High Protein Yogurt

I love yogurt but have avoided it the past couple of years because of too many carbs and not enough protein.

However…now Trader Joe’s has “Greek Style” yogurt. Check out this nutrition info:

Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 0g
Total Carbs: 5g
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 20g

Yogurt is back on the menu!

Yup its good stuff and as close to real yogurt as youll find in the states

Phill

Hey Phill, now that your avatar is bigger and I can actually see it…is that a hand-drawn self-portrait?

Yeah, isn’t that the coolest avatar?

About the greek yogart - once you try it, other american yogarts seem lame. Really good stuff.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
Hey Phill, now that your avatar is bigger and I can actually see it…is that a hand-drawn self-portrait?[/quote]

Ha thanks

Yhea its hand painted thx guys

sorry for the highjack

Phill

I’ve had Fage greek yogurt, but not Trader Joes. It was yummy, but expensive.

What I’ve been doing for a while now is buying Dannon all natural nonfat plain yogurt (only ingredient is milk and yogurt cultures) and adding a scoop of vanilla Metabolic Drive. I usually add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, too. Yummy, high protein yogurt! :slight_smile:

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
I’ve had Fage greek yogurt, but not Trader Joes. It was yummy, but expensive.

What I’ve been doing for a while now is buying Dannon all natural nonfat plain yogurt (only ingredient is milk and yogurt cultures) and adding a scoop of vanilla Metabolic Drive. I usually add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, too. Yummy, high protein yogurt! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Im pretty sure Fage is the one he’s talking of Jilly The sell it at TJ’s.

THat is a great combo ya got there as well

:slight_smile:

Phill

The one I’m talking about is under the Trader Joe’s label. I think it was $1.99 for a 16-oz container.

I only get to Trader Joe’s rarely, but I will definitely look for it next time I’m there. Thanks!

I’ve had it. It tastes really good too. To me at least. Trader Joes is terrific. Great food at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I’ve had it. It tastes really good too. To me at least. Trader Joes is terrific. Great food at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods.[/quote]

Hey excellent thread, I was using the Trader Joes "European" yogurt which wasn't packing the same protein punch,(8-9), but still looked better than regular stuff for the rest of the macros..but this greek style looks terrific! How was the pricing?

Phil, so did you say that the avatar IS a self portrait? Wow, it does look pretty impressive, reminds me of that trippy 3D animation that was on HBO shorts a while back, I don't know if you've seen that, but it's wild..

Anyway, this is great news, as those friendly bacteria in yogurt are fantastic for us, and now we can eat it w/out worrying about a bunch of yukky crud mixed in w/it.

cheers, ToneBone

for all in the great white north looking for decent plain yogurt, i have come across 2 types that are better than the rest, though not on par with the greek-style for protein content.

in BC, olympic dairy (www.olympicdairy.com) has a plain, full-fat orgainic yogurt made with a more extensive bacterial culture. though carbs are reported at 12g, it is more like 4g digestible. available in 1.75kg bulk container at local IGAs, they also have fat-free versions in 650g tins if you really want to cut calories. mix with a scoop of Metabolic Drive and you have the best chocolate pudding money can buy, taste and nutrient-wise.

in Ontario, there is a plain 2% yogurt by stoneyfield farms which has twice the CLA levels as competing products. it is natural and also contains more than the usual strains of bacteria. this tastes creamier than the 2% would lead you to believe and has the highest protein levels of any ‘normal’ yogurt i have seen. carried in Zehrs supermarkets among others.

to up the protein without using powders, i add salt-free dry curd cottage cheese and eat it plain.

yogurt that is not plain is usually bullshit, it has 2 or 3 species of bacteria versus 6 or more for the ones i mentioned. i won’t even mention what they can fruit on the bottom.

if anyone in BC knows where to get some of the greek-style yogurt, please post.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
I love yogurt but have avoided it the past couple of years because of too many carbs and not enough protein.

However…now Trader Joe’s has “Greek Style” yogurt. Check out this nutrition info:

Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 0g
Total Carbs: 5g
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 20g

Yogurt is back on the menu![/quote]

I just bought this today after reading this thread and i have to say, THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THIS! I loved it.

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
I’ve had it. It tastes really good too. To me at least. Trader Joes is terrific. Great food at a fraction of the cost of Whole Foods.

Hey excellent thread, I was using the Trader Joes "European" yogurt which wasn't packing the same protein punch,(8-9), but still looked better than regular stuff for the rest of the macros..but this greek style looks terrific! How was the pricing?

Phil, so did you say that the avatar IS a self portrait? Wow, it does look pretty impressive, reminds me of that trippy 3D animation that was on HBO shorts a while back, I don't know if you've seen that, but it's wild..

Anyway, this is great news, as those friendly bacteria in yogurt are fantastic for us, and now we can eat it w/out worrying about a bunch of yukky crud mixed in w/it.

cheers, ToneBone[/quote]

Pricing here was $2.79 for a 2.5 cup container.