High Pulls or Deads?

Bill Starr’s 5x5 says to do either one. Which would be better? (if it helps, im not a bodybuilder, I lift to become stronger and more explosive)

Oh, and if someone can give me a good video of high pulls, i’d appreciate it.

High pulls are explosive lifts and they will train your explosiveness first and strength second… so will powerclean. deadlift will give you strength first and explosiveness second.

This is because you get the explosiveness needed to lift it off the ground but just enough. with a high pull you have to keep exploading in quadruple-extention (ankels, knees, hips, and traps) where as you do not in the deadlift.

They are just 2 different exercises that train the same things but with one havng more emphasas on explosiveness over strength and vice versa. Do both, i recomend you do power cleans over high pulls. but i like the way the rack position completes the lift (floor to shoulders). anyways one is not better than the other, just different so do both

[quote]fisch wrote:
Which would be better? (if it helps, im not a bodybuilder, I lift to become stronger and more explosive)[/quote]
Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

[quote]elano wrote:
High pulls are explosive lifts and they will train your explosiveness first and strength second… so will powerclean. deadlift will give you strength first and explosiveness second.[/quote]
That’s a fair enough assessment, especially with 5-rep sets.

Here’s a killer video of snatch-grip high pulls. The wider grip will involve the upper back much more. You could also do them from the hang (waist-height), instead of the floor, to further emphasize the upper body work.

And feel free to browse the rest of that guy’s videos. He knows his stuff.