High Rep Behind the Neck Press?

Hi All,

Christian Thibaudeau is a huge supporter of the Behind the Neck Press, so I figure this would be the best place to discuss this particular movement.

Is it optimal to do high rep sets of the BTN Press? By high rep, I’m talking about the 8-10 rep range. I’ve run across a couple programs that use the movement in the 5 rep range. However, I plan on using this particular movement as assistance work for my Push Press, and I usually tend to do 3-5x10 for my assistance exercises.

Thanks!

[quote]mikebp0128 wrote:
Hi All,

Christian Thibaudeau is a huge supporter of the Behind the Neck Press, so I figure this would be the best place to discuss this particular movement.

Is it optimal to do high rep sets of the BTN Press? By high rep, I’m talking about the 8-10 rep range. I’ve run across a couple programs that use the movement in the 5 rep range. However, I plan on using this particular movement as assistance work for my Push Press, and I usually tend to do 3-5x10 for my assistance exercises.

Thanks![/quote]

I believe that it is best used for higher reps and lighter weights, especially the first 4-6 weeks you do it. Gives the body a chance to adapt to it, improve mobility and reduce the risk of injuries.

Do you recommend going all the way down to your traps with behind the back press? When you are doing high reps do you pause on your traps or continual tension? I tend to pause my lower rep sets, 5-8, and do continual tension when in the 8-12 range.

For future reference, is this the type of question that is tangentially related enough to belong with the original posters thread or should it be moved to its own. Thanks to y’all regardless!

[quote]lotsi81 wrote:
Do you recommend going all the way down to your traps with behind the back press? When you are doing high reps do you pause on your traps or continual tension? I tend to pause my lower rep sets, 5-8, and do continual tension when in the 8-12 range.

For future reference, is this the type of question that is tangentially related enough to belong with the original posters thread or should it be moved to its own. Thanks to y’all regardless!
[/quote]

That question is fine.

I like to lower the barbell low, but not until it touches the traps. I don’t pause at the bottom either.