eat enough to fuel muscle growth, you won’t put any muscle on.

Keep your same program. Up your calories. You will make gains.

If you’ve been training at 7-12 reps, i’d do something like 3-6 reps for a while.

After trying different rep schemes over the years I always seem to go back to mod weight for 10 reps with very short rest periords while concentrating on feeling the weight. I know that goes against the grain on this website but the weight I lift is not my primary concern. I still use a progressive increase in weights but not at the sacrafice of control or rest times. I am not trying to say that people that lift lower reps and heavier weight use sloppy form but that when I personnaly try to make an increase in weight my goal I seem to lose form and not get the results I am looking for.

OP, you’re a pretty strong dude if you can lift that kinda weight @ that bodyweight. I’m a little confused how you got to lift that kinda weight without knowing how to break plateau’s…you musta hit them at some point or another.

Also, I think at some point…you will probably need to gain more size to lift more. I can’t imagine you can make strength gains consistantly forever without gaining any weight…and you’re pretty light considering the weight you lift.

[quote]red04 wrote:
Every time I see clip post I think of that thread where he claimed to be pressing 140lb DBs for 10 reps at 5’11 175(his profile says 145’s now, woo!) and how it’s a)complete bullshit(very likely) or b) he’s a ridiculous freak that is wasting some of the best strength potential on this planet because he is the intellectual equivalent of play-doh.[/quote]

I’ve never even seen 145 pound dumbbells. After 100 pounders don’t they go in 10 pound increments in most gyms? My gyms dumbbells go up to 160 and I’ve never seen anything over 100 in less than 10 pound increments.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
What are you eating?

There’s your problem.

Keep your same program. Up your calories. You will make gains.[/quote]

Wait…this wasn’t the first response?

I mean, if you aren’t eating to gain any size at all, why would you think your gains would keep coming? This even needed an entire thread?

WHY?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Invictica wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Invictica wrote:
What are you eating?

There’s your problem.

Keep your same program. Up your calories. You will make gains.

Wait…this wasn’t the first response?

I mean, if you aren’t eating to gain any size at all, why would you think your gains would keep coming? This even needed an entire thread?

WHY?[/quote]

Because the OP’s a liar and it’s fun to pick on him.

The OP has nearly 900 posts;
He hits 140-pound dumbbells for reps;
His deadlift is 500 pounds, for 5 reps;
He weighs 175 pounds;
He’s been training for years;
He’s stalled and doesn’t know what to do; etc.

There might be a lie here somewhere.

[quote]ddinante wrote:
The OP has nearly 900 posts;
He hits 140-pound dumbbells for reps; <<<<<<
His deadlift is 500 pounds, for 5 reps; <<<<<<
He weighs 175 pounds;
He’s been training for years;
He’s stalled and doesn’t know what to do; etc.

There might be a lie here somewhere.[/quote]

or two

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
After trying different rep schemes over the years I always seem to go back to mod weight for 10 reps with very short rest periords while concentrating on feeling the weight. I know that goes against the grain on this website but the weight I lift is not my primary concern. I still use a progressive increase in weights but not at the sacrafice of control or rest times. I am not trying to say that people that lift lower reps and heavier weight use sloppy form but that when I personnaly try to make an increase in weight my goal I seem to lose form and not get the results I am looking for. [/quote]

When you say ‘progressive increase in weight’ do you mean ramping the load to a final max set or sets with the same load and increasing the load over time (days, weeks, etc)?

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:
After trying different rep schemes over the years I always seem to go back to mod weight for 10 reps with very short rest periords while concentrating on feeling the weight. I know that goes against the grain on this website but the weight I lift is not my primary concern. I still use a progressive increase in weights but not at the sacrafice of control or rest times. I am not trying to say that people that lift lower reps and heavier weight use sloppy form but that when I personnaly try to make an increase in weight my goal I seem to lose form and not get the results I am looking for.

When you say ‘progressive increase in weight’ do you mean ramping the load to a final max set or sets with the same load and increasing the load over time (days, weeks, etc)?[/quote]

No I don’t ramp up, I actually warm up with light weights then start at my max weight for 10 reps and stay with that weight for x sets. When I can get 10 on my last set without hitting failure I increase the weight on the next workout.
Currently I am doing a modified 10x10 routine with 20-30 sec. rest periods so I increase the weight on this routine when all 10 sets are done within 20-30 sec. without having to resort to changing my form or having to take extra breaths between reps. It is a very slow progression in weight but at 48 yrs old I have learned to have patience. I am proud of my light weight of 95 lb MP 10x10 and BW dips 10x10.

[quote]red04 wrote:
Every time I see clip post I think of that thread where he claimed to be pressing 140lb DBs for 10 reps at 5’11 175(his profile says 145’s now, woo!) and how it’s a)complete bullshit(very likely) or b) he’s a ridiculous freak that is wasting some of the best strength potential on this planet because he is the intellectual equivalent of play-doh.[/quote]

Every time I see his posts its usually a joke…

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:

When you say ‘progressive increase in weight’ do you mean ramping the load to a final max set or sets with the same load and increasing the load over time (days, weeks, etc)?

No I don’t ramp up, I actually warm up with light weights then start at my max weight for 10 reps and stay with that weight for x sets. When I can get 10 on my last set without hitting failure I increase the weight on the next workout.
Currently I am doing a modified 10x10 routine with 20-30 sec. rest periods so I increase the weight on this routine when all 10 sets are done within 20-30 sec. without having to resort to changing my form or having to take extra breaths between reps. It is a very slow progression in weight but at 48 yrs old I have learned to have patience. I am proud of my light weight of 95 lb MP 10x10 and BW dips 10x10.
[/quote]

I think this is similar to what most pro’s do and most BB’rs in general. The 10x10 volume seems a bit much to me, but you probably only do that once per week?

I personally prefer a twice per week split. I can use less volume and higher load. But like you I currently use the same load for all sets.

I think it is difficult to gain over the long term by ramping to max as it wears you out after a while. The point is to be able to recover from every workout. If you can’t fully recover and super-compensate from every workout you cannot continue to progress.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:

I think this is similar to what most pro’s do and most BB’rs in general. The 10x10 volume seems a bit much to me, but you probably only do that once per week?

I personally prefer a twice per week split. I can use less volume and higher load. But like you I currently use the same load for all sets.

I think it is difficult to gain over the long term by ramping to max as it wears you out after a while. The point is to be able to recover from every workout. If you can’t fully recover and super-compensate from every workout you cannot continue to progress.

[/quote]

Why do you think like this?

If it were difficult to gain over the long term, are you saying any progress I’ve made is imaginary? That I was worn out and just didn’t know it? That I truly didn’t recover and supercompensate?

Why do you believe most pros train without ramping up?

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:

[/quote]

i have seen your posts. you seem to ignore every big dude who tells you they ramp up and instead choose to live in some fantasy realm where everyone does straight sets.

are you even jacked?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
i have seen your posts. you seem to ignore every big dude who tells you they ramp up and instead choose to live in some fantasy realm where everyone does straight sets.

are you even jacked?[/quote]

A genuine lol.

10x10 does seems a bit much:D I’m quite certain THAT would wear me out in the long term

Hey, I am not trying to get any arguments started. I like volume training at a very fast pace. I think the amount of muscle I gain is determined by the amt of food I eat, the stimulus to the muscle is there. Other types of routines would work just as well as long as you are pushing yourself which can only be determined by YOU.I have used 10x3 and other weight/rep schemes and I like the benefits of 10x10 and other high volume routines better- to each his own.

Bodybuilders have to find what works for them and not worry about what others are doing. I read this site to learn from other lifters and it is up to me to pick and choose what I want to try and not try. I agree with Prof X that no one can tell you what you are doing is wrong if you get results. Now, do I think I got it all together , NO, but I enjoy trying and I think I look like I lift weights.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
bwhitwell wrote:

are you even jacked?[/quote]

I can tell by your profile pics that you are jacked Mr Candy