High Pull: Klokov Coaching

Really good explanation.

Very informative; thanks for posting.

Wow the guy in the second video sucks!

But thanks for posting. Klokov is a funny guy. And a great coach.

Some basic stuff. But why would anyone care about doing high pulls anyway. Not a great exercise choice for anything really.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Some basic stuff. But why would anyone care about doing high pulls anyway. Not a great exercise choice for anything really.[/quote]

I would respectfully disagree, have you tried them for a month or two?

Some basic stuff. But why would anyone care about doing high pulls anyway. Not a great exercise choice for anything really.[/quote]

Please explain.

Seriously ?

This guy apparently does

Before I say my piece I would rather hear from you guys why anyone should do the high pulls over other exercises. For what purpose? Why is a great choice for that purpose? etc. Be specific.

Before I say my piece I would rather hear from you guys why anyone should do the high pulls over other exercises. For what purpose? Why is a great choice for that purpose? etc. Be specific.[/quote]

I have found high pulls hit my entire back in a way that no other exercise does. Just like bent rows , pull ups and deadlifts hit my back in their own unique way.

Many say that the high pull is not a great hypotrophy exercise because lack of TUT but I have found the explosive nature combined with heavy weight and multiple set of 5-6 reps have done wonders for my traps, erectors, low back and lats ( to a lesser extent).

You might arguing that Oly lifters or people who do mostly Oly exercises do not have the back development of bodybuilders. That may be so but now were comparing apples to oranges. One is about appearance while the other is about performance. I will say this, with the exception of some elite bodybuilders, many bodybuilders may have a well developed back but it just lacks the “look of power” that you will see on strongman, powerlifters and yes, Oly lifters.

I use the high pull as just one exercise out of many for my back. It has it’s place in an overall program just like any other exercise.

I also found it built a lot of overall strength. Very useful when I wrestled in HS and played college football. lifting a heavy weight from the ground, or from the hang position, and bringing it close to shoulder level in a explosive manner will make one strong, at least it did for me.

As far as those who say doing high pulls can lead to injury, I guess it can. But so can any other exercise. You have to be smart about not aggravating any pre-existing injuries or conditions.

The high pull is not hard to learn. Even then ,you don’t have to have the technique of a world class Oly lifter to get benefits from it.

Fortunately for me, I learned about doing high pulls and power cleans soon after I started lifting at age 14. I am now 51 and for the most part never stopped doing them. They work for me. They may not work for everyone but the same can be said about any exercise.

Someone does not have to pick high pulls over another exercise. That’s like saying someone has to pick DB should presses over other shoulder exercises or bench presses over other chest exercises.

I probably cannot convince you that high pulls are a worthy exercise. I know you cannot convince me that they are not a worthy exercise.

[quote]jimg21 wrote:

Before I say my piece I would rather hear from you guys why anyone should do the high pulls over other exercises. For what purpose? Why is a great choice for that purpose? etc. Be specific.[/quote]

I have found high pulls hit my entire back in a way that no other exercise does. Just like bent rows , pull ups and deadlifts hit my back in their own unique way.

Many say that the high pull is not a great hypotrophy exercise because lack of TUT but I have found the explosive nature combined with heavy weight and multiple set of 5-6 reps have done wonders for my traps, erectors, low back and lats ( to a lesser extent).

You might arguing that Oly lifters or people who do mostly Oly exercises do not have the back development of bodybuilders. That may be so but now were comparing apples to oranges. One is about appearance while the other is about performance. I will say this, with the exception of some elite bodybuilders, many bodybuilders may have a well developed back but it just lacks the “look of power” that you will see on strongman, powerlifters and yes, Oly lifters.[/quote]

What is “the look of power”? Because this is kinda going into “muscle shaping /toning” territory.

Before I say my piece I would rather hear from you guys why anyone should do the high pulls over other exercises. [/quote]

I haven’t seen an Oly program without high pulls of some kind so if you’re a crossfitter or Oly lifter it would make sense to incorporate them. If you’re a weekend warrior high pulls can be a nice change of pace and can be used to prime the CNS for heavier work (Ex. Amit has written about the clean pull as a primer for deadlifting).

“why anyone should do the high pulls over other exercises.”

That’s a pretty broad question and I think the answer depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Building the Snatch, makes sense. Building explosiveness, makes sense, but might not be ideal. Strictly a powerlifitng, might be a waste of time.

[quote]
For what purpose? Why is a great choice for that purpose? etc. Be specific.[/quote]

As a way to build the first and second pull on the Oly lifts. I’m not aware of many ways to build the Oly lifts other than the lifts themselves and pulling variations. It can and is often argued they are great for building explosiveness, but again if you aren’t specially working on the Oly lifts there are other choices that can work too (Defranco has written about this quite a bit).

Personally, I find it’s just another way to challenge yourself and can help keep workouts fresh. I’ve found clean high pulls have helped with trap development, grip strength, and explosiveness off the floor (a weak point for me).

[quote]dt79 wrote:
What is “the look of power”? Because this is kinda going into “muscle shaping /toning” territory.
[/quote]

I think he just means the thick neck and traps looks.

trap/upper back hypertrophy probably. If I cared about getting larger traps simply for the sake of having larger traps, I’d probably incorporate high pulls. I think they’re probably the most effective exercise for this (or some variation of the lift). I had my biggest gains in trap development when I was doing cleans regularly, and I don’t attribute the gains to the catch portion of the movement. I think they’re more effective than shrugs.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I had my biggest gains in trap development when I was doing cleans regularly, and I don’t attribute the gains to the catch portion of the movement. I think they’re more effective than shrugs.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
[/quote]

I think he just means the thick neck and traps looks. [/quote]

Well, in that case, we’re talking about achieving certain proportions. Logically, wouldn’t it make more sense to target and put emphasis on the muscles that create these proportions, like a bodybuilder training for a desired symmetrical look.

I’m not saying that high pulls suck. I’m just wondering about the thought process.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
[/quote]

I think he just means the thick neck and traps looks. [/quote]

Well, in that case, we’re talking about achieving certain proportions. Logically, wouldn’t it make more sense to target and put emphasis on the muscles that create these proportions, like a bodybuilder training for a desired symmetrical look.

I’m not saying that high pulls suck. I’m just wondering about the thought process. [/quote]

If that’s what he meant then ya I agree with you. I personally think high pull variations build the traps very well.

SGHP are dangerous. You should stay away from them. I do them regularly and they have caused me to contract a condition in my upper back that they call hypertrophy. Now, alas, I am an addict. It started out with once per week. Then I started doing them twice per week. Then 3 times. Before you know it, I did them everyday for 3-4 weeks in what that pusher CT called a “high pull blitz”. I can’t get off of them now. People like Klokov and CT have trapped me inside this hypertrophy hell. Please, someone help me.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

SGHP are dangerous. You should stay away from them. I do them regularly and they have caused me to contract a condition in my upper back that they call hypertrophy. Now, alas, I am an addict. It started out with once per week. Then I started doing them twice per week. Then 3 times. Before you know it, I did them everyday for 3-4 weeks in what that pusher CT called a “high pull blitz”. I can’t get off of them now. People like Klokov and CT have trapped me inside this hypertrophy hell. Please, someone help me. [/quote]

LOL, this one’s an instant classic.

So now you tell us why they suck.

[quote]Aopocetx wrote:

So now you tell us why they suck. [/quote]

1. Dude, is that your arm in your avi or did you photo shop a picture of a hand onto a leg? Nice.

2. I also want the OP to tell us why they suck.