T Nation

High Pull Cue

@CT: Assumimg proper set up, loose arms, lats engaged pulling toward thigh, shoulder blades together, tight grip, do you focus on pushing your heals through the floor pretending to move the floor from you or pushing your hips forward like a kettle bell swing? Thank you for your time & answer. :slight_smile:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: Assumimg proper set up, loose arms, lats engaged pulling toward thigh, shoulder blades together, tight grip, do you focus on pushing your heals through the floor pretending to move the floor from you or pushing your hips forward like a kettle bell swing? Thank you for your time & answer. :)[/quote]

For me the key thought is to try to throw the chest toward the ceiling as fast as I can. For some people driving the heels hard might be a good cue, really each person has his own cue that allows them to do the movement efficiently.

You know in an explosive movement you can only have ONE focus point otherwise you’ll lose speed.

Thank you awesome answer & I’m just about to start I will try that!

I just had the best high pull session ever since focusing on getting my chest toward the ceiling as fast as humanly possible…thank you again CT! Do you use this cue with Dead-Squat Launch too?

[quote]sput79 wrote:
I just had the best high pull session ever since focusing on getting my chest toward the ceiling as fast as humanly possible…thank you again CT! Do you use this cue with Dead-Squat Launch too?[/quote]

Yes, any explosive pulls as well as olympic lifts

I will definitely keep this cue in mind for the next high pull session I have. Thanks CT.

Also, is it possible to do the high pulls where the first rep is from the blocks, and the other reps are from the hang. The reps from the hang feel “better” to me, or should I concentrate and focus on really nailing down the reps from the block?

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I will definitely keep this cue in mind for the next high pull session I have. Thanks CT.

Also, is it possible to do the high pulls where the first rep is from the blocks, and the other reps are from the hang. The reps from the hang feel “better” to me, or should I concentrate and focus on really nailing down the reps from the block?[/quote]

Of course, that’s how I do most sets of 3-5 reps. I actually feel that the ‘lowering/catch’ in the hang is one of the most powerful way to stimulate traps growth.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: Assumimg proper set up, loose arms, lats engaged pulling toward thigh, shoulder blades together, tight grip, do you focus on pushing your heals through the floor pretending to move the floor from you or pushing your hips forward like a kettle bell swing? Thank you for your time & answer. :)[/quote]

For me the key thought is to try to throw the chest toward the ceiling as fast as I can. For some people driving the heels hard might be a good cue, really each person has his own cue that allows them to do the movement efficiently.

You know in an explosive movement you can only have ONE focus point otherwise you’ll lose speed. [/quote]
this is SO true. you can only work on one aspect at a time, otherwise you get scrambled eggs for brains… lol

Thank you do much CT! I can’t wait to try that cue on the dead-squat launch…I love the exercise & my physique is changing so fast! I love it!