T Nation

High Pulls for Power Cleans and Snatches?

CT, I have been doing a routine loosely based off of Starting Strength but with more frequent O-lifting and I moved the Power Cleans and Snatches to the beginning. My problem is, having never done the O-lifts, I am still trying to learn them and my technique is way behind my strength level. I was wondering if from a pure strength and performance perspective (and vanity), High Pulls could be as beneficial as the O-Lifts? I am having a lot of trouble with the catch.

Also, second question. Do you use weightlifting shoes for all your lifts or just the explosive ones?

I do believe that high pulls will build as much power as the full olympic lifts and will also build more muscle mass. As for the shoes, I use OL shoes for everything, mostly because I just don’t see myself bringing 3 pairs of shoes to the gym!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I do believe that high pulls will build as much power as the full olympic lifts and will also build more muscle mass. As for the shoes, I use OL shoes for everything, mostly because I just don’t see myself bringing 3 pairs of shoes to the gym!

[/quote]

Thanks, what I was thinking about multiple pairs of shoes. I will probably just switch to high pulls then as the rack is my biggest hang up. Its a mixture of bad technique and poor wrist flexibility that seems to cause me to keep crushing my collar bones or catching the weight with my elbows pointed straight down.

Thanks again for the reply.