High Pulls

Coach,

I have a few questions on high pulls, I apologize in advance if these have been answered numerous times in the past.

I am going to start doing snatch grip high pulls 2x a week. Right now I train full body 3x a week with one session containing cleans. Should I avoid doing these on the same days as cleans? For grip, I noticed you used straps in your video on the last article your wrote on these. Is this a preference thing or should I use straps over hook grip? Also any tips for a beginner at this exercise should be on the lookout for, like common missteps to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
Someone who wants the power look

The skin of my fingers took a beating the first 3 weeks of 2x a week SGHP but honestly my grip was the least of my worries.

Let’s be real though, I aint slinging around much weight.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Coach,

I have a few questions on high pulls, I apologize in advance if these have been answered numerous times in the past.

I am going to start doing snatch grip high pulls 2x a week. Right now I train full body 3x a week with one session containing cleans. Should I avoid doing these on the same days as cleans? For grip, I noticed you used straps in your video on the last article your wrote on these. Is this a preference thing or should I use straps over hook grip? Also any tips for a beginner at this exercise should be on the lookout for, like common missteps to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
Someone who wants the power look[/quote]

In the video I used straps but I use the hook grip for as long as I can. For example if I can work up to 350lbs with a hook grip I do that. If I have 20-30lbs more in me with straps I keep on ramping with the straps.

For the 3 weeks leading up to the video I did high pulls every day… the goal was to peak that lift, so that’s pretty much all I did. The bar I had is the Eleiko powerlifting bar, which has a very rough knurling… I had to use straps to avoid tearing a caluse.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Coach,

Thanks in advance,

In the video I used straps but I use the hook grip for as long as I can. For example if I can work up to 350lbs with a hook grip I do that. If I have 20-30lbs more in me with straps I keep on ramping with the straps.

For the 3 weeks leading up to the video I did high pulls every day… the goal was to peak that lift, so that’s pretty much all I did. The bar I had is the Eleiko powerlifting bar, which has a very rough knurling… I had to use straps to avoid tearing a caluse.
[/quote]

Got it. I’ll save them for peaking and max effort if needed, thanks.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Coach,

Thanks in advance,

[/quote]

You used leather straps, correct?
If you were to recommend straps to someone is there any specific straps you’d recommend?

My apologizes if this has been answered previously.

[quote]Trevorxgage wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Coach,

Thanks in advance,

[/quote]

You used leather straps, correct?
If you were to recommend straps to someone is there any specific straps you’d recommend?

My apologizes if this has been answered previously.
[/quote]

Schiek leather straps

Just thought I’d mention that Elitefts has some new leather straps out.