T Nation

High Pulls & Upright Rows

I just read Jeremy Frisch’s article and although I already do power cleans I’d like to incorporate high pulls into my routine as well.

I’ve learned that upright rows tend to cause shoulder problems and from the diagrams and videos I’ve seen, upright rows somewhat resemble the movement of high pulls.

Will high pulls also cause shoulder problems or does the width of the grip(snatch style)negate potential shoulder problems.

Hope someone can offer some insight into this…

Thanks in advance,
FFB

[quote]FFB4Life wrote:

Will high pulls also cause shoulder problems or does the width of the grip(snatch style)negate potential shoulder problems.

[/quote]

In my (limited) experience, high pulls do not cause shoulder problems, as the elbows are pulled up and back in the high pull, whilst in the upright row they’re merely pulled straight up.

Never had any problem doing high pulls, awesome move, shoulders feel great.

Check out my “Debunking Exercise Myths” series here; I went into some detail on the differences between the two.

www.EricCressey.com

[quote]FFB4Life wrote:
I just read Jeremy Frisch’s article and although I already do power cleans I’d like to incorporate high pulls into my routine as well.

I’ve learned that upright rows tend to cause shoulder problems and from the diagrams and videos I’ve seen, upright rows somewhat resemble the movement of high pulls.

Hope someone can offer some insight into this…

Thanks in advance,
FFB[/quote]

I can only give you my personal take on the topic. While upright rows bother my shoulders I have never had a problem with high pulls.

Do a search on this site and you will get some great in depth material regarding the shoulder joint that should be helpful.

Thanks for the feedback guys and thanks for the link to your articles Eric. It was very informative and I’ve decided to definitely incorporate the high pull.

For what it’s worth, I use a cable for heavy upright rows (and also lighter DBs).
Here’s a video of my technique.
[video]246[/video]

I’ve never had problems with this exercise.

Isabelle

are you supposed to be using your whole body to get the weight up? i thought just your arms were supposed to move…

Upright rows with a barbell do hurt my shoulders- but high pull/ upright rows with a trap bar dont hurt at all. plus it really works the traps and side delts pretty good.

isabelle is badass

[quote]imbiggert wrote:
For what it’s worth, I use a cable for heavy upright rows (and also lighter DBs).
Here’s a video of my technique.
[video]246[/video]

I’ve never had problems with this exercise.

Isabelle
[/quote]

I believe that you are reaching around your middle chest. Problems usually occured when people tried to bring the bar to the clavicle area or up.

BTW that is one badass move !

I didnt read Cressey’s article yet, but I think one of the main differences with high pulls is that the weight is accelerated and by the time it is near shoulder level which is the vulnerable position for your shoulders the weight has been reduced because it is moving upward.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
isabelle is badass[/quote]

[video]258[/video]

(Proof?)

Great vid Isabelle! Looking good!

thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve incorporated high pulls since I started this thread and I’m enjoying the movement immensely.