T Nation

High Pull and Power Snatch Thoughts

CT: Wow… 3 weeks into the Layers and honestly how great of a workout are High Pull days! The conditioning alone with the short rest periods is insane.

  1. What do we need to look out for as far as injuries with the two pulls. Are there any specific bad shoulder habits we should keep in mind when doing these. I think the biggest is with the leg “pop”, making sure we are not pulling with arms too early on both lifts…

  2. On the Power Snatch, how do we determine what 70% power is?..find the max explosiveness and multiply by 70% imagine.

  3. And finally, when I “pop” on the P. Snatch I’m not grasping this “thigh glide” thing…I pop and then with straight arms up get the bar up and under. Wondering if this will bring on shoulder issues from my technique…per above.

…I also noticed on the High Pull if I get off the ground on my toes it totally ruins the power behind the pull at the top. You must stay in contact with the ground on the toes and keep on the toes all the way to the end of the pull…then its Money!

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT: Wow… 3 weeks into the Layers and honestly how great of a workout are High Pull days! The conditioning alone with the short rest periods is insane.

  1. What do we need to look out for as far as injuries with the two pulls. Are there any specific bad shoulder habits we should keep in mind when doing these. I think the biggest is with the leg “pop”, making sure we are not pulling with arms too early on both lifts… [/quote]

That is exactly right. The only injuries I’ve seen or heard from high pulls are basically involved with pulling early with the arms, putting stress on the biceps which can either lead to slight muscle pulls or inflamation. You really have to focus on doing the launch with the legs, hips and lower back.

In fact in the starting position and during the actual launch the arms should be as loose as possible while the upper back is held very tight.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
2. On the Power Snatch, how do we determine what 70% power is?..find the max explosiveness and multiply by 70% imagine.[/quote]

Well, 70% is only an approximation for that lift since it is not layered. To me 70% on the olympic lifts is a moderate weight, a lot in which every rep is explosive and there is zero technique breakdown… every rep in the set feels exactly the same.

Sure you can test your actual max and go from there, but really, simply focus on doing the lift explosively and with crisp technique.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
3. And finally, when I “pop” on the P. Snatch I’m not grasping this “thigh glide” thing…I pop and then with straight arms up get the bar up and under. Wondering if this will bring on shoulder issues from my technique…per above. [/quote]

Here ar some examples from one of my lifters… the first one is a chinese-style snatch pull from blocks. If you compare the launch point to the starting position, the barbell has moved back toward the body before being launched. The arms are not bending, they are still straight, but the barbell is brought toward the hips (same action as a cable straight-arm pulldown).

Here is a power snatch from the hang, same thing, notice that when she starts the upward movement, the bar is brought in toward the hips even though the arms are not bending, when the bar is at the hips she launches it.

And you can see the same thing here on the snatch high pull + snatch combo, as soon as the bar passes the knees, the bar is pulled (or swept) toward the hips as the torso is straigthened and to bring the bar to the launch point at the hips.

Ideally at the launch point the barbell is almost directly above the heels and the shoulders above the bar.

@Nice…perfect way to do Online Training. I get it now.

  1. Also why do some Snatchers get so low…with your personal video and my technique, we don’t get so low with the squat.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@Nice…perfect way to do Online Training. I get it now.

  1. Also why do some Snatchers get so low…with your personal video and my technique, we don’t get so low with the squat. [/quote]

I get very low in the squat when I do full snatches, the videos in the library are just power snatches.

Power = catching the bar with the knees bent AT THE MOST 90 degrees.

Full squat = catching the bar below 90 degrees.

The former is the prefered for for athletes as it is less technical and builds more power, the later is preferred by competitive lifters since it allows you to lift more weight when your technique is solid.

I started getting wrist pain after extensive high pulling and snatching
any tips for avoiding it ? I am wrapping them but that doesnt seem to do much
is there a special stretch or bands oly lifter use ??

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
I started getting wrist pain after extensive high pulling and snatching
any tips for avoiding it ? I am wrapping them but that doesnt seem to do much
is there a special stretch or bands oly lifter use ??[/quote]

They do regular wrist stretches and circles… but nothing special. If I could see a video of your technique I might better be able to help, their might be some technique flaw that is causing the issue.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

They do regular wrist stretches and circles… but nothing special. If I could see a video of your technique I might better be able to help, their might be some technique flaw that is causing the issue.[/quote]

i do have relatively long arms so my grip is pretty wide
i ll try to get a video

Speaking of Grips…on the snatch I basically measure out a close shoulder grip, then one grip outside of that for my regular bench grip then one grip outside of that for the wide snatch grip…

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Speaking of Grips…on the snatch I basically measure out a close shoulder grip, then one grip outside of that for my regular bench grip then one grip outside of that for the wide snatch grip…[/quote]

For the proper grip width, stand up with the barbell in your hands. Bend the knees a few degrees. There should be a crease formed by the angle of the thigh and pelvis… the proper snatch grip is the one where the bar is in the crease with the arms straight.

CT you were talking about injuries a few posts ago and just kinda made me think since doing your layer system with tons of SGHP and power snatch’s as well my shoulder’s have never felt better.I have had plenty of pinched nerves,imbalances etc and now none of these problems for months.I’ve never felt better really.Anyway just another plus i guess for me with these types of lifts.